Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a X738, 2 years old with 60 hrs, which has pushed blue smoke for short period of time at start up. Today it blew blue smoke while mowing. It lasts a couple seconds, occurs about every 5 minutes and blows different amounts of smoke each time. One time it is a puff, next time you think you’re in a ‘76 Gremlin. I looked for a crankcase breather thinking it may be the cause but can’t locate it. Engine oil looks good, no fuel in it. Air filter looks good. The engine doesn’t miss a beat while happening. After an hour of this it stopped doing it. ???

·
Registered
543 Posts
Did you recently change the oil?

Reactions: Jr Mint

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Maybe overfilled the Crank Case? If not, I would bring it up to the dealer just to get the issue documented in case it gets worse. My 1994 Vintage 445 does the puff on startup, but it has almost 1100 hours on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe overfilled the Crank Case? If not, I would bring it up to the dealer just to get the issue documented in case it gets worse. My 1994 Vintage 445 does the puff on startup, but it has almost 1100 hours on it.
I checked the level and it is spot on. Thanks, I will be getting ahold of the dealer to document. Does anyone know if there is a crankcase breather on these and if so, where it is?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Was thinking maybe the oil change/type of oil could have something to do with it.
Kinda doubt it but you never know.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Mine was giving a little smoke at start-up.
Didn't worry about it to much, because it quickly cleared.

I had checked it after they drove it off the trailer at delivery and the engine oil level appeared ok.
Eventually I checked the oil the correct way -- with engine cold -- as in before the first start of the day -- and found it was over full. (and I new better....:mad:)

Decided to use the fancy oil drain valve on these to drain out some oil and get it down to the correct level.
No more smoke at start-up.

I think someone had driven it to a workstation to do the pre-delivery and had checked it, then topped it up, too soon after engine had been run

Be sure to do the oil level check on a cold engine that has not been run recently - seems to take a while for oil to all drain back. This effect is likely worse on and engine that wasn't run long enough to get hot. Cold oil will run back slower than hot oil.

On the same sort of subject that found that while the trans oil level was ok at delivery, it must have had some air that hadn't been purged from the system.
After checks after several mowing sessions it took a little over a quart to get the hydro oi level to stabilize at 'full'.

Engine oil should be checked with dipstick pushed all the way in.

OTOH, hydrostat oil should be checked with the dipstick resting on the top of the fill tube -- not screwed in.

Low Vis Hydro oil is inexpensive from JD dealer (like $4 or $5 for a quart/litre)
No reason to go to aftermarket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.