Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth the hassle to install the 3 point lift on my x738? I would probably pick up a box blade for it but I don’t know if it’s really needed. 95% of what I do is mowing and snow removal.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I love having the 3PH on my x738.

It being "worth it" is a very subjective thing. For me it was 100% worth it and I wouldn't like the machine nearly as much with out it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
On all of my tractors past I've had a powered sleeve hitch. Last year when I knew I would be doing some serious ground work I sold off the old GT18 and bought an X580, but kept all of my old sleeve hitch attachments. I managed to do most of the work needed, but this year I decided to upgrade to my last tractor, which was an X738, and kept all of my old sleeve hitch attachments. When I ordered the X738 I ordered it with front quick hitch, blade with additional hydraulics, 48" mower deck, and 3pt hitch.

I'm almost done converting my attachments from sleeve to 2" receiver type or 3pt as needed, and am ridding myself of sleeve attachments that just don't get it and replacing them with 3pt attachments. And I've also picked up some attachments that I couldn't put on a sleeve hitch. One of those attachments is a 5' plug aerator, and the other is a simple rear platform. I put an Imatch type hitch on the back and use what many call a trailer mover in that Imatch for all of the 2" receiver converted attachments.

The point? I can do whatever I need to do, can find an attachments at a very reasonable price if needed, and don't need to lift attachments anymore. And that's huge for a guy that's 68 and just had a chest operation.

Buy the hitch and never look back.

PS - Mowed, swept, aerated, fertilized, and seeded my lawn this weekend in 6 hours without lifting one attachment. Had all day Sunday for food beer and football. Thank you 3pt hitch.

Picture is before Imatch.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
First thing I did when I got my used X595 was to put a 3 pt hitch on. Got a Heavy hitch to start then add a plow for plow days.:good2: Add the pto and got a spreader,then an aerator.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm going to join in on the pic fest showing off the loaded butt of the x7.

I really do love the 3PH on my x7.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Is it worth the hassle to install the 3 point lift on my x738? I would probably pick up a box blade for it but I don’t know if it’s really needed. 95% of what I do is mowing and snow removal.
I have Had a Limited Cat 1 3point hitch since 2003 Starting On a X485(older Version of a X730) and My Current X748 . I would Not own a X700 series sized Garden tractor without one. The Limited Cat 1 3point hitch open's a Lot of Possibilities. I have also always Had a Rear PTO as well. But the 3 point Hitch alone does Open up the Option of Tilling by itself with a 42inch Hydraulic driven tiller which is run off a Mid PTO Pump . In My case Having a rear PTO I Can run a 3point spreader. If You Plan On doing any aerator. There are Many companies that Make 3 point aerator's that would work On the X700 series It just Nice to Have Control Over ground engaging attachments Like aerator's Instead of Having to reach Back for a Lever On the Aerator. There are even 3 point Lawn Rollers that would work. So it Useful for More Than Garden and standard ground engaging Implements . The 3 point is very useful for Ballast On the rear as well with things such as a Heavy Hitch https://heavyhitch.com/ and that attachment is useful beyond Just Ballast:bigthumb:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have Had a Limited Cat 1 3point hitch since 2003 Starting On a X485(older Version of a X730) and My Current X748 . I would Not own a X700 series sized Garden tractor without one. The Limited Cat 1 3point hitch open's a Lot of Possibilities. I have also always Had a Rear PTO as well. But the 3 point Hitch alone does Open up the Option of Tilling be itself with a 42inch Hydraulic driven tiller which is run off a Mid PTO Pump . In My case Having a rear PTO I Can run a 3point spreader. If You Plan On doing any aerator. There are Many companies that Make 3 point aerator's that would work On the X700 series It just Nice to Have Control Over ground engaging attachments Like aerator's Instead of Having to reach Back for a Lever On the Aerator. There are even 3 point Lawn Rollers that would work. So it Useful for More Than Garden and standard ground engaging Implements . The 3 point is very useful for Ballast On the rear as well with things such as a Heavy Hitch https://heavyhitch.com/ and that attachment is useful beyond Just Ballast:bigthumb:
And it was a conversation with you Sarge that pushed me into the X7 with the 3pt. I thank you, but my wife not so much.:nunu:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the 3 point work independently of the deck lift or do they operate in unison?

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Does the 3 point work independently of the deck lift or do they operate in unison?
They work in unison, but you can lock the deck in place.

The problem is doing dirt work you generally want to remove the deck so it doesn’t hang up on a pile or rock and get bent.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
And it was a conversation with you Sarge that pushed me into the X7 with the 3pt. I thank you, but my wife not so much.:nunu:
My wife gets revenge every time I buy something for MY Tractors I upgraded to a 2025R(Gen II) Last year This Year I had to Upgrade the TX Gator for a XUV835M Because she wanted Power steering so She Got $17,000 dollar revenge On me. I was Perfectly happy with our 2015 2WD TX we Bought used for $7,000 In 2017. :gizmo: So did Your wife Get revenge for the 3point hitch ?

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
In order to use the 3point Hitch with the deck all You do is set the Mower deck to 5 On Your Mowing deck depth stop and it Holds the deck up out of the way Then You Can use Your 3 point Hitch Independently. I bought this Valve Curl Lockout Valve for John Deere 45 Loader X475 X485 X495 X585 X595 X758 for My 45 Loader so I can use the 3 point Hitch Independently from the Loader. You could Probably use that Valve or this Valve Remote Lockout Valve Kit for John Deere X465 X475 X485 X495 X575 X729 X744 X750 and More On a Front quick Hitch to use the 3point Independently :bigthumb:

Reactions: nj82tj

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't think about locking my deck out, that makes sense. My x738 does have a valve in the hydraulic line that I can open and close when I put my front blade on in the winter and take my mower deck off. I'm planning on buying a blower this weekend and am on the fence about having the dealer install the 3PH while I'm at it...I would like the 3PH option though...I am mechanically inclined, but from what I read it's not worth trying to do the install yourself. It seems to be a real PITA.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
The hydraulic lockout doesn’t effect the deck vs 3 point because the same cylinder moves both. Manually locking the deck up is the only option.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have no problems pulling my 48" boxblade. Even with all 4 rippers all the way down I can still pull it through compacted rocky soil. You should put on around 100lbs of front ballast to keep the front tires in the dirt with something like a boxblade hanging off the rear of the tractor. Possibly more front ballast if you have a quick hitch, and or heavier box blade.

As others have said the 3PH and the mower deck share the same hydraulic cylinder. This means they always move at the same time. I always drop the deck and lock the deck draft arms in the highest position with the mower height selector knob when doing ground work with the 3PH. With the mower draft arms locked in the upper position the lowest point on the belly of the tractor is the hydraulic filter for the tranny. I have dented that with a rock by accident.

As for the installation of the 3PH if you are mechanically inclined it's doable at home. Some say it takes a while others say its easy. Re-locating the hydraulic cylinder seems to be the tricky part because its a very tight working area under the frame. Some dealers will charge as much as the parts cost in labor to install it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have no problems pulling my 48" boxblade. Even with all 4 rippers all the way down I can still pull it through compacted rocky soil. You should put on around 100lbs of front ballast to keep the front tires in the dirt with something like a boxblade hanging off the rear of the tractor. Possibly more front ballast if you have a quick hitch, and or heavier box blade.

As others have said the 3PH and the mower deck share the same hydraulic cylinder. This means they always move at the same time. I always drop the deck and lock the deck draft arms in the highest position with the mower height selector knob when doing ground work with the 3PH. With the mower draft arms locked in the upper position the lowest point on the belly of the tractor is the hydraulic filter for the tranny. I have dented that with a rock by accident.

As for the installation of the 3PH if you are mechanically inclined it's doable at home. Some say it takes a while others say its easy. Re-locating the hydraulic cylinder seems to be the tricky part because its a very tight working area under the frame. Some dealers will charge as much as the parts cost in labor to install it.
I just spoke with my dealer and they quoted me 1.5 hours to do the install. That's worth it to me. Looks like I have a blower and 3PH in my immediate future... Thanks all for the input!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I just spoke with my dealer and they quoted me 1.5 hours to do the install. That's worth it to me. Looks like I have a blower and 3PH in my immediate future... Thanks all for the input!
Smart move having the dealer install the 3pt hitch. I have no issues with any of this type of work, but if the machine is under warranty that's the best route to take.

You're in trouble now though. Once you get the hitch installed you'll be buying attachments you've never dreamed about. Did you also purchase the rear PTO? I haven't found a need for that just yet.

And Sarge, she got me good. The minute I mentioned X7 she had quotes coming in for a new SUV.:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Smart move having the dealer install the 3pt hitch. I have no issues with any of this type of work, but if the machine is under warranty that's the best route to take.

You're in trouble now though. Once you get the hitch installed you'll be buying attachments you've never dreamed about. Did you also purchase the rear PTO? I haven't found a need for that just yet.

And Sarge, she got me good. The minute I mentioned X7 she had quotes coming in for a new SUV.:flag_of_truce:

A box blade is what I'm after. I had one on a previous tractor and miss it. No rear PTO though. 1K is too much, at that point I'd just get a SCUT but I really don't need it. I'm trying to keep from going too far down the rabbit hole...the blower and 3PH will be just what I need to maintain my 4 acres.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts