Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased X738 in 2015 - had just finished removing mower deck and installing 47” snow blower. Piece of cake as always - started tractor and pulled it outside. Had tractor at half throttle and decided to pull the PTO switch to make sure the blower turned which it immediately did effortlessly. I mention this as it’s the only potential error I made as in season I definitely would have been full throttle. I then pushed the PTO in and shut the tractor off. Tried to start the tractor ten minutes later and nothing - complete loss of power - lights won’t even turn on.

Verified the battery voltage (fully charged) - installed a new battery 6 weeks ago - 1st one since purchasing tractor. All electrical connections appear secure - no wires frayed. Since prior to the
power loss the last things I touched were the ignition and PTO switch I verified continuity of the ignition switch. I want to check the PTO switch but am unsure how to pull the PTO switch out.

Attaching a couple of photos - looks like the 2 thin arms under the switch could be compressed to allow the switch to be pulled out but they also appear to be plastic and I don’t want to break them. Anyone know how I can pull the switch to check continuity? Also any other ideas on what to check - I’ve got 200 hours flawless operation prior to this incident.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Green Automotive design

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Just wondering have you checked your fuses,, , not sure of your model 30a starter fuse,
Yes battery was replaced 6 weeks ago,, recheck all connections. loose Post or Neg term. They may look tight but one could be loose.
check both 20 amp fuses

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - forgot to mention - yes checked all fuses and swapped out / rotated the relays with no change. Battery connections are definitely tight and clean. Thanks - I should have included.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Without a wiring diagram, we and you are just guessing where to check. I would recommend trying to find a service manual even if you have to pay JDs price. Probably will still be cheaper than having the dealer look at it and a lot faster turnaround

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Without a wiring diagram, we and you are just guessing where to check. I would recommend trying to find a service manual even if you have to pay JDs price. Probably will still be cheaper than having the dealer look at it and a lot faster turnaround
Thanks - I think I’ll need to but would like to be able to test the continuity on the PTO switch first. If i can’t get any guidance on how to pull the switch I’ll try what I think works and just replace it if I snap the little arms.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Time to use a volt meter..start at the battery 12.6 volts ....checking voltage and work your way to to the Ign sw.
Even though the battery is new it could have a weak cell connector...open circuit under heavy current load...
Check ground cable, starter cable etc..
Probably something simple.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You mention the tractor has no lights or any response to the key.

The PTO switch will only kill engine run and motor starter circuits. If you have no lights or power to anything else the PTO switch isn't your problem.

Before you go nuts check the tractor with a known good starting battery maybe jump it to a car or truck. Your tractor battery could be shorted internally. You may have no load voltage but as soon as you try to use the battery it will go dead. Batteries can and will fail suddenly with no warning.

The lights on your tractor are a very simple circuit. They get power from the main relay through the switch and out to the lights (head lights \ taillight ).

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts

The PTO switch will only kill engine run and motor starter circuits. If you have no lights or power to anything else the PTO switch isn't your problem.

Before you go nuts check the tractor with a known good starting battery maybe jump it to a car or truck. Your tractor battery could be shorted internally. You may have no load voltage but as soon as you try to use the battery it will go dead. Batteries can and will fail suddenly with no warning.

The lights on your tractor are a very simple circuit. They get power from the main relay through the switch and out to the lights (head lights \ taillight ).
X2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for confirming the PTO does not affect the lights. When I purchased and installed the new battery it took over 12 hours for the trickle charger to go green showing it was fully charged - I thought that seemed excessive for a new “charged” battery. Since I’ve read it might be risky to jump the tractor (could fry the controller) I’m just going to buy another battery and give it a shot. FYI - when I checked the voltage with my fluke it read 12.87

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Are you 100% certain the battery cables are clean and tight? This sounds exactly like the symptoms of a battery connection problem. Have had it happen often in my trucks. Turn the key on and everything comes alive until the starter engages, then nothing. Everything electrical goes dead including the headlights. Pull each battery cable off, clean the terminals on both the battery and the cable, put it back together good and tight and she fires right up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks - yes they are clean and tight. When I pulled the old battery there was very little corrosion on the terminals and the cables were in great condition. I cleaned tightened and some grease over the terminals. I did double check early yesterday when I checked the voltage on the battery. Prior to checking I was pretty confident I was going to find a dead battery but it might be a bad battery as CJ above mentioned.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks for confirming the PTO does not affect the lights. When I purchased and installed the new battery it took over 12 hours for the trickle charger to go green showing it was fully charged - I thought that seemed excessive for a new “charged” battery. Since I’ve read it might be risky to jump the tractor (could fry the controller) I’m just going to buy another battery and give it a shot. FYI - when I checked the voltage with my fluke it read 12.87
When you purchase a "new" battery it may have sat on the shelf for months. Sometimes they are just not charged up to 100% before leaving the factory, even if only a couple weeks old. 12 hours is not bad for a 1 map charger to top off a battery. I put all my newly purchased batteries on a maintainer for 24 to 48 hours before install to give a good saturation charge.

I would think a load test will tell the story. If that checks out - could possibly be the switch.

Reactions: X758er

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I won't guarantee this is correct as I found it online!
Rectangle Slope Schematic Font Parallel

If it is correct, start checking fuses. If you have a power port, turn it on and check power there. I couldn't locate the other 3 sheets, but this is a start AFTER verifying/cleaning battery cables! Bob

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Since I’ve read it might be risky to jump the tractor (could fry the controller) I’m just going to buy another battery and give it a shot. FYI - when I checked the voltage with my fluke it read 12.87
Reading that voltage means nothing, except it shows battery has 12.87 V.
it isn't showing what V it has when under load.

Take the battery to AutoZone, Wally World, Advance Auto , your dealer and let them LOAD TEST your battery.

Reactions: X758er and rwmeyer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you purchase a "new" battery it may have sat on the shelf for months. Sometimes they are just not charged up to 100% before leaving the factory, even if only a couple weeks old. 12 hours is not bad for a 1 map charger to top off a battery. I put all my newly purchased batteries on a maintainer for 24 to 48 hours before install to give a good saturation charge.

I would think a load test will tell the story. If that checks out - could possibly be the switch.
Thanks for the info on new battery charge times etc - good to know my charge time was normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I won't guarantee this is correct as I found it online!
View attachment 816894

If it is correct, start checking fuses. If you have a power port, turn it on and check power there. I couldn't locate the other 3 sheets, but this is a start AFTER verifying/cleaning battery cables! Bob
Thanks! I’ll check this out tomorrow - yes I do have the power port - great idea to see if it has power. I verified all the fuses in the top block - and rotated each of the relays with no impact

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Take the battery to AutoZone, Wally World, Advance Auto , your dealer and let them LOAD TEST your battery.
Excellent! There’s an Autozone in town - I’ll run it over in the a.m. - thanks!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

Yup, or could also just monitor battery voltage while putting a load on it.

Except I wouldn't trust wally world employees to test a battery correctly or even change oil. I actually got an auto care center employee to look up a wiper blade sharpener for me. Umm... knowledge test FAIL! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
543 Posts
A good battery load test ...probably will solve this problem.....maybe😁

Reactions: etcallhome
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.