Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a x738 (4x4 hydro) with 800hrs and after running it down the asphalt realized something is not quite right with the front right wheel. Theres a sort of clicking sound, will temporarily go away if turning the wheel and the wheel has a noticeable wobble.

-Hydro oil is at normal level
-Axle rpms are within normal spec
-Wheel is not abnormally loose
-no sound when wheel is off the ground and moving

can anybody help?

·
Premium Member
16,440 Posts
There's a lot of parts behind those wheels. Here is the right side.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Which set lol?
For starters..
Jack the front up, and put the axle on a solid stand. Grab the wheel, (one hand on top, one hand on bottom) and rock it from top to bottom, and left to right.
Odds are, it will be the bearing(s) closest to the wheel. Then you'll have a better idea, which bearings.

Reactions: jgayman

·
Premium Member
13,668 Posts
Once you get the wheel off the ground and the front axle jacked up, it would be a matter of elimination at that point as to what's loose and clicking. Clearly, the front axle shouldn't be doing either. Have you checked the fluid level in the axle for debris?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The front wheel bearings gone bad, that gets me to wonder, what that tractor was used for, before it was sold by the previous owner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For starters..
Jack the front up, and put the axle on a solid stand. Grab the wheel, (one hand on top, one hand on bottom) and rock it from top to bottom, and left to right.
Odds are, it will be the bearing(s) closest to the wheel. Then you'll have a better idea, which bearings.
The wheel is not abnormally loose, this unfortunately isnt that simple

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once you get the wheel off the ground and the front axle jacked up, it would be a matter of elimination at that point as to what's loose and clicking. Clearly, the front axle shouldn't be doing either. Have you checked the fluid level in the axle for debris?
I have not checked for debris. Would draining some oil from drain plug be the best way to test this?

If I start taking apart the one side, at what point will the axle fluid need be drained?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The front wheel bearings gone bad, that gets me to wonder, what that tractor was used for, before it was sold by the previous owner.
Thats a rabbit hole not worth going down. But I imagine the seller knew something was up. If I drove it on asphalt rather than the grass I would of noticed.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The entire axle is filled with hydro fluid. You will need to drain it out before doing and disassembly beyond taking the wheel off.

If the wheel is wobbly I would start by looking at the wheel bearing. Looks like #23 on that drawing.

The next place I could see a wheel wobble come from is item 11 which looks like the bearing that holds the lower wheel housing to the axel.

The front axel is around $3500 to replace last I looked. I would be very cautious taking it apart and keep it very clean. The axle hydraulics are directly connected to the rear axel so you don't want dirt getting in there.

Reactions: MowinMurphy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The entire axle is filled with hydro fluid. You will need to drain it out before doing and disassembly beyond taking the wheel off.

If the wheel is wobbly I would start by looking at the wheel bearing. Looks like #23 on that drawing.

The next place I could see a wheel wobble come from is item 11 which looks like the bearing that holds the lower wheel housing to the axel.

The front axel is around $3500 to replace last I looked. I would be very cautious taking it apart and keep it very clean. The axle hydraulics are directly connected to the rear axel so you don't want dirt getting in there.
You think accessing item 23 would require draining of oil?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The entire axel is full of oil, from wheel to wheel.

Yes removal of any bearing from the axel Is going to mean draining of the oil in the axel.

Reactions: MowinMurphy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The rim it self has a wobble, does this indicate anything helpful in diagnosing?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts