Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was the first big blizzard in 10 years in my area. Total of 9" of snow with drifts from the wind. I have a 2016 x738 with JD54" blade. 9" blade extensions to make it a 72" blade. Six suitcase weights on back with a click-n-go bracket.
So this is the first real test since owning the machine. The results of the x738 that it could barely handle that much snow. It got stuck several times. I even had to get the snow blower out to make a wide path because the x738 could not make it up the hill where it drifted.
A lot of people on here claim how wonderful it pushes in deep snow. I had to make several passes going forward and reverse where the snow drifted. My opinion is that it pushes snow great 8" or less. Anything close to 10" with drifts it can't really handle it.

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Sounds like a simple traction issue.

GET THEE A SET OF TIRE CHAINS PRONTO! :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
It was the first big blizzard in 10 years in my area. Total of 9" of snow with drifts from the wind. . . . . My opinion is that it pushes snow great 8" or less. Anything close to 10" with drifts it can't really handle it.
Drifted snow, if not the worst, is close to it. The light fluffy stuff is a none factor. We had a sideways snow storm yesterday. After the wind went down yesterday evening, I tried to attack it with the snowblower. Lot's of back and forth, but finally got to the highway, about a half mile. I could actually drive on top of the drifts they were packed so hard from the 30 - 40 MPH winds. It was not wet snow as was around 0°F or below the whole time. Today, I blew up to the neighbors at the end of the road. He has a plow on a pickup, but couldn't touch this stuff. After a couple of passes with the blower, he was able to get his truck going up and down the road. Teamwork, I guess.

I'm going to go see the dealer about chains tomorrow, that is if we can get out of here. Otherwise, a phone call away. Or check online. Have R4 14-17.5s iirc.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
A 6ft blade is a big blade to push 9" of snow with. Just because you CAN doesn't mean you should. Maybe remove the extensions or plow twice instead of wait for it to be all done. Just my 2 cents...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I agree with JDSwan87 that the 6' blade is to big for that amount of snow. I have a 6' blade & a 54" blade that I can choose between, for my X739, depending on the amount of snow.
I believe I would have removed the extensions based on the amount of snow you had.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I plowed commercially for fifteen years or so.
I used full sized, big block or diesel pickups.
I have had 30 inches of snow that I could move in one pass and I have had 9 inches of snow that forced my blade to tilt forward and made my truck crab sideways as I pushed.
These were 7-8+ thousand pound trucks with 8 foot blades.
I agree with the others about the extensions in this type situation.
Neither a pickup nor a garden tractor are made to do the work of a dozer.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Put a snowblower on the front of it, some chains on the back, and you will laugh at 3 or even 4 foot snow drifts.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem removing the blade extensions is that when I angle the blade it does not make a wide enough path for my rear tires to clear. That is the reason for the extensions.

Some say get chains. Chains are a pain to deal with plus I read several post on here the people claim the tires on my tractor are good enough not to add chains.

It doesn't snow enough every year to justify the cost to buy a snow blower for the front of the tractor. It has been 10 years since the last major snow storm. I just read this winter it snowed a total just over 50". It has been the most snow in nearly 60 years. I almost sold my walk behind snowblower since I didn't use it for the last 5 years until now. I guess I'm going to keep it for now since I won't know if it going to be a another 10 years or sooner for the next blizzard. Next time I will use the walk behind snowblower for my 300' drive if it ever snows a lot again. It will just take a while to do my drive since it is only 26" wide 2 stage.

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
Yes chains would help, yes using a front mounted snow blower might be better too, maybe. However, if this type of snow event is an infrequent occurrence, is the 54" blade not clearing the width of the machine, that big of a deal? Forgive me if I'm missing something.:unknown:

I am using a 54" blade on my 1026R. Yes it could stand to be wider. And yes, I make a couple extra passes to make up for the fact that it's not wider.

·
Premium Member
14,741 Posts
Complaining of x738 won't handle 9" of snow using blade extensions and no chains...:dunno::dunno:

Yes first path is a pain, , but add some more weight to the rear end and take smaller bites.

The other year was using Harleys JD455 ,54" blade chains with tires filled pushing 8-15" of snow. Yep , had a hard time clearing his driveway, after 20 mins , backed tractor in his garage and found 2 -50# bags of something, put them in the cab behind the seat. Made a world of difference and I knew it would , if I could have found another bag or something else I would have added it also.

As others have said , all machines have a limit, with the extensions you went way past the limits. Agree making a turn without the extensions is tough, but you learn how to handle that problem without using extensions.

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Some say get chains. Chains are a pain to deal with plus I read several post on here the people claim the tires on my tractor are good enough not to add chains.
I think everyone will agree that chains are a PITA but it is a necessary evil for most of us.

As for those people that claim your tires are good enough without chains, I think you've already proved them wrong.

I almost sold my walk behind snowblower since I didn't use it for the last 5 years until now. I guess I'm going to keep it for now since I won't know if it going to be a another 10 years or sooner for the next blizzard.
Sounds like a good plan. Even though I have a 54" front blower and 5-foot rear blade on my 2720, I kept my old 20+ year old 33" 13HP MTD walk-behind. I wouldn't get all that much for it anyway and you never know. I prep it before each winter just like the rest of my equipment and it sits at the ready in the back of the garage.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Yes chains would help, yes using a front mounted snow blower might be better too, maybe. However, if this type of snow event is an infrequent occurrence, is the 54" blade not clearing the width of the machine, that big of a deal? Forgive me if I'm missing something.:unknown:

I am using a 54" blade on my 1026R. Yes it could stand to be wider. And yes, I make a couple extra passes to make up for the fact that it's not wider.
I've got the same setup. There are times that I start looking at the 60" Deere blade. Then we got a 8-10" dump of heavy wet snow a week ago and I decided that the 54" will stay. I don't run chains, just eight suitcase weights on the 3pt and it had no problems pushing that 10" snowfall with the blade straight. Angled i'd end up sideways. Can i run over some of the snow with the blade angled? Sure, but not really a big deal to me.

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
I've got the same setup. There are times that I start looking at the 60" Deere blade. Then we got a 8-10" dump of heavy wet snow a week ago and I decided that the 54" will stay. I don't run chains, just eight suitcase weights on the 3pt and it had no problems pushing that 10" snowfall with the blade straight. Angled i'd end up sideways. Can i run over some of the snow with the blade angled? Sure, but not really a big deal to me.
When you use a plow you will usually always find situations that exceed its capability. On my 2720 I have chains on all four tires and loaded rear tires and I went with a 5-foot rear blade. Yes, with lighter snows I could probably easily handle a 6-7 foot blade but even with the 5-foot blade on rare occasions I've had wet crusty snows that have completely stopped me in my tracks. I'm talking three chained tires spinning (thanks open front diff) with no movement and I have to raise the blade to get going.

I sometimes have to make an extra pass or two but at least I usually get through it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I'm sure plows work great in smaller snowfalls but when you get a big dumping of snow or the winter season extends on for a while and you get a lot of buildup on the sides of the driveway it sure is nicer to have a snowblower. My 54" blower worked well yesterday for our large dumping. It required me to go fairly slow to move that much snow through the blower, especially on the first pass through the deep stuff, but there were no issues. Had to back up a couple times because so much snow was coming over the top of the blower housing. :) This was blown-in, dense snow. Nothing fluffy about this. Not concrete hard but dense enough that it often broke off in large chunks.

These pictures were taken later, not on the first pass, to show the overall depth. But it went through that much on the first pass. Probably the first time since buying this x758 in 2016 that I had to blow through snow that was consistently deeper than the blower.

Rob

·
Registered
140 Posts
These pictures were taken later, not on the first pass, to show the overall depth. But it went through that much on the first pass. Probably the first time since buying this x758 in 2016 that I had to blow through snow that was consistently deeper than the blower.

Rob
Those pictures are fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
another vote for chains! i leave mine on year round, never any issues on the lawn.
this was last March, i have no extra weights other than the cab and loaded rear tires.
don't think i would ever want to try to push this stuff!
not sure what the snowmobiler stopped for, but it shows some reference
for the snowbanks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts