Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2016 x738 last fall and used the mower once last fall before taking the deck off to install the snow blade. After removing the snow blade and installing the mower deck I started to mow last weekend. I noticed raising and lowering the mower deck works intermittent. If it stops working I stand on the mower deck while raising and lowering to get it working again. I'm wondering if it is low on hydraulic oil? Is there a way to check the oil level?
It only has 5 hours on the tractor.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I bought a 2016 x738 last fall and used the mower once last fall before taking the deck off to install the snow blade. After removing the snow blade and installing the mower deck I started to mow last weekend. I noticed raising and lowering the mower deck works intermittent. If it stops working I stand on the mower deck while raising and lowering to get it working again. I'm wondering if it is low on hydraulic oil? Is there a way to check the oil level?
It only has 5 hours on the tractor.
You check the hydro oil with the screw out dip stick under the seat.

No owners manual?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Did you completely open the bypass valve when you took the blade off & put the mower deck back on? The valve is behind the quick connectors on the tractor.

The dip stick to check the transmission fluid level is under the front of the seat suspension. Check the fluid level when it is cool. Slide the seat all of the way back. Clean dirt off of the dip stick. Unscrew the dipstick. Wipe fluid off it. Reinsert the dipstick back in the tube. Just let the threaded part set on top of the tube. remove the dipstick & read the fluid level. Add fluid if it is low.

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
Did you completely open the bypass valve when you took the blade off & put the mower deck back on? The valve is behind the quick connectors on the tractor.

The dip stick to check the transmission fluid level is under the front of the seat suspension. Check the fluid level when it is cool. Slide the seat all of the way back. Clean dirt off of the dip stick. Unscrew the dipstick. Wipe fluid off it. Reinsert the dipstick back in the tube. Just let the threaded part set on top of the tube. remove the dipstick & read the fluid level. Add fluid if it is low.

Everything Chris R replied :bigthumb::bigthumb: plus not being a SA. but everything is in the manual.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

If you used it for snowblowing the valve thing is likely your problem.

Rob

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the valve is open all the way. The oil level reads low on the dip stick. It shows 3mm on the bottom of the dip stick. I know I lost some oil when removing the snow blade since some of the oil stayed in the snow blade lines and cylinders.
I guess I will make a trip to the JD dealer for some hy-gard.

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
Yes, the valve is open all the way. The oil level reads low on the dip stick. It shows 3mm on the bottom of the dip stick. I know I lost some oil when removing the snow blade since some of the oil stayed in the snow blade lines and cylinders.
I guess I will make a trip to the JD dealer for some hy-gard.
These X738's are touchy with low oil. I didn't check mine when it was new and it was making a lot of noise when stepping on the forward or rear pedals.. Checked the oil and it wasn't even showing on the stick, filled it up and ran it for a bit, going thru the deck raising and lowering a few times and let the lever stay for a bit too even at the full and lower spots to get any air out then let it cool down and the level was fine and noise gone.. You don't have to have it full bore to raise or lower the deck on the 738, even at idle it will work... or it should. Make sure that short driveshaft is greased too or you will hear it start squeaking on the slip yoke... U joints always keep them lubed up of course.. Have a good one and good luck...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts