Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2017 x738 and its great. The dealership did a terrible job assembling everything but I fixed all of those issues. I do have one concern though and I was hoping someone could provide some guidance. When driving the tractor in a straight line, the front axle/transmission makes constant noise but as soon as I turn the wheel in either direction the noise goes away. If I ride in a circle there is absolutely no noise. I figure this has something to do with the way the machine pushes the front wheels but can't quite figure it out being a novice. I have checked the transmission fluid level and did add 1.5 quarts when I got the machine a few months back so I don't think that is the issue. Thanks for any assistance!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Does it go away or lessen when the hydro fluid warms up.The 4wd has those hydro motors that change speed when you turn so you don't tear the lawn up when turning.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Is it still under warranty.I know mine will whine a little (rear end) when cold but goes away once warm.
I believe there is lines to the front end to run those hydro motors the only thing I can think of is an air lock in the front that it's not getting enough oil flow or a restricted line.Check the hydro level again.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
In your book does it say anything about changing the hydro oil if after the fluid is put in to run a certain way to purge the air out and recheck the level.If it was down a qt the dealer may not have done the procedure correctly.Be sure your not over full also.

·
Premium Member
14,713 Posts
I'm with others , check the fluid level , and one make sure it isn't over filled. Hard to imagine dealer left unit leave his lot 1 1/2 qt low but anything is possible.

One good thing it is under warranty , let the dealer aware of the noise.

I changed the fluid on the SIL fathers x738 and haven't heard the noise you're describing. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I have a X738 too, what noise are you hearing as just asked? I hear a lot of noises that sound to weird at times especially with the Curtis hard side cab and my tractor fluid was down also when I received it from the dealer, about a quart.. If the sound is what I think it is, I've been told it's normal, hard to describe the noise and I do not have any way to take an audio of it.. MIne is three years old now and it still makes the noise especially going downhill at a good clip not under any load. Under load it's a whine, no load it's sort of whine to no whine regularly.:dunno:

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The noise isn't a rattle or metal hitting metal, it sounds more like a low pitch droning noise. I looked in the manual and there is nothing about bleeding the system but does mention filling the front axle first then the back. The manual does say to check the hydro level but 'Install dipstick until it rests on top of fill tube. Do not tighten dipstick." which I take as put the dipstick in, but do not make any turns. Using this method, the machine needed 1.5 quarts of oil to get to the beginning of the hash mark. If you screw the stick all the way in, then I believe you would be overfilled but that is not how I read the directions.

I would not be surprised that my dealer assembled or filled the machine incorrectly, they are quite terrible. For example, I had the metal mulch control kit installed at delivery and they used wrong parts which I had to correct for them by looking at the installation manual. Also, the middle blade would strike the metal mulch kit making a constant clanging noise which the tech described as "normal". I took the machine home and reinstalled everything and grinded a little of the mulch kit down to make enough clearance for the blades. Apparently they had a new hire from Turkey prepare my machine and they did not quality control it at all. Very frustrating.

·
Premium Member
14,713 Posts
The noise isn't a rattle or metal hitting metal, it sounds more like a low pitch droning noise. I looked in the manual and there is nothing about bleeding the system but does mention filling the front axle first then the back. The manual does say to check the hydro level but 'Install dipstick until it rests on top of fill tube. Do not tighten dipstick." which I take as put the dipstick in, but do not make any turns. Using this method, the machine needed 1.5 quarts of oil to get to the beginning of the hash mark. If you screw the stick all the way in, then I believe you would be overfilled but that is not how I read the directions.

I would not be surprised that my dealer assembled or filled the machine incorrectly, they are quite terrible. For example, I had the metal mulch control kit installed at delivery and they used wrong parts which I had to correct for them by looking at the installation manual. Also, the middle blade would strike the metal mulch kit making a constant clanging noise which the tech described as "normal". I took the machine home and reinstalled everything and grinded a little of the mulch kit down to make enough clearance for the blades. Apparently they had a new hire from Turkey prepare my machine and they did not quality control it at all. Very frustrating.

That is the correct way to check the hyd fluid. But I always try to keep the fluid to the upper end of the two has marks.
From the noise you are hearing sounds normal , but IMO I would let the dealer hear the noise and let them fix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My transmission was under filled by a quart as well, measuring with the trans dipstick unscrewed on top of the filler neck.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Your interpretation of how to check the axle fluid level is right. My x758 was fairly low too. Can't remember how much, but somewhere between 1/2 and 1 quart. I talked to the service manager at my dealer and he said that is fairly common on new tractors. Same as when you change the fluid. It just takes a while for the fluid to work its way through all parts of the system so you need to run the tractor a bit after filling and then refill. This is compounded if you hook up a new hydraulic implement like a snowblower that takes some fluid out of the system. My tractor came with the 54" snowblower.

Rob

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
Are you sure it's not just the typical whine/drone/growl noise that virtually all hydrostatic transmissions make?

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The noise and vibration has lessened now that there is 50 hours on the unit and I did a complete transmission and filter change. Thanks for everyone's insights and Merry Christmas all.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
The noise and vibration has lessened now that there is 50 hours on the unit and I did a complete transmission and filter change. Thanks for everyone's insights and Merry Christmas all.
Thanks for letting us know what has occurred EL. Glad you're satisfied with your 738.. Happy New Year... Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts