Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and also to the mountainous part of Tennessee.
My John Deere LX255 just died in these here hills. Because of that my wife and I decided we needed something that can climb a hill therefore, I'm about to order an X738.
I was wondering if anyone has added a John Deere cargo mount single bucket holder #lpjd100 on an X700 series and if you liked it? I can't see how it attaches so I don't know if it will fit.
Greenfarmparts sells it for about $39 I just don't want to order something that I can't use like I have done in the past.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Looking at the photos I am going to say no. It won't fit out of the box.

Depending on how creative you are anything can work though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Does the x738 have the necessary CargO mounts needed to mount the single carrier to the tractor? It doesn't look like it. You'd probably be better off with the dual bucket carrier, which JD says mounts to all series tractors. LPJD301

Rick

·
Registered
554 Posts
:wgtt:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your response I didn't know if I wanted a two bucket it looks like it's low enough to interfere with the hitch. I'll call the dealer but they usually don't know any more than the buyer. Certainly not as much as you all. Thanks again.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Congrats on the new machine you're going to love it.

If you are looking to carry buckets the dual bucket holder works just fine.

But since you are already getting the nice tractor add the 3ph to it and you can carry just about anything you want that weighs less than 600lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CJadamec:
Thank you for your response.
It's another $600☹.
Concerning the two buckets is it still possible to connect to the hitch?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I installed a Heavy Hitch receiver that takes standard 2" type stingers. Because of that I had to modify the 2 bucket holder but it works great and is much more convenient than taking a wagon.

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
The 3PH is really useful on these tractors. IMO its worth every penny wo have if you plan one doing any work with the tractor other than mow. The 3PH opens your world to Cat 1 implements which make the tractor soo much more useful. The x738 is vastly more capable machine than your outgoing LX255 the weight of the x738 alone is more than double the LX255. By the time you attach the mower deck fill it with fuel and sit on it you are around 1400lbs, and that's before you add any front of rear weights.

When using a heavy hitch or something similar for the bucket holder it should be out of the way of the 3PH arms. The 3PH arms are also removable by simply pulling 3 pins.

I would also make sure to get the front quick hitch with the tractor as well so that down the road the price to get into a snow blower or front blade isn't as steep. I still kick myself for not adding the front hitch into the purchase of my tractor.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
CJadamec:
Thank you for your response.
It's another $600☹.
Concerning the two buckets is it still possible to connect to the hitch?
John Deere offers the "Click N Go" mounting system for the rear of the x3xx, x5xx and x7xx machines. This is a universal system which allows you to mount attachments which are designed to work with the "Click N Go" system. If the bucket carrier option is Click N Go compatible, then it will be easy to put on and take off, which is likely what you are seeking.

Otherwise, you can use the approach like Firewood Bandit did for using the hitch ball to hold the 2 buckets mount, with some small modifications. If you don't have the means to make the modification, any local welding shop or even small engine repair shop likely could. You might even find a GTT member who would make the modification and ship the part to you for a reasonable fee......Just make sure the ball mount is made to fit the size hitch ball you plan to use. Most boat trailers use a 1 7/8" hitch ball or a 2" hitch ball and most larger trailers use a 2 5/16" hitch ball. Make the modification to fit the hitch ball you plan to use or its going to be loose and rattle on the ball, which you don't want.

Just about anyone who has ever used these machines with and without a 3 point hitch will tell you the $600 is well worth the investment. It expands the use of your machine dramatically and especially on hills, not TOWING something behind you but rather having it attached to the 3 point hitch means no jackknifing and no trouble backing up, etc. etc.

The number of options and functions for a machine with a 3ph makes the machine more useful. The reason you are considering adding the buckets is so you can carry things on your tractor. The 3ph expands that option to a level which transforms the machine.

Also, the MFWD drive system of the x738 is ideal for mowing on hills, it's the most stable and automatic system offered.

You are really going to like the new machine. Its so much better than your prior tractor, you are going to be looking for ways to spend time on it...............

By the way, welcome to the GTT forum........:bigthumb:

·
Registered
359 Posts
The 3PH is really useful on these tractors. IMO its worth every penny wo have if you plan one doing any work with the tractor other than mow. The 3PH opens your world to Cat 1 implements which make the tractor soo much more useful. The x738 is vastly more capable machine than your outgoing LX255 the weight of the x738 alone is more than double the LX255. By the time you attach the mower deck fill it with fuel and sit on it you are around 1400lbs, and that's before you add any front of rear weights.

When using a heavy hitch or something similar for the bucket holder it should be out of the way of the 3PH arms. The 3PH arms are also removable by simply pulling 3 pins.

I would also make sure to get the front quick hitch with the tractor as well so that down the road the price to get into a snow blower or front blade isn't as steep. I still kick myself for not adding the front hitch into the purchase of my tractor.
You are 100% absolutely correct. My X738 was delivered Friday and the 3pt was my first priority, next came the 54" blade with optional hydraulics. My 580 was a hell of a machine, but it's not even close to the 700 series, and I loved my 580. The trick is to make all of your sleeve hitch attachments work along with the 3pt attachments, and there's plenty of ways to do that. I have a grapple coming soon, and then the 738 will pay for itself.

And I have the new fancy wheels.:laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
You are 100% absolutely correct. My X738 was delivered Friday and the 3pt was my first priority, next came the 54" blade with optional hydraulics. My 580 was a hell of a machine, but it's not even close to the 700 series, and I loved my 580. The trick is to make all of your sleeve hitch attachments work along with the 3pt attachments, and there's plenty of ways to do that. I have a grapple coming soon, and then the 738 will pay for itself.

And I have the new fancy wheels.:laugh:

That is a nice looking ride you need to get some dirt on that thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey BOBL, i asked in the 3pt hitch thread but dont think you saw it... what made you decide to upgrade to the X738? just wondering what tasks you had in mind that caused you to upgrade your X580.

·
Registered
359 Posts
hey BOBL, i asked in the 3pt hitch thread but dont think you saw it... what made you decide to upgrade to the X738? just wondering what tasks you had in mind that caused you to upgrade your X580.
My house sits at the top of a hill with another 1/2 - 3/4 acre out back. The problem is that if you walk out my back basement door 20-25' you'll find yourself at a 20 foot drop off. The land is worth quite a bit and the end goal is to clean it up then sub divide right at the drop off. The land alone in this neck of the woods should go for over $300K. Regardless what I needed was a slightly bigger tractor with 4wd, 3pt hitch capabilities, and full 4 way hydraulics. I'm 68 and moving down trees, logs, boulders, brush, etc. is not something I want to fight with. The biggest deal will be the front grapple when it arrives, hopefully this week. Plus, my front yard is one steep hill that I've put a lot of work into over the past2 years since the road construction and destruction of my land. Climbing the hill was not an issue with the X580, even pulling half a ton of logs. The problem is that turns at the top tend to chew up the yard. The hydraulic front wheel drive doesn't do that. You can also feel the stability when crossing sideways, which is why I didn't want 4 wheel turn.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
My house sits at the top of a hill with another 1/2 - 3/4 acre out back. The problem is that if you walk out my back basement door 20-25' you'll find yourself at a 20 foot drop off. The land is worth quite a bit and the end goal is to clean it up then sub divide right at the drop off. The land alone in this neck of the woods should go for over $300K. Regardless what I needed was a slightly bigger tractor with 4wd, 3pt hitch capabilities, and full 4 way hydraulics. I'm 68 and moving down trees, logs, boulders, brush, etc. is not something I want to fight with. The biggest deal will be the front grapple when it arrives, hopefully this week. Plus, my front yard is one steep hill that I've put a lot of work into over the past2 years since the road construction and destruction of my land. Climbing the hill was not an issue with the X580, even pulling half a ton of logs. The problem is that turns at the top tend to chew up the yard. The hydraulic front wheel drive doesn't do that. You can also feel the stability when crossing sideways, which is why I didn't want 4 wheel turn.
Are you sure a X738 is big enough for you? I would have gone 1 Series at a minimum. Heck I am looking at a 3025E for those tasks. What front Grapple did you go with? I wasn't aware of a front grapple option for the X Series. If you happened to find a 45 series FEL (which is a tough find) or have a CTC like I do they have the front buckets pinned on. Not easy to swap also you have to add a second function to the hydraulics. Not to mention the PITA it is to have the 3pt tied to the same hydraulics as the deck lift and the dump/curl function which would also be tied to the grapple on the 2nd function.

I don't think there is a huge cost difference between the X738 and 1025R when you start adding things like 3pt and FEL. Maybe you still have time for the Green Promise. I would really test the X738 to make sure it does what you think it will over this first 30 days. A lot of people have made this mistake. While the 1025R is a little more top heavy, at least you have a ROPS if something does happen.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Innovative Tractor Attachments LLC – Bringing great tractor ideas to life!

They make a quick hitch compatible grapple for the front of x7 machines. Its one of those toys that I would buy if I had the cash hanging around.

There are still plenty of reasons to want an x7 over a 1 series. Yes they are similar in price but simply wanting a 3ph does not mean you want a 1 series.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Innovative Tractor Attachments LLC – Bringing great tractor ideas to life!

They make a quick hitch compatible grapple for the front of x7 machines. Its one of those toys that I would buy if I had the cash hanging around.

There are still plenty of reasons to want an x7 over a 1 series. Yes they are similar in price but simply wanting a 3ph does not mean you want a 1 series.
That sounds about right it being a "toy".

I am not talking about the 3pt being the tipping point to step up to a 1 Series. I have a 2002 X585 which is, following the renumbering many years ago, equivalent to a X738. I just don't have the click n' go stuff or drive over deck option. My frame was also designed for a FEL. Other than that we are talking the same 25HP EFI Kawasaki, shaft drive implements 4wd and such. Oh my 4wd is manual which I like better than AWD since I can lock it in or out of 4wd. That is important with FEL work.

Instead what I was referring to mainly moving downed trees, logs, boulders and brush. Which is why I put that in bold. Those tasks are going to be much easier with a full FEL and a machine more capable than a X Series. Once you start doing FEL type work on grade, you really should have a ROPS which isn't part of a X Series. Well that is if you like living. Even with close to 500# of ballast on my X585 it gets tippy. Which is why I am looking at moving up to a 3025E. I don't need mid PTO since I have long since retired my X Series from mowing duties. One of the biggest complaints I have with the X585 (this is the same on the X7xx) for using it for FEL work or any real work outside mowing, is that the 3pt and mower deck is tied to either a dump/curl or blade tilt function on a FEL or blade. Sure you can go around back and turn the stupid threaded rod about a million times to adjust the upper or lower limit or crawl under it and turn the lockout which will still allow the mower/3pt move, just slower. I have been considering modifying my X585 to a H3 but in the long run I am probably better just moving up to a more capable machine. There is too much stuff that I find I can't lift even with a reshimmed implement relief or I can't lift high enough because of the physical size of the machine. A conversion to H3 wouldn't address those limitations.

If all you plan on doing with a machine is snow removal, mowing and light ground work like tilling the X7xx can be a great machine. They sell them for a reason. Once you start getting into more ground engagement work like he is mentioning, that is where you very well likely would be better off in going up a size. Everyone has different needs and personally I have long since out grown the X Series and will move up to a 3 series once my ZTrak is paid off. It served me well for many many years and if I take my time and not try and push it, it can do what I have to get done.

·
Registered
450 Posts
One mans toy is another mans perfect tool.

Seeing as I have similar uses for my x738 as it appears Bob does, I would say I would never choose a 1 series for my property as my only machine. That's really the side I'm coming from. A 1 series is just a little bit too big in every way for it to be my lawn mower and grounds maintenance machine. From what Bob has posted he was very happy with what his x5 could do but he felt like the 2wd was an issue for the hills and damaging the lawn he just spent a ton of time redoing. Going to an AWD x7 is a huge improvement in that regard. The 1 series with its traditional 4WD and added weight can be very rough on a finished lawn that has a lot of turns and obstacles.

I'm not sure how the AWD drive on the newer x7's would do with back dragging a FEL for grading. Not sure if lifting the front tires would rob all that much power from the rear wheels. For pretty much every other FEL use I see the AWD as a big improvement over the traditional 4WD setup.

I get the appeal of the 1 series and the FEL. I really do but I'd rather have the better and more comfortable mower that doesn't rip up the lawn. Sure somethings are slower or less capable but that's a trade off you need to make when trying to buy a machine to do everything.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
One mans toy is another mans perfect tool.

Seeing as I have similar uses for my x738 as it appears Bob does, I would say I would never choose a 1 series for my property as my only machine. That's really the side I'm coming from. A 1 series is just a little bit too big in every way for it to be my lawn mower and grounds maintenance machine. From what Bob has posted he was very happy with what his x5 could do but he felt like the 2wd was an issue for the hills and damaging the lawn he just spent a ton of time redoing. Going to an AWD x7 is a huge improvement in that regard. The 1 series with its traditional 4WD and added weight can be very rough on a finished lawn that has a lot of turns and obstacles.

I'm not sure how the AWD drive on the newer x7's would do with back dragging a FEL for grading. Not sure if lifting the front tires would rob all that much power from the rear wheels. For pretty much every other FEL use I see the AWD as a big improvement over the traditional 4WD setup.

I get the appeal of the 1 series and the FEL. I really do but I'd rather have the better and more comfortable mower that doesn't rip up the lawn. Sure somethings are slower or less capable but that's a trade off you need to make when trying to buy a machine to do everything.
You don't have front brakes on a tractor. If you lift too much weight and remove too much traction from the rear wheels when going down a hill, I would want to be locked in 4wd so that I can stop. Will AWD provide braking action if rolling down a hill. :dunno: You can test it if you want. It isn't about the go it is all about being able to stop. That is the reason they (John Deere) says to always lock in 4wd when using a FEL. I back drag all the time with the FEL and locked in 4wd so AWD would likely have no impact there. It isn't like you are trying to run the FEL while needing front wheel traction at the same time. If you did it would be pretty rare. I guess that would be the only time I could see that it might be an issue. I doubt it though.

I totally agree that a machine that does everything can't do a task as one specifically designed to do that one thing. Simply put there are trade offs. I came pretty close to buying a X739. I bought a Z950R instead which is better at mowing than what the X739 or my X585 is because it does that one thing only. This way I could later go up to a 3E and not care about losing mid PTO for the same price as a 1025R. I did consider the 1025R as a single machine but at the time they didn't have a hopper collection system. Of course it came out 6 months later. Had it been available I would have had a harder decision. Like I said earlier, if your use is mowing, plowing/blowing snow and light ground engagement. That is where the X shines. As you get into more of the utility side of things, that is where you are better off going up a size and more importantly going up a category. Not only are they more capable, they are easier to operate as things like 3pt hitch are less of an afterthought. There is a reason the X falls under Lawn and Garden and 1 Series is a SCUT. That said, for a Garden machine they do a heck of a lot.

As far as the weight.

X738 - 953# (no mower or fuel)
1025R - 1444# (no mower or fuel)
Z950R - 1292#+ (with mower but no fuel) but I am pushing 2000# with the collection system and my lard butt.

The Ztrack doesn't damage the lawn. Well if I want to, I could by spinning in circles. I am talking weight/compression issues. I would be willing to bet that the trade off on loss of mowing ability for a 1025R is very minimal. Having manual 4wd and a manual diff lock means when you don't need the traction it isn't going to tear up stuff. You learn where you need to flip it in 4wd or hit the diff lock. I did with my X585. If you were comparing a X739, the 4ws would run circles around a 1025R but with the X738 you are already having to make two passes around every tree. AWD just means you don't have to pay attention as much.

That front grapple you showed is better than nothing. Is it better than picking up a log and try to get it in a trailer or pushing it around. Sure, but I look at what I would use a grapple for. A couple weeks ago we had a roll off at the house for the construction project. In the back corner of our lot a previous owner had dumped some cement that was left over from pouring a patio or something. A grapple would have been so much easier than me trying to wrestle it into the bucket to take it up and dump it into the roll off. While I could probably have picked up the cement with that little grapple, I would have no way of getting it in the roll off. We had a storm come through this weekend and had a large branch down over the road. That grapple would have allowed me to pick it up and take it down to the burn pile but the burn pile is about 4' tall right now so I would have to set it down and wrestle with it to get it on the pile. One on a FEL could lift it that high and drop it in the pile. While I don't normally have a roll off and I am not normally clearing old abandoned cement I would run into the large stick scenario all the time. We have lots of trees.

Artillian Grapple Does the Work of 6 Men - YouTube

Like I keep saying there are places for the X7xx. If there wasn't, there wouldn't be a market for them. Where many a member here has run into buyer's remorse is when you start getting into work that a SCUT was designed for but you are trying to do it with a X Series. All I said to Bob is to test it out during this first 30 days with all the tasks he wants to accomplish with it that he can. Doing big cleanup or rehab of land is not mowing. Maybe picking up boulders really means picking up rocks the size of a basketball. Should it meet his needs, great, if not he has 30 days to figure that out. I assume the Green Promise is still a thing. It would be best for him to figure that out sooner than later though. Come this fall, he would be stuck if it can't do what he expects. If a 1 Series was double the money then it is a harder pill to swallow. Back in the day when you could buy a 45 Series FEL, if you added a FEL, Rear PTO and 3PT to a X7xx it was actually cheaper to buy a 1026R. That adds a ROPS which is needed for safety. I have come close to rolling my X585 a couple times and I am not dealing with steep hills. A FEL significantly raises the center of gravity.

Bottom line is everyone has different needs and scenarios. Maybe you don't have the room to store multiple machines or even going up to a little bigger machine is just too much. If I lived in town, I wouldn't have two machines (though my father has 3) as I likely wouldn't have the room for them and would have to leave something outside. I have plenty of garage and accessory building space. Even before I started building the new garage. Don't tell my wife though...

:hide2:

·
Registered
359 Posts
That sounds about right it being a "toy".

I am not talking about the 3pt being the tipping point to step up to a 1 Series. I have a 2002 X585 which is, following the renumbering many years ago, equivalent to a X738. I just don't have the click n' go stuff or drive over deck option. My frame was also designed for a FEL. Other than that we are talking the same 25HP EFI Kawasaki, shaft drive implements 4wd and such. Oh my 4wd is manual which I like better than AWD since I can lock it in or out of 4wd. That is important with FEL work.

Instead what I was referring to mainly moving downed trees, logs, boulders and brush. Which is why I put that in bold. Those tasks are going to be much easier with a full FEL and a machine more capable than a X Series. Once you start doing FEL type work on grade, you really should have a ROPS which isn't part of a X Series. Well that is if you like living. Even with close to 500# of ballast on my X585 it gets tippy. Which is why I am looking at moving up to a 3025E. I don't need mid PTO since I have long since retired my X Series from mowing duties. One of the biggest complaints I have with the X585 (this is the same on the X7xx) for using it for FEL work or any real work outside mowing, is that the 3pt and mower deck is tied to either a dump/curl or blade tilt function on a FEL or blade. Sure you can go around back and turn the stupid threaded rod about a million times to adjust the upper or lower limit or crawl under it and turn the lockout which will still allow the mower/3pt move, just slower. I have been considering modifying my X585 to a H3 but in the long run I am probably better just moving up to a more capable machine. There is too much stuff that I find I can't lift even with a reshimmed implement relief or I can't lift high enough because of the physical size of the machine. A conversion to H3 wouldn't address those limitations.

If all you plan on doing with a machine is snow removal, mowing and light ground work like tilling the X7xx can be a great machine. They sell them for a reason. Once you start getting into more ground engagement work like he is mentioning, that is where you very well likely would be better off in going up a size. Everyone has different needs and personally I have long since out grown the X Series and will move up to a 3 series once my ZTrak is paid off. It served me well for many many years and if I take my time and not try and push it, it can do what I have to get done.
I think we need to take this grapple I'm talking about out of the toy section and move it directly to the men's section. :bigthumb:

If you take a look at the 1 series, and look closely, you'll find the 1 series and X7 signature series have many similarities, and yes I did take a good long hard look at the 1 series. What I found was a similar chassis, same engine, same size tires, selectable 4wd, and an FEL option. I don't need an FEL, and I don't want to have to lock my front wheels when I go for 4wd. I stopped doing that when I sold my 87' Bronco.

What I have now is the perfect machine for my needs. I have full front end hydraulics, a 3 point hitch, a mower deck, the ability to use all of the attachments I've purchased over the past 40 years, the ability to use 3 point attachments as well.

The hydraulic full time 4wd is amazing. Wheels don't tear up my new lawn like my 580, did and the tractor climbs up hills and over crap like a Billy goat on steroids.

The grapple? Well this is perfect for my needs. Attached to the 738 I can lift upwards of or more than 700lbs, I can grab boulders, logs, trees, brush. root out saplings, move the cast iron boiler half buried on the rear slope, move a washing machine that's been there for 50 years, move lumber piles, brush piles, hold logs while I cut them without ruining a chain, and more.

What you buy should always fit your needs and just a bit more. The 580 fit my needs, but it was a bit less than I needed.

So here's some video of the grapple, $700 shipped to your door. Watch it, then tell me if you still think it's a toy.

QUICK HITCH GRAPPLE BY INNOVATIVE TRACTOR ATTACHMENTS, LLC - YouTube

1 - 20 of 26 Posts