Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We have a new x738, doing the blower to mower swap for the first time. The youtube video and instruction manual are both a little confusing so hoping someone can explain this better to me. My mower deck is the 54 inch HC and came unattached to the tractor since we got it over the winter. I managed to get the blower off no problem.

Looking at the instructions for the mower, some of the pictures and videos show a shaft that comes out of the gear box of the mower deck. Mine does not have this. I was under the impression that this means I have the autoconnect system? I was under the impression that I didn't get this option unless it comes standard on the new machines. Is there a way to tell?

Thanks

·
Registered
879 Posts
Look at the shaft on the gearbox - does it have a 'bullet' like collar on it (circled in red)?

Also, look under the tractor, do you see a pto collar/receiver shown above? That's what engages with the part I circled, and the other end has a pto shaft connected to it but in the stowed position so you can run the mid-to-front pto driveshaft for the blower. If you have this stuff, you have autoconnect.

·
Premium Member
11,950 Posts
Look at the shaft on the gearbox - does it have a 'bullet' like collar on it (circled in red)?

View attachment 781652

Also, look under the tractor, do you see a pto collar/receiver shown above? That's what engages with the part I circled, and the other end has a pto shaft connected to it but in the stowed position so you can run the mid-to-front pto driveshaft for the blower. If you have this stuff, you have autoconnect.

Good answer with good illustrations. Two thumbs up.(y) (y)

I don't have a MMM on my 1 series and my other machines have the "Nut Buster" decks, which as you can tell by the name, are anything BUT auto connect. They are the non drive over decks which require you to wrestle them under the mower and manually connect them. They cut very nice, but you don't want to have to take them on and off very frequently.

I know some owners of the Auto Connect decks remove the auto connect system when they set up their machines for the winter use. Can you leave the driveshaft and mounts under the machine and still use the front Quik Tach unit with the front drive shaft to the front implement (broom or snow blower) ? It would seem the implement drive shaft for the deck would have nothing to support the rear of it when disconnected from the Mid PTO Shaft.........

I wonder how most with the auto connect store their MMM and the implement driveshaft in the winter, when using a front implement with the PTO drive on their machine. If you were plowing snow and not using a front PTO implement, I could see leaving the shaft under the tractor, but that would expose it to the potential of snow melt, etc which is corrosive. Not sure exactly what the process is for those using this system........I will learn something this PM....

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I'm with you on the I didn't think I had the auto connect deck option untill I went to take the deck off the first time.

If you bought the machine from a dealer and they already had it in stock it they might have just not listed it as an installed option. Nothing on my paperwork said I had auto connect on my tractor but it's definitely there.

As for winter use I removed the auto connect equipment from the tractor and stored all the bits with the mower deck.

With the front drive shaft in place for the snowblower it didn't look like there was enough room for that contraption on the draft arms to fit. I've been told it all fits up there, gonna give that a shot next winter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hmm. I have the auto connect on my x758 and I've never removed it to install the blower. There is a pin I believe that holds it up tight against the underside of the tractor. A latch holds on to the bracket on the auto connect and the latch is pinned to the side of the frame.
Ron

·
Registered
186 Posts
I acquired mine last fall, but early enough that it was used for a couple months of mowing.
It is ax x738 with and HC54 and autoconnect.

I can verify that the shaft portion stays with the mower when the deck is removed.

A quick look under your machine and the parts shown in diagram in post#2 above will be visible.

The deck gearbox on the deck will just have the input shaft and gearbox, similar to the photo.

·
Registered
879 Posts
You do NOT have to remove any AutoConnect hardware to mount the snowblower. IMO doing so kind of defeats the reason you got it and can lead to alignment problems since your dealer set it up/aligned/etc. as part of the installation. There is a hanger installed on the right side of the tractor that is used to store the AutoConnect pto shaft when you are using the front pto.

These guys do an excellent job showing the process:

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
The video is good, but,, it's not quite that easy! The shaft is stored on the tractor but you have to align the shaft to fit just right or you will pinch the shaft and watch the hydraulic filter, go slow and check it as you lift. Alert when you go the other direction to put the mower back on.. Make sure the hydraulic pressure is not there when you undo that retaining hook or you will find yourself getting whacked by the auto connect draft arm! They come down real fast! A sprained wrist will be in the making if you don't release the pressure. For some reason the hook that holds up the shaft on mine has to be hammered into place, fingers alone do not do the job, it's to tight. I have a new kit and I'm going to change that all out when I get it up on the lift very soon,, Winter is over I hope!
Good luck, once you do it you will find it fairly straight forward. Oh ya, the auto connect deck is not a piece of cake to get it the first time either, you may have to jockey the deck around a little to get to slide the pin on the input shaft. Grease that shaft too, it will help.
Happy motoring..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts