Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the dealer does anyone know of an alternate source? Last weekend I picked up a killer deal on a X738 package to replace a aging D170 and while doing the ROI jumper it would have been handy to have the service manual. Had them for all my vehicles and its generally a life/time saver when doing projects or repairs.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
You can go to this link for JD manuals, get the number of the manual(s), be shocked at their price, then Google the number to see if you can find a decent price. I'd steer clear of the ones that show a dirt cheap price or instant downloads type=usually scammers. Manuals through JD used to be decently priced. Now JD wants ~$160-170 for your X738.

Manuals and Training | Parts & Service | John Deere US

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can go to this link for JD manuals, get the number of the manual(s), be shocked at their price, then Google the number to see if you can find a decent price. I'd steer clear of the ones that show a dirt cheap price or instant downloads type=usually scammers. Manuals through JD used to be decently priced. Now JD wants ~$160-170 for your X738.

Manuals and Training | Parts & Service | John Deere US
Thanks, I had found the link and its essentially the same as the dealer pricing - highway robbery in my opinion. I have no problems paying SOMETHING for the documentation but always irks me that the prices are getting so high. We already paid a premium for the equipment you would at least think they could cut a break on the technical docs ( :laugh: )

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Thanks, I had found the link and its essentially the same as the dealer pricing - highway robbery in my opinion. I have no problems paying SOMETHING for the documentation but always irks me that the prices are getting so high. We already paid a premium for the equipment you would at least think they could cut a break on the technical docs ( :laugh: )
They used to be "reasonable" up to a couple, 3 months ago or so. Then they skyrocketed to a ridiculous price. Many more than doubled or tripled.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They used to be "reasonable" up to a couple, 3 months ago or so. Then they skyrocketed to a ridiculous price. Many more than doubled or tripled.
Any idea about the reasoning for the price jump? I would like to pick up a technician manual for my x758, but $160+ seems unreasonable.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
As soon as you have to take it to the dealer out of warranty and pay their shop rates to just screw up your machine and you will appreciate what JD is charging for these manuals so you can work on it yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Any idea about the reasoning for the price jump? I would like to pick up a technician manual for my x758, but $160+ seems unreasonable.
I never heard anything official and like many subjects, rumors abound. When I got the tech manual for my 1025, I paid about $65. Today it's about $147. Sure I'm thankful I was about to get it at the old price, but at $150 I think it's still a decent price, especially with the complexity of the machine. $150 is less than 2 labor hrs my dealer would charge.

On the other hand, I just got a 2014 X360 and the tech manual is $205. That's where I feel the price is unjustified. The X360 is a lot less complicated than the 1025. A lot of the stuff on the X360 I can figure out on my own or with the owners manual. There's just not a lot to the tractor, so I have to justify whether $200 is valuable to me. I figure the manual would be valuable for the engine or transaxle but that's about it for the most part. I'm still debating whether I should get one or not.

For your X758, I think you have to justify the cost yourself. Personally I think the machine is complex enough, like my 1025, that $160 is do-able.

Just my 2 pennies.

·
Administrator
17,260 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just purchased the technical manual for my older x585 from JD and was told they are printed on demand by their printer and bound. At least they are still available and I think worth every penny when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I just purchased the technical manual for my older x585 from JD and was told they are printed on demand by their printer and bound. At least they are still available and I think worth every penny when the time comes.
I have read that as well. Personally I like the digital version better. I always know where it is, it doesn't get covered in grease and if I want I can still print the pages of what I am working on to have the reference in hand. I have a compute in the shop though so I normally just use that.

·
Premium Member
10,923 Posts
I have read that as well. Personally I like the digital version better. I always know where it is, it doesn't get covered in grease and if I want I can still print the pages of what I am working on to have the reference in hand. I have a compute in the shop though so I normally just use that.
The #1 advantage of the PDF version is SEARCH! JD isn't known for having the most logical index or TOC in their manuals and being able to search for a particular word or phrase can save a lot of time.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
The #1 advantage of the PDF version is SEARCH! JD isn't known for having the most logical index or TOC in their manuals and being able to search for a particular word or phrase can save a lot of time.
I have also seen where people take the time to print out the entire manual, then put it in those page protectors in a 3 ring binder. If one was really motivated, the manual for the X585 covers 4 different models if I remember right. One could take out all the pages that don't apply. Takes some work but then you have the best of both worlds.

Yes, search does save a lot of time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts