Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, all - curious if those with a 738 or 758 have needed weights on the back to plow snow or if have been fine without

I've seen a few mentions either way in various threads, but wanted to see what everyone thinks

Matt

·
Registered
627 Posts
I plow with no weights on the X738.
Only one winter, but so far so good.

I do find that when it's pushing hard, feathering the 'lift' on the blade will improve front traction.
The idea is not to lift blade off the ground, but to just feather it up enough that the weight is mostly carried by the tractor.

Depending on the conditions, I can sometimes make the float function work -- but if I'm pushing snow far enough onto lawn to make room for future snowfall, then the tractor needs to be carrying the blade anyway so the blade doesn't tear into the grass (especially early snows, when the ground may not be frozen)

·
Registered
9 Posts
For the last 2 years I have not used chains or weights. One snowfall was 14" of moderately heavy snow no issues but thought that I could have been a little faster if I had some extra weight.

250' concrete driveway.
HDAP tires with 54" blade
Wish I would have bought the 60"

Thinking of adding 4 suitcase weights.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
No plow but my use with the snow blower has been without adding any weight.

Will probably ballast the rear this year if it ever gets cold enough to snow here on the east coast. All signs are pointing to a warm rainy winter here.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Matt G

I used to use my back blade with 4 42# weights. This year I'll be using all 16 of my weight because I'm using this for winter.
Plant Tire Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, all - curious if those with a 738 or 758 have needed weights on the back to plow snow or if have been fine without

I've seen a few mentions either way in various threads, but wanted to see what everyone thinks

Matt
I have a Heavy Hitch with 4-42# weights on the back of my X739 with 47" snowblower. No issues at all. The HDAP tires are a big plus too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, all. I’ll try plowing without first then and add only if necessary. Was trying to see if I needed to get weights and the weight bracket before the first snow flew or if there was a chance I would be ok without

appreciate it !

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a x 738 and ordered the 54“ plow and 4 weights for the rear. Didn’t want to make the investment and then not be able to do anything I wanted with the plow. By the way, the weights can easily be moved to the front for the next rear attachment.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
3 Posts

Matt

Matt
I have the x758 with the 60" blade, and I tip the scale at about 200lbs. Haven't needed to put any weights on the back. But if you want to go that route and have the click-n-go setup take a look at the heavy hitch weight bracket with built in receiver sleeve

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have the x758 and (4) 42 lb weights on the heavy hitch using the 54" blade and HDAP tires.
I really don't think I needed the weights.
Pushed a lot of snow too.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I started without weights, the HDAPs and 4wd do a really good job. I added 4 suitcase weights later only because the manual says you need the ballast for the snowblower. I don't notice any difference when plowing. The only issue I've had is when plowing heavy wet snow with the plow fully angled - you eventualy build up enough snow in front of the plow that it overcomes the front tire's traction and tends to deflect the front of the tractor. Weight on the back doesn't do anything for this. Like x738 said, feathering the plow up a bit solves that. I'd like to put some weights on the front if I can find a way to hang them off the QH.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did see something about that receiver hitch sleeve. That would be very convenient to have. Appreciate the mention

Going to use without and then look into this if needed after a few snow storms

Supposed to be 65 degrees here today. I just might get the machine before the first big snow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.