Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is my deal. I currently have a Great Dane 61 inch ZeroTurn mower. Its 2001 with 1000 hours on it. I LOVE the lines it leaves ( no stripe kit on it ) and the speed in which i can mow.

That being said i am possible looking into a X738 or X758 with 54 Inch deck or 60. I want the blower for winter ( easy and fast ). i want fuel injected for easy cold starting.

So this is my dilemma: will the x7 leave lines like my zero turn and cut grass as good? I know that it will not be as maneuverable ( I dont think ) but what is cut quality like? I would sell the zero turn and my current snow blower so the deere would replace both pieces of equipment. I have never used a john deere riding mower. Any input /advise would be great!

PS my wife says to stick with what I got- But I want something newer. I just dont want to give up the look and quality of mowing. I am sort anal when it comes to the grass. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
I just got a X739 with a 60" deck. It is the 4x4 all wheel steer model. I have mowed the yard twice with it.
The X739 is almost as maneuverable as a zero turn. The X738 & X758 will not be any where close to as maneuverable as a zero turn.
As for mowing, I could not be happier with how well the 60HC deck cuts the grass. The last time my yard looked as good after mowing as it does now was back when I had a 455 with a 60" 7 Iron deck.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I think it depends on your lawn's condition. When I lived in the city I had a 345 and 54" mower. Lawn was mostly weed-free and pretty smooth and flat. I thought the 345 mowed wonderfully. No uneven cuts, didn't leave anything standing. Moved to the country on 10 acres and traded the 345 for a x758. The lawn here is pretty bumpy and the grass is mostly crabgrass and dandelions. Thick stuff. Plus, I often can't get to mowing until the grass is 6" high. The x758 often leaves uneven edges and some grass or dandelions standing. But people say the x7-series is an awesome mower. So I have decided that everything is relative. If I'd be mowing my city lot with my x758 it would probably be WAY better than my 345 did. If I was mowing my new property with the 345 I'd probably think it did even worse than the x758. How well an x7 will do on your lawn is probably related to similar factors. If it is smooth, nice grass it will probably be everything you hoped for.

Rob

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I think it depends on your lawn's condition. When I lived in the city I had a 345 and 54" mower. Lawn was mostly weed-free and pretty smooth and flat. I thought the 345 mowed wonderfully. No uneven cuts, didn't leave anything standing. Moved to the country on 10 acres and traded the 345 for a x758. The lawn here is pretty bumpy and the grass is mostly crabgrass and dandelions. Thick stuff. Plus, I often can't get to mowing until the grass is 6" high. The x758 often leaves uneven edges and some grass or dandelions standing. But people say the x7-series is an awesome mower. So I have decided that everything is relative. If I'd be mowing my city lot with my x758 it would probably be WAY better than my 345 did. If I was mowing my new property with the 345 I'd probably think it did even worse than the x758. How well an x7 will do on your lawn is probably related to similar factors. If it is smooth, nice grass it will probably be everything you hoped for.

Rob
Ditto,lawn condition is a big factor with any mower.I would try the two AWS and the regular to see how they handle.
Where in WNY are you.

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts
For the past year have mowed with a 54" deck on a x738, before that I mowed with a x585 and 54" deck. Yard looks great no complaints

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*** UPDATE****
So I went to local dealer today- they had a x500 series with 54 innch deck brand new that he let me demo cutting with. I have to say I was not that impressed. the cut was ok- It was a total different experience from my zero turn great Dane stander. He didnt have a X738 with a deck on it to mow with. He did have a x738 with no deck. So i Drove it after I mowed with the x500 series. What a difference between the two machines!! X738 to me felt more nimble to turn and I really felt the power steering. Bigger machine for sure but felt more nimble. The x500 series with the 54 inch deck I mowed with was belt driven- X738 is shaft. So I still have not been able to demo a X7 to mow with. Would there be a big difference if i mowed with the X738?? I am still soo on the fence with this purchase-
I don't want to drop all this money and not be happy with the end mowing results. I guess i really need to mow with the X738 to get a better Idea. If I don't make a decision today i lose the 500$ off incentive.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hiya,

Questions:

1) How many acres are you mowing?
2) How much is your average snowfall per storm and is it dry fluffy or heavy wet snow?

If your area is small, and you get mainly dry fluffy snow the gas powered may be a better choice, if your mowing a large area or you get heavy wet snow, get the Diesel, the difference in torque is significant. Also, with proper care on both, the Diesel will outlast the gasoline engine.

Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
*** UPDATE****
So I went to local dealer today- they had a x500 series with 54 innch deck brand new that he let me demo cutting with. I have to say I was not that impressed. the cut was ok- It was a total different experience from my zero turn great Dane stander. He didnt have a X738 with a deck on it to mow with. He did have a x738 with no deck. So i Drove it after I mowed with the x500 series. What a difference between the two machines!! X738 to me felt more nimble to turn and I really felt the power steering. Bigger machine for sure but felt more nimble. The x500 series with the 54 inch deck I mowed with was belt driven- X738 is shaft. So I still have not been able to demo a X7 to mow with. Would there be a big difference if i mowed with the X738?? I am still soo on the fence with this purchase-
I don't want to drop all this money and not be happy with the end mowing results. I guess i really need to mow with the X738 to get a better Idea. If I don't make a decision today i lose the 500$ off incentive.
Ha, come over and mow my back yard...

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Ha, come over and mow my back yard...
Damn I wish I had an offer like that to test out someones gas and diesel units LOL

I found a local dealer that had both the X738 and X758 in stock however a deck was not mounted on either. Like you I wanted to see, hear and feel them. I started the X758 and took it for a spin around the dealers gross field and found that it accelerated well, turned much better than I expected, and rode better than I thought it would. I had the salesman take it for a spin as well so I could hear it as a bystanders much like my fiancé or neighbor would be. I then had him pull around the X738 and I could hear it coming more so than the diesel one. I had him take it for a spin rather than myself and while it did sound nice and idle well, I was less impressed with the volume emitter. Granted the sound will change once that 3 blade deck is spinning but from this point the diesel was a deeper tone so it didn't sound as loud.

The dealer that had both in stock was off by $2k and then $1k after negotiating. Unfortunately that wasn't enough to make me stay. I headed to my local local guy that was more flexible. The downside is the X758 is by order and not stocked. :(

Waiting game begins.....X758 with triple power flow 14bu bagger and the 17p cart.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Damn I wish I had an offer like that to test out someones gas and diesel units LOL

I found a local dealer that had both the X738 and X758 in stock however a deck was not mounted on either. Like you I wanted to see, hear and feel them. I started the X758 and took it for a spin around the dealers gross field and found that it accelerated well, turned much better than I expected, and rode better than I thought it would. I had the salesman take it for a spin as well so I could hear it as a bystanders much like my fiancé or neighbor would be. I then had him pull around the X738 and I could hear it coming more so than the diesel one. I had him take it for a spin rather than myself and while it did sound nice and idle well, I was less impressed with the volume emitter. Granted the sound will change once that 3 blade deck is spinning but from this point the diesel was a deeper tone so it didn't sound as loud.

The dealer that had both in stock was off by $2k and then $1k after negotiating. Unfortunately that wasn't enough to make me stay. I headed to my local local guy that was more flexible. The downside is the X758 is by order and not stocked. :(

Waiting game begins.....X758 with triple power flow 14bu bagger and the 17p cart.
What dealer? Where in CT are you?

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
What dealer? Where in CT are you?
CT Power & Sport is in my backyard since I have always lived in Wallingford. They stock X738's. I already received pricing from Farmington Valley when I was looking at X590's. I gave them a chance to quote me for the X738 and the X758 since they do stock both and the sales guy knew his stuff and was courteous. Unfortunately their price on the X590 as well as the X7 series was significantly more. I'm all for supporting good local dealers but I couldn't swallow $1-2k since I'm not made of money.

I live in Meriden, work in New Britain.

·
Registered
45 Posts
CT Power & Sport is in my backyard since I have always lived in Wallingford. They stock X738's. I already received pricing from Farmington Valley when I was looking at X590's. I gave them a chance to quote me for the X738 and the X758 since they do stock both and the sales guy knew his stuff and was courteous. Unfortunately their price on the X590 as well as the X7 series was significantly more. I'm all for supporting good local dealers but I couldn't swallow $1-2k since I'm not made of money.

Did you try Stanton Equipment?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here are some pics for ya. X738 with 54" deep deck and mulch kit... it took me 45 minutes with a few stops to pick up dog bombs and maneuver the trees and stumps... on a side not, I like my gasser but diesel power is nice. That being said, the 1025r that I used to have would smoke out my garage when starting cold. That might not be a concern for you though. The mulch kit is the bees knees.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts

That's where I grew up!

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Did you try Stanton Equipment?
I called almost a dozen dealers to ask who had the x738 and x 758 so I could see them side by side. I had each dealer and their inventory in a spread sheet but unfortunately my work laptop crashed before I clicked save. I do believe I called them however only one dealer (farmington valley) had both in stock.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Here are some pics for ya. X738 with 54" deep deck and mulch kit... it took me 45 minutes with a few stops to pick up dog bombs and maneuver the trees and stumps... on a side not, I like my gasser but diesel power is nice. That being said, the 1025r that I used to have would smoke out my garage when starting cold. That might not be a concern for you though. The mulch kit is the bees knees.
Looks great I can't wait. You opted for the mulch kit over the bagger? I went with the bagger since i could finance it. If I got fed up with bagging I could buy the mulch kit for significantly less and do it out of pocket. How long have you had your tractor? Growing up I'd hit the landmines, with this thing I definitely will pick them up before hand:laugh:

When the diesel started it did smoke for 3-5 seconds but it wasn't too bad. I'll park in my garage facing out so it doesn't billow inside and become trapped.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks great I can't wait. You opted for the mulch kit over the bagger? I went with the bagger since i could finance it. If I got fed up with bagging I could buy the mulch kit for significantly less and do it out of pocket. How long have you had your tractor? Growing up I'd hit the landmines, with this thing I definitely will pick them up before hand

When the diesel started it did smoke for 3-5 seconds but it wasn't too bad. I'll park in my garage facing out so it doesn't billow inside and become trapped.
I opted for the mulch kit for space saving in my garage and I didn't want to mess with the clippings. ? I've had it since mid winter and put about 15 hours on it. (67 total cause I bought it used with 53 hours on it) It's a great machine and does great in the snow. I use the plow blade on it. I'm really happy with the cut now. It took a little tweaking to get it just right.

·
Corndog Hater
11,479 Posts
That looks real nice. About how tall are you cutting the grass?:dunno:

·
Registered
49 Posts
That looks real nice. About how tall are you cutting the grass?
The grass was 4-5 inches high ( taller than I like to let it get) and I set my deck height at 2.25" or whatever is one click below 2.5 or "deck leveling".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts