Green Tractor Talk banner

X739 and Traction Loss

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gittyup 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I seem to be having some traction issues with my new X739. I have two areas in my yard were the front left tire has been slipping. Ive tried max and the minimum air pressures in my HDAP tires and the lesser of the pressures seems to slip more. I figured less would = a bigger footprint and increase traction? Diff lock doesn't help either.

Seems to happen mostly on left turns ascending my hills (about 15deg). Could an issue with the control arm spinning the inside wheel too fast?

I have no weights of grass catcher only the 54" HC deck on. The lawn isn't dry and does have moisture but not wet by any means.

#2 ·
Maybe try it on flat ground. That should rule out the 4wd link adjustments. If it is out of adjustment, then it should dig on flat ground too. If it works in the flat, it’s probably just how the cg/terrain are affecting things.

Reactions: PJR832
#3 ·
This happened to me once with my X739 shortly after I got it. I was going up a hill & made a quick, sharp turn. The inside wheel spun. I have not noticed it doing it since that time.
There is a proportioning valve on the hydraulic drive for the front wheels. The valve changes oil flow to reduce the speed of the inside front wheel when making a turn.
Maybe the valve is not functioning properly.
The only other thing I can think of to try, is slowing your speed when making turns.

Reactions: PJR832
#4 · (Edited)
Yep the control arm tells the differential how much flow is needed to maintain the correct difference from the outside wheel (I think I explained that correctly?). Maybe something there or not.

I've been taking the hills very slow. So that isn't working out any better either.

See average 1.5mph I'm not being a speed racer haha
Map Biome Forest Terrestrial plant Tree

#5 ·
There are definitely situations where you get some wheel slippage and tight turns on hills are prime examples. Just the nature of AWD, I think.

And diff lock will do nothing helpful in those situations. It only applies to your rear axle and locking the rear tires together will only make turning harder so I'd expect to see more slippage from the front.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.