Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an X739 in need of fuel filter change. Normally I like to do most of my own maintenance on my equipment but I am far from being considered a mechanical whiz (more like mechanical newbie) so I watch lots of YouTube how-to videos. There is one video that shows the owner changing his fuel filter on a 700 series and of course he makes it look ez--but he says at the end of the video it is a 9.5 in complexity. Any tips or tricks on changing this fuel filter from other owners?
I have learned lots from you guys on this forum so many thanks for the hours of aggravation you've saved me in running and maintaining my equipment.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I haven't changed mine yet but it's due to be changed soon.

The manual makes it look pretty strait forward. Open the bleed screw to relieve pressure on the fuel line, then disconnect old filter and install new, make sure the arrow on the new filter points towards the engine. Make sure the bleed screw is closed and off you go.

I'm sure the fuel line couplers are stiff and not fun to get off, and you are bound to get fuel splashed around because getting a catch pan in there will be tricky, maybe just some rags bunched in there. Replacing the O-rings on the fittings might also be a pain if needed. None of that adds up to it being all the hard to do unless there's something I'm not seeing.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
If it is anything like that on the X585 you do the bleed screw, then the fuel lines have clips that attach to the filter. If I recall there are little white or opaque colored clips that you squeeze together and pull the line and it will come off. Honestly, I never do the bleed screw but I think it is in the book. I probably did the first time and then forgot about that step the second time and never bothered with it since then. You are going to spill some fuel anyhow from what is in the filter. I just make sure it is cold and hasn't run in a while and change it. There is also a 10 or 12mm nut or bolt that supports the filter.

Overall the process isn't hard provided it is the same on the older generation. The engine is the same so I doubt they changed it much.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you plan to keep the X739 and service it yourself, just buy the tool to release the fuel line fittings from the filter. It makes the filter change a 5 minute procedure. You can release the plastic retainers that hold the filter to the bracket with a set of long-tip bent needle-nose pliers; reach behind the bracket and squeeze the little tabs with the pliers while prying gently out from the other side of the bracket with a flat screwdriver under the head of the retainer. They will release with no damage to them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts