·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would someone humor me, please.
I'd like to know what the "Kit" consists of. :dunno:

John Deere Mounting Hardware Kit for 1 or 2 50-lb. Cast Iron Wheel Weights

Part Number: 2-BM17977

The only reason I ask this, comes from already having several pairs of cast weights.
Honestly, I doubt I would bolt the weights to my wheels.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
Would someone humor me, please.
I'd like to know what the "Kit" consists of. :dunno:

John Deere Mounting Hardware Kit for 1 or 2 50-lb. Cast Iron Wheel Weights

Part Number: 2-BM17977

The only reason I ask this, comes from already having several pairs of cast weights.
Honestly, I doubt I would bolt the weights to my wheels.
I found this.....hope it helps (As I suspected, about $5.00 retail in hardware parts....)

Rear Weight Hardware Kit, BM17977. - newandusedtractorparts.com

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
I was suspecting All-Thread. Nut, washers. There has to be more to it than that. Given the wheel type, some kind of backer behind the wheel, so the whole affair stays on the wheel?
I am sure we have members on here who have put the wheel weights of various types on their tractors who will know the answer. I have never used wheel weights so my experience with them is lacking...Lots of experience with suitcase weights and brackets, just never wheel weights.

I just googled the John Deere part number and there were a lot of responses, including the one I posted. I Just inserted the part number and nothing else..

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks SB. I plan to use the Suitcase Weights, I was just curious what was all involved, mounting them on the style of wheels on mine. Solid wheels, piece of cake in that respect. Just a couple holes in each wheel..if not already stamped in. Searching Google come up with images of the weights installed, but it's like looking at a frosted cake. What flavor is it!!?? :unknown:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use 1/2” carriage bolts. They work great!

‘17 1025r w/FEL
(2) 80 JD carts
18 JD cart
Land Pride 4’ land plane
Land Pride 1258 tiller
Land Pride FDR 1660
Frontier ss1023 broadcast spreader
Victory EF155 flail mower

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use 1/2” carriage bolts. They work great!
Just a guess, is that you didn't read the topic. If you have stock wheels (and I assume you do), they are nothing like the x739/x758 rear (or front) wheels. :bigbeer:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Thanks SB. I plan to use the Suitcase Weights, I was just curious what was all involved, mounting them on the style of wheels on mine. Solid wheels, piece of cake in that respect. Just a couple holes in each wheel..if not already stamped in. Searching Google come up with images of the weights installed, but it's like looking at a frosted cake. What flavor is it!!?? :unknown:
I may have missed something in the thread but the above statement has me confused. Are you trying to put suitcase weights on your wheels?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may have missed something in the thread but the above statement has me confused. Are you trying to put suitcase weights on your wheels?
By golly, the topic is still short. It does pay to read for best understanding (*winky*)
No Sir, I was stating that I planned to "use" suitcase weights. Instead of fussing with bolting on the wheel weights I have on hand. . But the topic was referencing "how" to mount wheel weights on the style wheels I have on my model.:good2:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
By golly, the topic is still short. It does pay to read for best understanding (*winky*)
No Sir, I was stating that I planned to "use" suitcase weights. Instead of fussing with bolting on the wheel weights I have on hand. . But the topic was referencing "how" to mount wheel weights on the style wheels I have on my model.:good2:
Ok, I had that coming.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just a guess, is that you didn't read the topic. If you have stock wheels (and I assume you do), they are nothing like the x739/x758 rear (or front) wheels. :bigbeer:
I did not realize that the X739 is all wheel steer and that the all wheel steer wheels are different. As you see in my signature I have a 1025r and the carriage bolts fit my wheels. Thanks.

‘17 1025r w/FEL
(2) 80 JD carts
18 JD cart
Land Pride 4’ land plane
Land Pride 1258 tiller
Land Pride FDR 1660
Frontier ss1023 broadcast spreader
Victory EF155 flail mower

·
Registered
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought at on time there was a spical kit for the AWS models for mounting wheel weights with the newer style rims. They may have changed that with the 2013 and up models.
I put a rubber gasket on mine so it doesn't scratch the rims.
https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/lawn-garden-tractors/43017-gasket-wheel-weight.html
That was my plan if I decided to mount them on my wheels.
For the backside of the wheels, there would need to be a a steel ring, cut from fairly (1/4"?) thick plate and another gasket there as well.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
That was my plan if I decided to mount them on my wheels.
For the backside of the wheels, there would need to be a a steel ring, cut from fairly (1/4"?) thick plate and another gasket there as well.
JD has you covered. Weight adapter BM21497

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I was thinking they'd be like.
Now for the question. These rings will fit 2WD & 4WD fine. Will they fit 4WS without interference?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts