Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Long time listener, first time caller.
I have recently ordered an X739 configured with a 14 Bu rear bagger and a front Quick Hitch for the 54" blade. Should be ready the week of March 16, but I have a concern that the dealer couldn't answer. Is there a way to add ballast to the front with the QH attached? I'm concerned about stability over my steep challenging terrain with 14 Bu of clippings hanging off the back, but I can't find any information regarding the use of suitcase weights on an X7xx with front QH. Anyone have any experience with that set-up?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have recently ordered an X739 configured with a 14 Bu rear bagger and a front Quick Hitch for the 54" blade. Should be ready the week of March 16, but I have a concern that the dealer couldn't answer. Is there a way to add ballast to the front with the QH attached? I'm concerned about stability over my steep challenging terrain with 14 Bu of clippings hanging off the back, but I can't find any information regarding the use of suitcase weights on an X7xx with front QH. Anyone have any experience with that set-up?

Thanks for your time!
I have an X739 with the front quick hitch also, you would have to remove it to add the suitcase weights but its easy to do, takes maybe 2 minutes.

I mow some steep stuff as well and have never felt the need for any front ballast, the X739 is an amazingly stable machine.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The hitch sticks out a ways so you would probably want to remove it for increased maneuverability, but if you don't it probably equals the weight of a couple bags of grass so is ballast itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hitch removed with front weights.
Fantastic information Eric, thank you! Way above and beyond with the pictures, but they do indeed say 1000 words. You mentioned not feeling the need for ballast when mowing. Do you use a rear bagger?

Also, after seeing the monster size of the QH, and considering that here in Central Virginia the blade will probably be used 4 times a year (a little snow removal and a little mulch pile leveling) I'm second guessing that add on. Any opinions on the usefulness of the QH and/or 54" blade?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I got the blade mainly for dirt and gravel work and the occasional snowfall we get here once or twice a year. It works great for back blading dirt and gravel in either the float or down pressure positions. I could have lived without it but its nice to have a few toy's now that I'm retired.

I have the 7 bushel powerflow rear bagger and even with both bags filled with wet grass going up a steep slope with no front ballast have I ever felt the front end was light.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hitch removed with front weights.
I got the blade mainly for dirt and gravel work and the occasional snowfall we get here once or twice a year. It works great for back blading dirt and gravel in either the float or down pressure positions. I could have lived without it but its nice to have a few toy's now that I'm retired.

I have the 7 bushel powerflow rear bagger and even with both bags filled with wet grass going up a steep slope with no front ballast have I ever felt the front end was light.
Thanks Eric, that's exactly what I needed to know! I'm gonna leave the order as is and get the blade. Afterall, if I'm dropping this kind of cheddar in a tractor I'd like to be able to do more than just cut grass.

Thanks for the help!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
11,043 Posts
Jason :wgtt: and :congrats: on the tractor.

·
Registered
342 Posts
There is no reason to leave the hitch on if not using the blade. And you can't put weights on the front with the hitch. But, the blade and hitch combo add considerable front weight where you wouldn't need more. I have a 3pt hitch mounted gas powered lawn vacuum that I put on my X739. I use 4 weights on front when using the vacuum. Else, when full it gets light to steer. Also, you can't have the hitch and the deck on at the same time anyway. I have had my blade for 20+ years now. I use it for snow removal, and for that purpose, it's great. As for using for grading, it's useless. Probably OK to push around some loose material, but nothing requiring digging. I have also used it to gather downed tree limbs and brush. Works good for that. In Central VA, you'll still get some snow removal use from it. I do strongly recommend getting at least 6 suitcase weights. They'll never be cheaper than now and you'll be glad you have them. I run 8 weights for snow removal and 4 for vacuuming and when using my 40 gallon 3pt sprayer. You'll find it's best to leave the mower on from April until just after thanksgiving. Once the leaves are gone, you take the mower off and put on the blade. Switching back and forth a lot is a PITA, even though it's about as easy as JD could have made it to change. Still too much hassle for me. I switch as described, once in the fall and once again in the spring. When mower goes on, it stays on unless there is some special project to do.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Hello Jasonrprice and congrats on the new X! Mr brother has one and it is awesome!

If you got the Click-N-Go mount with the 14 Bushel Hopper, take a look at the storage cart for when its not mounted on the tractor. This product is coming out this spring, but I am running a great deal on 4 prototype models we used to come up with the final version. They are all newly powder coated, but just differ a bit from the carts that will be offered. However, at only $150.00, it is better than 50% off.

Let me know if your interested! I have 3 left.

Thanks!!

Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
The mower and the front hitch can be on at the same time but you would probably want to disconnect the yellow/silver hydraulic lines so the angling cylinder isn't in use when you raise or lower the mower deck.

As the previous poster noted the blade isn't for digging but it works great for leveling loose material, I just spread out a pile of topsoil today with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The mower and the front hitch can be on at the same time but you would probably want to disconnect the yellow/silver hydraulic lines so the angling cylinder isn't in use when you raise or lower the mower deck.

As the previous poster noted the blade isn't for digging but it works great for leveling loose material, I just spread out a pile of topsoil today with it.
I hadn't thought about the front QH competing for hydraulics with the deck. I guess I figured it was called a quick hitch because it was quick to connect (i.e. a couple spring locks, not a seasonal get the wrenches project). So I'll look into getting some suitcase weights and a front weight bracket. Any thoughts on the cheapest place to buy?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hadn't thought about the front QH competing for hydraulics with the deck. I guess I figured it was called a quick hitch because it was quick to connect (i.e. a couple spring locks, not a seasonal get the wrenches project). So I'll look into getting some suitcase weights and a front weight bracket. Any thoughts on the cheapest place to buy?
Randy, I love the concept. I dropped by the website but it wasn't clear how to place an order for one of the remaining prototypes. Can you point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Get your weights at home depot.com, cheaper than the dealer and free delivery.

The tractor can take 4 weights up front without an additional bracket but the 9 weight bracket can be added if you need more, it makes a great bumper also. I got mine at greenfarmparts.com.

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts

Thanks for your time!
Welcome aboard and enjoy your new rig!

:greentractorride:

·
Registered
342 Posts
That's why you need the diverter valve too. It will keep the deck hanger from moving while using the hydraulics for the blade, and the blade will operate more responsively. On my tractor at least, you have to remove the front hanger bar that holds the mower deck to install the quick hitch. I am using the old style hitch (from 4x5 series). Maybe that makes a difference. You don't want to leave your deck hanging with no front support.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Randy, I love the concept. I dropped by the website but it wasn't clear how to place an order for one of the remaining prototypes. Can you point me in the right direction?
Jason,

Those will not be on the website since they are prototypes. You can just call me or private message me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Randy Lang tried to respond to your pm response but it won't send because your box is full.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts