Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am needing to replace my 2004 GX255, and I am considering whether to purchase a used X739 or X754. If I could find a good X749, that would be my choice, as it has the diesel engine, AWS, and AWD. However, I have found a X739 (with a warranty), and a X754. Some of my mowing areas have slopes and hills, so I am concerned about sme of the inclines, and even with my 3520, I know that the 4wd really helps on some on some of the slopes. I am looking for some advice, from more experienced Garden Tractor owners. IThe GX255 is a 2ws, 2wd and it is okay, but on the sloped areas, it is really not okay, especially going down the slopes with any obstacles like a deck, like a fence that is resident at the bottom of the slope areas. So that may hurt the x754, as it is AWS and diesel, but it is 2wd, 2ws. On the other side, the X739 has everything but it is not diesel. However, I have not had the experience of using and working the newer gas models So let me know your opinions, please? Thanks!

Regards

Nuru

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I am a new X739 owner and all I can say is Wow!. I love it!! It is pretty thirsty compared to my Craftsman but that is the only negative I have encountered so far. I can mow around a 4" sewer clean out that is proud of the ground in one pass without tearing up the ground ;-) I have a 3032e but am not a fan of diesel (just personal preference, smell, mess, etc.)

Jack

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a new X739 owner and all I can say is Wow!. I love it!! It is pretty thirsty compared to my Craftsman but that is the only negative I have encountered so far. I can mow around a 4" sewer clean out that is proud of the ground in one pass without tearing up the ground ;-) I have a 3032e but am not a fan of diesel (just personal preference, smell, mess, etc.)

Jack
Thanks Claimdue, I have a question how large is your mowing area?

Nuru

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Jack
Thanks "Jack"

·
Registered
70 Posts
... 2wd and it is okay, but on the sloped areas, it is really not okay, especially going down the slopes with any obstacles like a deck, like a fence that is resident at the bottom of the slope areas...
You've hit on one advantage of AWD that isn't mentioned too often and that is going downhill. My old 318 was a fine machine but I have a couple places where I could slide the rear tires mowing downhill which is a least un-nerving and probably unsafe. I now use a X729 and since the front wheels no longer freewheel but are driven it is much more stable on the downhill.

If you need the AWS, I would vote X739 but if you have hills, the AWD system is really nice.. maybe look at X758?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks IdAcre, yep,Ii am also looking at the x758 and even the 1025R ($$$$) too, just trying to find one locally instead of having a used one shipped in from out of state ($$$$).

Nuru

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I
Thanks IdAcre, yep,Ii am also looking at the x758 and even the 1025R ($$$$) too, just trying to find one locally instead of having a used one shipped in from out of state ($$$$).

Nuru
Nuru if you saw my x738 creep up and down the hill I have to cut you would never believe it. It's a challenge even to cut with a push mower let alone use a thousand pound tractor. The x738 walks up it like a mountain goat and creeps downward (and stops on the slope) with the same agility. And it has more adhesion on that sidehill than I have guts to run it at.

Deere's full time HFDW on the x738/739/758 is nothing short of amazing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I spent 35 years mowing significant hills with old Cub Cadets and a John Deere 322. They did a fine job, the key was proper tire selection and weight. All of the machines had ag tread tires and wheel weights. My uncle talked my dad into the ag tires and weights with his first Cub Cadet in 1970, and after that every machine that came home had to have them. Really with a proper tire selection (HDAP, Versa Turfs, ag tread) and wheel weights or suitcase weights a 2WD machine should be fine in most mowing situations. Obviously the AWD machines are fantastic on hills. I just got an X758, now that I have a mostly flat yard, go figure. So if you really like the X754, I wouldn't shy away from it, just set it up correctly to work on the hills.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spent 35 years mowing significant hills with old Cub Cadets and a John Deere 322. They did a fine job, the key was proper tire selection and weight. All of the machines had ag tread tires and wheel weights. My uncle talked my dad into the ag tires and weights with his first Cub Cadet in 1970, and after that every machine that came home had to have them. Really with a proper tire selection (HDAP, Versa Turfs, ag tread) and wheel weights or suitcase weights a 2WD machine should be fine in most mowing situations. Obviously the AWD machines are fantastic on hills. I just got an X758, now that I have a mostly flat yard, go figure. So if you really like the X754, I wouldn't shy away from it, just set it up correctly to work on the hills.
Thanks baalbrec2001, very good points.

Nuru

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you plan on doing work other than mowing with the machine having the AWD makes life a lot easier.

The drive over deck is easier to get on and off, you generally need little or no ballast to maintain traction, when doing ground work there the AWD really helps. If you plan on taking the deck off regularly weigh the AWD heavily in your choice. I take my deck off a couple times a month during mowing season to do other work. It really is a great feature of the x7 series that often gets overlooked.

If you Have a really tight technical yard then the 4 wheel steering can be really great.

I would take the AWD on the x7 over the steering any day of the week. Its a shame you can't get both on a diesel. If your options are limited to the 739 or 754 , it would be the 739 for me.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
11,466 Posts
With hills that give you pucker power I'd go with AWD/4WD. Had the AWS once, never again.

Reactions: Rule292

·
Registered
526 Posts
With hills that give you pucker power I'd go with AWD/4WD. Had the AWS once, never again.
I'm the opposite, never 2 wheel steer again:) I have some tight steep side hill obstacles to mow around and prefer one smooth pass around them rather than the backup go forward, backup go forward routine of my old 2 wheel steer. Granted I only have a few of them on the steep side hills and could certainantly live without it but the X739 is an incredibly stable machine unlike some of the other AWS models that have a skinnier track. If I remember right the X739 is a bit wider than the X738.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I went from a 2WS LX176 to an X324 4WS and was sold on the maneuverability the first time I used it. When I stepped up to a bigger machine I wanted diesel and 4WS for sure and 4WD would've been nice but I ran into the same roadblock as you. The choice to go 4WS was easy. I have only needed the 4WD a couple times in seven years and was able to make do just fine without it even in those situations.

The 4WS is fantastic and cuts my mowing time by a whole bunch, but it has one drawback too. With a bagger on the back the rear end swing is exaggerated and it is easy to forget about it. The lid on my bagger has taken quite a bit of abuse from fences and buildings over the years. I recently changed from the bags to a rigid aluminum hopper that fits on the same frame. The dump from seat feature is very slick but now I have to get used to watching for low obstacles that would knock the bags out of the way previously. There is no forgiveness in the rigid hopper.

I would still choose the X754 today but would be fine with the X758 since the seat is so comfortable and the new hopper is so much quicker to dump that the extra mowing time wouldn't matter as much. No way would I go back to gas for the lawn tractor.

I hope JD doesn't decide to go back to both options on the diesel lawn tractors, even with an added ROPS, because I would probably have to get one.

Good luck, and rest assured you will be happy with your choice regardless of the configuration compromises.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Dimensions (X730, X734)
Overall Height . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.34 m (52.9 in)
Overall Width. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.19 m (47 in)
Overall Length . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2.01 m (79.2 in)
Wheel base . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.38 m (54.5 in)

Dimensions (X738)
Overall Height . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.34 m (52.9 in)
Overall Width. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.22 m (48.0 in)
Overall Length . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2.01 m (79.2 in)
Wheel base . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.41 m (55.7 in)

Dimensions (X739)
Overall Height . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.34 m (52.9 in)
Overall Width. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.24 m (49.0 in)
Overall Length . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2.01 m (79.2 in)
Wheel base . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.41 m (55.7 in)

Dimensions (X758)
Overall Height . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.35 m (53.1 in.)
Overall Width. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.22 m (48 in.)
Overall Length . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2.01 m (79.2 in.)
Wheel Base. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.41 m (55.7 in.)

Weight
X730 2WS. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 389 kg (857 lb)
X734 4WS. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 414 kg (912 lb)
X738 Full-Time 4WD (HFWD). . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .430 kg (947 lb)
X739 Full-Time 4WD (HFWD) 4WS. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . 469 kg (1034 lb)

X750 (2WS) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .427 kg (942 lb)
X754 (4WS and 2WD) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .449 kg (989 lb)
X758 (4WD) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 468 kg (1032 lb)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I

Nuru if you saw my x738 creep up and down the hill I have to cut you would never believe it. It's a challenge even to cut with a push mower let alone use a thousand pound tractor. The x738 walks up it like a mountain goat and creeps downward (and stops on the slope) with the same agility. And it has more adhesion on that sidehill than I have guts to run it at.

Deere's full time HFDW on the x738/739/758 is nothing short of amazing.
Thanks Rule292, this input definitely helps with my decision!

Reactions: Rule292

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm the opposite, never 2 wheel steer again:) I have some tight steep side hill obstacles to mow around and prefer one smooth pass around them rather than the backup go forward, backup go forward routine of my old 2 wheel steer. Granted I only have a few of them on the steep side hills and could certainantly live without it but the X739 is an incredibly stable machine unlike some of the other AWS models that have a skinnier track. If I remember right the X739 is a bit wider than the X738.
Thanks eric102, since we both have 3x20 compact tractors, your perspective is really key - I almost bought a 3320, but went for the 3520 as I got a good deal on it.same year too 2008.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you plan on doing work other than mowing with the machine having the AWD makes life a lot easier.

The drive over deck is easier to get on and off, you generally need little or no ballast to maintain traction, when doing ground work there the AWD really helps. If you plan on taking the deck off regularly weigh the AWD heavily in your choice. I take my deck off a couple times a month during mowing season to do other work. It really is a great feature of the x7 series that often gets overlooked.

If you Have a really tight technical yard then the 4 wheel steering can be really great.

I would take the AWD on the x7 over the steering any day of the week. Its a shame you can't get both on a diesel. If your options are limited to the 739 or 754 , it would be the 739 for me.
Yeah, after reviewing a few posts and my experience with the 3520, I did drop the X754. So it si now a decision between the X739 and the X758. And obviously price of each.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went from a 2WS LX176 to an X324 4WS and was sold on the maneuverability the first time I used it. When I stepped up to a bigger machine I wanted diesel and 4WS for sure and 4WD would've been nice but I ran into the same roadblock as you. The choice to go 4WS was easy. I have only needed the 4WD a couple times in seven years and was able to make do just fine without it even in those situations.

The 4WS is fantastic and cuts my mowing time by a whole bunch, but it has one drawback too. With a bagger on the back the rear end swing is exaggerated and it is easy to forget about it. The lid on my bagger has taken quite a bit of abuse from fences and buildings over the years. I recently changed from the bags to a rigid aluminum hopper that fits on the same frame. The dump from seat feature is very slick but now I have to get used to watching for low obstacles that would knock the bags out of the way previously. There is no forgiveness in the rigid hopper.

I would still choose the X754 today but would be fine with the X758 since the seat is so comfortable and the new hopper is so much quicker to dump that the extra mowing time wouldn't matter as much. No way would I go back to gas for the lawn tractor.

I hope JD doesn't decide to go back to both options on the diesel lawn tractors, even with an added ROPS, because I would probably have to get one.

Good luck, and rest assured you will be happy with your choice regardless of the configuration compromises.
Thanks Mike, I am definitely leaning towards a diesel, but if the price they want locally is too much and I can negotiate a comfortable price for the x739, I may just do that one as it has bot AWS and AWD. Thanks for the information on the bagger, as that is also a feature I may add in the future. I had a bagger on my former GT225, that was fun even with its manual dumping.

Reactions: TyBoo
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.