Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 X738 60"
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on whether or not I need to tighten the throttle cable on my X738? See pictures.
the actual throttle doesn’t move until I am at least half way with the lever on the dash. The throttle lever pictures shows the location where the throttle starts to move.
The other pictures show the throttle position when I have the lever all the way up on the dash control. Sorry for terminology. Anyway, you can see it’s not touching the stop. I am wondering if I am not running the tractor at 3600 RPM because of this.

Also, side note, my seat back has a lot of cushion at the bottom of the backrest but not in the middle. Oh well.

Also, also, I am not a fan of the rust on this machine but that’s what I bought. I wanted to try out the X7 series and make sure it fit my needs so I bought used…

THANKS!

Green Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive mirror Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Wood Tints and shades Gas Hardwood Metal

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Pretty normal for the first half of the throttle lever to not increase rpm at all. Unless you aren't getting till rpm at WOT there is no need to adjust the cable.

If need be there is a adjuster at the end of the cable.

·
Registered
2015 X738 60"
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gave it full throttle with the lever then pushed the throttle under the hood the rest of the way. I’d say it increased a couple hundred RPM’s. I’ve always thought full lever throttle sounded a touch low, not that I could tell the RPM, but I was surprised it didn’t sound faster. Pushing the throttle the rest of the way by hand sounded “right”.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I gave it full throttle with the lever then pushed the throttle under the hood the rest of the way. I’d say it increased a couple hundred RPM’s. I’ve always thought full lever throttle sounded a touch low, not that I could tell the RPM, but I was surprised it didn’t sound faster. Pushing the throttle the rest of the way by hand sounded “right”.
Turn the key on and press the RIO button 8 times rapidly then start the engine. That should bring up a digital tach on the dash. WOT throttle is 3600 no load. Cable should be adjusted for that.

·
Registered
2021 X738
73 Posts
Turn the key on and press the RIO button 8 times rapidly then start the engine. That should bring up a digital tach on the dash. WOT throttle is 3600 no load. Cable should be adjusted for that.
Now that is some cool and useful info! I learned something new today!! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

This trick is only for the x7s with the digital dash display.

The RIO button is the orange button on the left side of the steering column.

·
Registered
756 Posts
What is a RIO button and where is it? Thanks
RIO stands for 'reverse implement operation'.

RIO can be activated with the RIO button OR by lifting the PTO lever to the RIO position (positions are off - on - RIO). It must be held in the RIO position until reverse motion has started -- it moves back to the on position when released.

Activating RIO before starting reverse operation will allow the PTO (deck) to continue running in reverse and when RIO is activated and machine is reversing button/lever can be released and the deck will continue to run.

Those that learned to steer with left hand and operate transmissions, motion control levers, hydraulic functions etc etc with the right hand, often find it easier to to get in the habit of using the PTO engage lever - which for RH operation is much handier than the button.
The engage lever does not 'detent' in the RIO position -- it returns to the 'on' position when released. As above, if in reverse motion when it is released the function will stay active until the next time travel is stopped.

The RIO button is the yellow button on LHS of steering wheel in the picture.

There is (or was) a decal on the machine that indicates the RIO button and RIO position for the pto lever.

If button/lever timing is off, and reverse motion occurs before the RIO is activated, the deck will disengage. To re-engage - stop travel and the pto will need to be moved to off and then re-engaged.

·
Registered
2015 X738 60"
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 2015 so pressing it 8 times won’t work.
anyways, I adjusted the throttle cable successfully. The throttle lever isnow much more responsive, giving me throttle adjustment almost immediately. And I have full engine RPM now when the lever is all the way up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.