Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to put di-electric grease on some connections today and thought it was a good idea although I thought about causing a problem.
Put grease on following items.
· Fuses
· Light connection to hood
· 2 other connectors on left side of engine, not sure what they are for

Did some light exterior cleaning and there pulled out to yard to take some pics. Went to move for a better shot, no dash lights, machine “dead”

Checked the following items while checking for dash light after doing each.
· Fuses, all metered good
· Reseated connectors I’d greased
· Cleaned batter terminals and cable ends
· Checked seat switch jumper installed by previous owner
· Unplugged and reseated large connector on right of dash
Still dead…
Finally was rechecking/reseating the fuses. Seems reseating the 30 amp fuse resolved the issue.

Anyway all seems good now. I know, this novice mechanic needs to get a tech manual to at least follow systematic troubleshooting steps.

Here’s the only pic I got fwiw.
20170904_104714.jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apparently di-electric grease conducts electricity? Guess I used to much although I thought I was using it sparingly.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Glad it was an easy fix !!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Apparently di-electric grease conducts electricity? Guess I used to much although I thought I was using it sparingly.

Yes it conducts electricity. Don't get to nuts because it also attracts dirt.

I would get a multi meter first.

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
I have never had an issue with it on connectors and it does help up the street when you need to unhook them. When I have used them on fuses it has caused connection problems and is very hard to get out of a fuse block.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I suspect this is a coincedence, because even from the factory some equipment connectors comes packed with dielectric grease, which by definition is an insulator. I normally apply it quite liberally to both ends of connectors before reseating them when doing maintenance and have never had a problem. The other possibility is that you used some grease that was conductive rather than dielectric?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We were talking about dielectric grease on Facebook. Some said it's conductive while some said it is not. Using permatex grease I laid a bead on a post it note, meter on ohm's, not conductive, 0 ohm's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts