Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem or if what I'm seeing is normal. I have a new to me this summer x744 and when I turn tightish(think 14" tree) the outside rear wheel will rip up the grass. In thick grass it isn't all that noticeable, but in the thin areas it looks like crop circles around my trees. :( At first I thought I must have been driving too fast, but it doesn't matter, it happens at any speed. Any just in case you're wondering, no I'm not stepping on the diff lock button, LOL. So, is this a normal issue or is my diff not working right?

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem or if what I'm seeing is normal. I have a new to me this summer x744 and when I turn tightish(think 14" tree) the outside rear wheel will rip up the grass. In thick grass it isn't all that noticeable, but in the thin areas it looks like crop circles around my trees. :( At first I thought I must have been driving too fast, but it doesn't matter, it happens at any speed. Any just in case you're wondering, no I'm not stepping on the diff lock button, LOL. So, is this a normal issue or is my diff not working right?
Maybe try to do some tight turns on a hard surface and see if it hops around the turn. Even though you’re not pressing the diff lock, it still could be engaged. If the brake linkage isn’t set properly, that will engage the diff lock too...since there is only one brake for both wheels, the diff lock is engaged first when the brake is applied.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
It does sound like the differential lock is engaged. As stated above, do some circles on pavement and if either wheel is "dragging" make sure the DifLock pedal linkage is free. If stuck, try backing up with no pressure on the lock pedal. This "usually" will allow it to disengage.

IF it won't disengage something is hanging the locker up in the transmission case or along the linkage. (Broken return spring, etc.)

Keep us posted!:laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
My x485 AWS does the same thing :banghead: :flag_of_truce:I have not tried to figure out why :hide:. I'll be watching for any answers :good2:. I bought used, so I do not know if this is normal or not :dunno:

·
Registered
58 Posts
My new x739 has torn the heck out of my lawn. Seems to be my front (AWD) causing the problem. I'd love to know why. I certainly don't race around either

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sedgar2

Mine is mainly in turns but I do leave a heavy tire footprint (turns and straights) and I need to make sure I alter my mowing pattern. Yours is doing that per pass or over a period of time?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sedgar2

Mine is mainly in turns but I do leave a heavy tire footprint (turns and straights) and I need to make sure I alter my mowing pattern. Yours is doing that per pass or over a period of time?
Those photos are the maiden cut! There is no PDI (pre-delivery inspection) evidenced as the tires were not properly inflated and the hydraulic fluid was not registering on the stick; 0.0 on the hour meter........ever buy a new car with 0.0 on the odometer?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Looking at those pictures is just painful, and nothing like what I would expect from ANY model JD. I would suggest getting those pictures to the dealer, AND to JD directly. If that doesn't work then jump on the JD promise and have another tractor delivered at their expense.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looking at those pictures is just painful, and nothing like what I would expect from ANY model JD. I would suggest getting those pictures to the dealer, AND to JD directly. If that doesn't work then jump on the JD promise and have another tractor delivered at their expense.

Svc Mgr and tech came out this morning and rode the X739 and took additional pictures. They brought a X738 model (same model w/o AWS0) minus a deck. The washboard effect was more severe on that unit. They mentioned the JD Promise and I see it ended 30SEP18. I took delivery 27SEP. We’ll see........

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drive it on the driveway often and it doesn't hop when it turns. Good call on the diff linkage though, I forgot the brake was tied to it.

Could an alignment issue cause it do you think?

I did find a different issue I need to fix. I went out in the yard last night and saw a couple spots where both back tires and possibly the fronts ripped up the grass. After putting some clues together I figured out it's my 13yo daughter practicing her high speed chase evasion techniques. She tells me she likes the x744 way more than the Craftsman mowers we had. At least she has good taste! :laugh: Now I have to set her down and explain that a garden tractor isn't a toy...or at least not her toy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I drive it on the driveway often and it doesn't hop when it turns. Good call on the diff linkage though, I forgot the brake was tied to it.

Could an alignment issue cause it do you think?

I did find a different issue I need to fix. I went out in the yard last night and saw a couple spots where both back tires and possibly the fronts ripped up the grass. After putting some clues together I figured out it's my 13yo daughter practicing her high speed chase evasion techniques. She tells me she likes the x744 way more than the Craftsman mowers we had. At least she has good taste! :laugh: Now I have to set her down and explain that a garden tractor isn't a toy...or at least not her toy.
This washboard sensation is in straight line travel, not turns. Got the dealer boys scratching their heads. I was an auto tech for many years and always appreciated when customers had an intermittent condition that I could not duplicate. At least it did act up for the dealer’s guys!

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
My x485 AWS does the same thing :banghead: :flag_of_truce:I have not tried to figure out why :hide:. I'll be watching for any answers :good2:. I bought used, so I do not know if this is normal or not :dunno:
Z5,

With my 455, I had issues with the diff lock being engaged very easily. When I rebuilt the entire rear hydro unit and went through and checked everything, everything was correct. The factory spring on this pedal is very minimal and permits the pedal to "sink" towards the floor board as the spring wears. Plus the pedal has bushings on the linkage which wear over time, resulting in the pedal getting softer.

I replaced the factory spring and bushings on the pedal rotational shaft and it didn't raise the pedal height much, just made the pedal a little stiffer like when it was new. With my big feet and with heavy boots on, I was accidentally activating the pedal more often that desired.

I bought a spring assortment somewhere (maybe Harbor Fright) and adding an additional return spring really did the trick. I hooked the extra spring right to the end of the rod at the diff pedal engagement pawl right at the rear end housing where the spring pin secures the rod to the pawl which protrudes from the rear housing.

I had the extra spring pulling towards the rear of the tractor. I hooked the "new" end of the spring at the rock shaft. This dramatically raised the diff pedal, so that instead of sticking up maybe 1.5" through the foot board, The pedal was probably 3" to 4" above the foot board. It also gave the factory spring more resistance which helped prevent it from being engaged unintentionally like when I had been resting my boot and bumping the pedal, etc. or accidentally putting my size 14 Sasquatch Feet on the diff pedal edge by accident.

It's also a very easy fix you can do without removing the fender pan or anything else. Meanwhile, having the new spring raise the pedal changed nothing with the internal components except to make sure the pedal remained un-engaged until desired.

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
Z5,

With my 455, I had issues with the diff lock being engaged very easily. When I rebuilt the entire rear hydro unit and went through and checked everything, everything was correct. The factory spring on this pedal is very minimal and permits the pedal to "sink" towards the floor board as the spring wears. Plus the pedal has bushings on the linkage which wear over time, resulting in the pedal getting softer.

I replaced the factory spring and bushings on the pedal rotational shaft and it didn't raise the pedal height much, just made the pedal a little stiffer like when it was new. With my big feet and with heavy boots on, I was accidentally activating the pedal more often that desired.

I bought a spring assortment somewhere (maybe Harbor Fright) and adding an additional return spring really did the trick. I hooked the extra spring right to the end of the rod at the diff pedal engagement pawl right at the rear end housing where the spring pin secures the rod to the pawl which protrudes from the rear housing.

I had the extra spring pulling towards the rear of the tractor. I hooked the "new" end of the spring at the rock shaft. This dramatically raised the diff pedal, so that instead of sticking up maybe 1.5" through the foot board, The pedal was probably 3" to 4" above the foot board. It also gave the factory spring more resistance which helped prevent it from being engaged unintentionally like when I had been resting my boot and bumping the pedal, etc. or accidentally putting my size 14 Sasquatch Feet on the diff pedal edge by accident.

It's also a very easy fix you can do without removing the fender pan or anything else. Meanwhile, having the new spring raise the pedal changed nothing with the internal components except to make sure the pedal remained un-engaged until desired.
Thanks Sulley, that does not sound hard to do. The local Menards has lots of individual springs, and our town now has a Harbor Freight.

The pedal on mine sits just under 2" measuring from the floor board to the top of the pedal. I can lift it up about an inch. There is a spring just below the floor board that is putting pressure on the pedal against it going up. :dunno: The shaft then goes through the frame to the inside of the frame and I did not trace it any further.

I have not used the traction lock since I bought the machine used in June 2016.

Time for the dog's evening walk, or I would investigate further.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
If it was a diff lock issue, wouldn't it be the inside tire tearing up lawn, not the outside?
Inside OR outside, the tire with the least traction will slip with diflock engaged.

Another thought, too low air pressure "could" cause traction difference in drive tires, and with AWS front soft tires could affect rears...? I'm sure interested in the outcome of this one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, just wanted to give an update on the issue here. We had about two weeks of rain and then I was gone for a week so I finally was able to test last weekend. I mowed the lawn, around all 35+ trees and I don't think I left a single bit of torn up grass. I implemented a pretty elaborate and complicated fix...kept my foot away from the diff lock. :lol: I guess my foot must move around a bit and I don't always notice when my work boot is hitting the diff lock button. Wish I would have realized that before I made all those marks in the lawn.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts