Green Tractor Talk banner

X748 Front lights for plow/snowblower

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TJR345 
#1 ·
So I was looking to add additional lights to the front of my X748 and the factory option was over $200. I didn't want to spend that much so I came up with this:

The lights are 40" wide and the uprights are 30" high. The lights themselves are LEDs from Northern Tool and I originally had them on a trailer that I sold. The steel cost me $20 and the lights I consider free as the were sitting in a box for 3 years. I think that's a lot better than $200.

I wanted it to be easy to take off and put on so I decided to leverage the 1-1/4" receiver on the front of the tractor. I created a sleeved adapter so it doesn't interfere with the quick attach hitch. The welds on the nut to hold it in place are ugly, but my tacks broke, and of course on a Sunday I don't have any more 3/8" nuts (or can't find them).

Unfortunately, the receiver on the front of the X748 does not have a bottom so I will make a clamp to eliminate a little wobble. I have a c-clamp on it for testing and it seems OK. If anyone has an idea for this, please let me know.

The lights can easily be removed and and I can easily put them on the back of the tractor or and atv with the receiver insert design. They will work with the plow or snowblower installed, or just on their own. Next steps are to have the frame powder coated. The wires will run in the frame and out a hole right in front of the grill. I'll also add caps to the ends of the tube.

All feedback is appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good job.

Them goalposts are a little wide for me. I would make them just wide enough to open the hood without problems. I'd be afraid I would run them into something when the attachments are off.

Reactions: etcallhome
#4 ·
mycornerofthebarn,

If you are finding too much wobble with your bracket that fits into your front receiver hitch, you might try to weld a couple of very small and fine beads on the section of the bracket that fits into the receiver.

Then grind those beads down just enough so that you have a snug fit. Don't know if will work or not but maybe worth a try.

Reactions: mjncad
#8 ·
Looks great.Need a night pic.:good2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.