Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I have zero experience dismantling a transaxle and didn't have too many problems doing so.

Hopefully this time around with proper maintenance and care I won't have to do it again for a couple of thousand hours. Everything else inside looked like brand new.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you can, I would try and engage the PTO at a lower speed if you can. On my 445, I can engage at just below 1/2 throttle and I try to disengage at idle. My 1026R manual states to engage and disengage the PTO at idle and it will do so with no problems because it is a Diesel. The 445 being Gas has problems at idle engaging my 54" deck, never had a problem with the snow blower if it was not choked with snow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yes I was going to ask what the consensus was on that. I've seen it in manuals saying to use WOT to engage/disengage, but many people saying to use idle..

·
Registered
392 Posts
The greater the speed difference between the parts, the more work the clutch/brake have to due to equalize the speed on the output and the input. If you are driving a manual transmission car/truck, unless you are drag racing, you just apply enough throttle to get the vehicle moving to minimize wear on the drive train.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yes, I completely agree.

I wonder why they say to engage with WOT in the manual though? Seems odd.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Not 100% sure on the theory of operation but if it takes hydrostatic pressure to lock up the clutch that might be a reason for higher RPM. On my X585 with the same transmission, I would do it at 1/2 throttle.

·
Premium Member
14,726 Posts
The manual for the x738 , x590 and when I fad a 425 , all were "full throttle when starting or stopping pto ,to avoid damage .

2210,2305 and series 1 idle when staring or stopping pto.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
What trans is in the 1 series? Is it the Tuff Torq K92? What would be the difference between the X748 and the 1 series to warrant a complete opposite procedure of engaging the PTO?

·
Premium Member
14,726 Posts
My understanding is that one is electric engage the other is hyd engage..

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
No the TuffTorq is only in the X Series.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Tuff Torque is in Most JD Tractors, just different TT models. As for pressure to engage the clutch, I believe that is not dependent on RPM. Increasing RPM should increase volume and this should only raise pressure if the system is worn and has a lot of internal leakage.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Yes, I completely agree.

I wonder why they say to engage with WOT in the manual though? Seems odd.
Allot of JD manuals say that. Most of the gas models really struggle to stay running if you don’t crank up the rpms when you engage the pto. The Diesel engine in the x748 has pretty of torque to engage the pto at idle.
that is definitely the way to go for optimal clutch life

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Experimented today engaging the PTO. You're right, the X748 can easily engage the PTO at idle. I found cracking the throttle slightly, then engaging the PTO seemed to sound the smoothest.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
As someone else mentioned, it is likely the same manual for the gas version. Depending on what you are powering with the PTO and a gas engine you may need more RPM for enough torque to keep from stalling the engine. The only thing I have ever used the PTO for is the mower and snow thrower and neither have an issue at 1/2 throttle.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts