Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am doing my research before making the big plunge on either an x748 or 1026r. At first glance, I wanted the 1026r. My dealer let me take a test ride and I fell in love with it until I started across a long and narrow strip of yard where I would have to mow sideways across a slope (I can't do up and down because the path is only about 10 feet wide and 100 yards long). I am used to my little L lawn mower that sits much lower to the ground and is much lighter. I usually just sit on on side of the tractor and my weight has always been more than enough ballast to prevent a sideways rollover. The 1026 didn't tip but I wasn't used to being up that high and felt nervous on the slope. My dealer suggested I try the x748 and said it sits a little lower. I have also read a few posts claiming the same thing. Of course the new x series tractors don't allow for a loader so I thought I would just by a slightly used one. I was all set to purchase when I spoke to a friend and he said he doesn't believe the x series has a lower center of gravity. He pointed out that the 1 series has a wider stance across the back tires and although it is a bit longer than the x series, it doesn't sit any higher off the ground. So I went to the dealer with my tape measure. It seems they both sit about the same height off the ground. The seat hight seems about the same too. The 1 series is slightly wider than the x series across the back tires. When I look up specs, they don't measure the same items so it is hard to do an online comparison of height. Does the X748 truly have a lower center of gravity or does it just look like it does because it doesn't have ROPS?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am doing my research before making the big plunge on either an x748 or 1026r. At first glance, I wanted the 1026r. My dealer let me take a test ride and I fell in love with it until I started across a long and narrow strip of yard where I would have to mow sideways across a slope (I can't do up and down because the path is only about 10 feet wide and 100 yards long). I am used to my little L lawn mower that sits much lower to the ground and is much lighter. I usually just sit on on side of the tractor and my weight has always been more than enough ballast to prevent a sideways rollover. The 1026 didn't tip but I wasn't used to being up that high and felt nervous on the slope. My dealer suggested I try the x748 and said it sits a little lower. I have also read a few posts claiming the same thing. Of course the new x series tractors don't allow for a loader so I thought I would just by a slightly used one. I was all set to purchase when I spoke to a friend and he said he doesn't believe the x series has a lower center of gravity. He pointed out that the 1 series has a wider stance across the back tires and although it is a bit longer than the x series, it doesn't sit any higher off the ground. So I went to the dealer with my tape measure. It seems they both sit about the same height off the ground. The seat hight seems about the same too. The 1 series is slightly wider than the x series across the back tires. When I look up specs, they don't measure the same items so it is hard to do an online comparison of height. Does the X748 truly have a lower center of gravity or does it just look like it does because it doesn't have ROPS?
I think it's going to be hard for anyone to truly answer that question in any sort of factual manner. I have an x748, and all I can say is that it handles slopes very well, and I think it would be pretty hard to turn it over.

·
Premium Member
19,561 Posts
Agree the first few times you mow with 1025r ,,,2305 it does seem like it might roll . I have used a x585 , a 2305 and 1025r all on hill sides. If you take your little rider now, I don't see why you can't take either one .
In Morgantown at daughters SIL I have used his x 585 appx 4 yrs. , last summer it was in the shop , I had to use my SIL 2305 on same property , neither one has wheel weights.
Buying either one should do a fine job. For the first few times take it slow and easy . On a few places here and other there I have gotten off the tractor and tried rocking the high side to see if wheel or wheels would come off the ground. Just enough to rock not enough to roll the tractor. Even with that I stilled mowed very slow , now 10-13 yrs later it's just feels natural . Yes if I'm in a different area mowed maybe once every couple of years I still take it slow and easy.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Since both machine seats are about the same height (and if you want to really consider a SCUT) look at how much weight difference there is towards the rear of both machines. This is where the real "tipping point" is being affected. I don't know where you can come up with actual F-R axle loadings, but I'd venture to say the 10XX series is going to be more stable because of it's greater weight towards the rear.

I mow a side slope at all angles along my driveway. My GX335 handles it fine parallel with "One cheek over the line". I can stay right in the seat on my 1026r at all angles. Remember with all front pivot axle tractors, your safety is in weight balanced towards the rear of the tractor, the front axle does little for stability.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I did a little calculation for a 2305 which is very similar to the 1 series as my chart does not have the 1 series in it. As you can see, by using the ballast box, only lightly filled, you can increase the weight of the already rear heavy tractor substantially, up to over 2,000 lbs with 81% of the weight on the rear. But more important, with the ballast box, you can keep the weight very close to the ground, thereby lowering the center of gravity. Loaded rear tires are another possibility, however the weight increase is not as substantial.

Another factor is the ROPS. If you roll the X series, there is no ROPS to protect you. Just remember, you must use the seat belt to get the protection of the ROPS.

I started out looking at the X series, but when I discovered that the pricing was nearly the same as the 1 series, I moved up to a "real" tractor, where I can do so much more. The X series is basically a high priced riding mower, but if that is all you will use it for, then it works for you. However, with the 1 series, you will quickly discover how many more things you will want to do with it. Been there, done that and got the T-shirt. Just got the loader(FEL) a few days ago that I had initially decided that I would not need. I am now up to a half dozen attachments. So beware of the attachment fever as it will hit you and hit hard. Now that I have the FEL, I need forks and bolt on hooks, etc. It never ends.

Dave

Text Green Line Font Parallel

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Back when I wanted to replace my 318 I had the same two models in my mind. I felt the 1026R was a better value for my $$. I was also worried as I have some sketchy hills to mow. My dealer was nice enough to let me demo the 1026R and I have never doubted the purchase. What a great machine the 1026 is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
if i were mowing slopes, and had real concern of a tip over, the roll bar and seat belt of the sub-compact would be very appealing to me. i have seen the first hand results of an x-series roll over. we repaired one @ dealership. i still to this day cannot get the thought of a person getting tangled up with a mower deck. plus you should be able to set the sub-compact up wider, by flipping the wheels around? i would also think you could ballast the sub-compact to be a little heavier.

·
Administrator
22,228 Posts
if i were mowing slopes, and had real concern of a tip over, the roll bar and seat belt of the sub-compact would be very appealing to me. i have seen the first hand results of an x-series roll over. we repaired one @ dealership. i still to this day cannot get the thought of a person getting tangled up with a mower deck. plus you should be able to set the sub-compact up wider, by flipping the wheels around? i would also think you could ballast the sub-compact to be a little heavier.
The rear wheels are factory set at the wide position. Some members have had good success with wheel spacers. I highly recommend liquid ballast in the rear tires, it does makes a huge difference. Even the ride was improved with the R4 tires.

Just remember, the mower itself is great ballast. You couldn't get something that heavy (at least 300lbs), perfectly centered and low to the ground any better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you get the 1026/1025 definitely get liquid in the tires. I got my ballast after I had the tractor for a while. Made a huge difference as I live on the side of a mountain. Also for my hills the ROPS was a big factor in my decision. I also have a ballast box but go a little lighter in it as the wheels are filled, makes a big difference when moving concrete in the bucket.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I am going the route of wheel weights and with the 72 lb starter weights and one set of 55 lb wheel weights the difference in stability is night and day. Hopefully one day I will go with a set of spacers for the rear and I think I will be set.

The 1025 feels more stable than my old 322

·
Premium Member
19,561 Posts
Haven't had a chance to try this but had a old set of lifting weights either 100 or 125 total . This summer found a 25 # lifting weight and had thrown it in the ballast box. Had a heavy gauge piece of piece cut it a few inches longer than both side of the drawbar width and planning on putting at least a 100# on the bar plus the rear tire weights should work when I have the snowblower on tractor.
Already have the wheel spacers since I have the BH subframe ,so chains can be put on tractor.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lower center of gravity...

I have both a 1026R & a X700, neither I use for mowing.
Side by side the X700 is much lower than the 1026R so it has to have a much lower center of gravity.

Problems occur when you have a FEL raised, as that raises your center of gravity or you take a corner too sharp on a slope also causing the center of gravity to shift.

The MMM would help to lower the center of gravity on either machine.
I have some dangerous slopes to mow myself & use a older Toro Zero Turn as I figure I'm already sitting on the ground in that (barely) and I wouldn't be able to fall much further!! Even with that I mow SLOW and I take corners very carefully!!!

Just my opinion & observation.
Both are good machines!!

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Problems occur when you have a FEL raised, as that raises your center of gravity
Been there.....done that on a slope! Can you say "PUCKER FACTOR!" Won't be making that mistake again. :hide:

Reactions: dieselshadow

·
Administrator
22,228 Posts
Been there.....done that on a slope! Can you say "PUCKER FACTOR!" Won't be making that mistake again. :hide:
I believe I had a good grip on my seat when that happened to me. And I wasn't using my hands. :laugh:

Properly ballasted your tractor is fairly safe, however the safest thing you can do is operate it safely and within the tractor's abilities. Go slow and deliberate, keep your load low, and when in doubt come up with a better plan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Duke,
I took some rough (really rough) measurements of both and didn't seem to see a difference in height. I should have laid a straight bar across the seat to take the measurement. I measured both and it seems like the engines sit about 18" off the ground. Do you have measurements of how high the seats sit off the ground? I forgot to write that down but I think they were within an inch or two from each other (but then again, believe it or not, I am terrible at measuring).
I just sold my xmark vantage stander because the two wheel drive would slide right down the hills with turf tires and would dig into the ground with AG's. Can you take a side by side picture? Get some measurements? I envy you. A 1026, x748 and a z turn!!!!!! nice?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey Duke,
I took some rough (really rough) measurements of both and didn't seem to see a difference in height. I should have laid a straight bar across the seat to take the measurement. I measured both and it seems like the engines sit about 18" off the ground. Do you have measurements of how high the seats sit off the ground? I forgot to write that down but I think they were within an inch or two from each other (but then again, believe it or not, I am terrible at measuring).
I just sold my xmark vantage stander because the two wheel drive would slide right down the hills with turf tires and would dig into the ground with AG's. Can you take a side by side picture? Get some measurements? I envy you. A 1026, x748 and a z turn!!!!!! nice
OK, you sparked my interest enough to chase me outside at -20' on a dark night!! LOL
You are close on your observations!
The seat on the X700 = 35" on the 1026R = 40"
The engine frame bottom are both about 18"
Both are about 44" wide at back wheels, 1026R maybe a bit wider.
HOWEVER, with the ROPS, taller engine & FEL on my 1026R, that pushes the center of gravity higher up. As you look side by side, the X700 looks smaller, mostly due to lack of attachments.

I apologize as I took measurements quickly as it is minus 20' below zero!!
Hope this helps!!

P.S. I also have a harder time climbing into the 1026R than I do the X700!!
I'm no teenager anymore :(

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I just put in my order. I opted for the 1 series. Truthfully, I might have done better with the x series on that hill but I figured I will load the tires, add some wheel spacers and a ballast box and I should be fine. If not, I'll use the FEL to build up that hill to angle that I feel comfortable with. I haven't felt this happy since I was a boy!

·
Administrator
22,228 Posts
Congrats!:greentractorride: I'm sure you'll like the 1025R.

Very wise choice to get the ballast box. So many owners (and dealers...) don't know about the safety and requirements to properly ballast a tractor. You sir are not in that bunch.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Yeah I just put in my order. I opted for the 1 series. Truthfully, I might have done better with the x series on that hill but I figured I will load the tires, add some wheel spacers and a ballast box and I should be fine. If not, I'll use the FEL to build up that hill to angle that I feel comfortable with. I haven't felt this happy since I was a boy!

FG told me that the only thing different between men and boys is the price of their toys:lol:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.