Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am doing my research before making the big plunge on either an x748 or 1026r. At first glance, I wanted the 1026r. My dealer let me take a test ride and I fell in love with it until I started across a long and narrow strip of yard where I would have to mow sideways across a slope (I can't do up and down because the path is only about 10 feet wide and 100 yards long). I am used to my little L lawn mower that sits much lower to the ground and is much lighter. I usually just sit on on side of the tractor and my weight has always been more than enough ballast to prevent a sideways rollover. The 1026 didn't tip but I wasn't used to being up that high and felt nervous on the slope. My dealer suggested I try the x748 and said it sits a little lower. I have also read a few posts claiming the same thing. Of course the new x series tractors don't allow for a loader so I thought I would just by a slightly used one. I was all set to purchase when I spoke to a friend and he said he doesn't believe the x series has a lower center of gravity. He pointed out that the 1 series has a wider stance across the back tires and although it is a bit longer than the x series, it doesn't sit any higher off the ground. So I went to the dealer with my tape measure. It seems they both sit about the same height off the ground. The seat hight seems about the same too. The 1 series is slightly wider than the x series across the back tires. When I look up specs, they don't measure the same items so it is hard to do an online comparison of height. Does the X748 truly have a lower center of gravity or does it just look like it does because it doesn't have ROPS?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Duke,
I took some rough (really rough) measurements of both and didn't seem to see a difference in height. I should have laid a straight bar across the seat to take the measurement. I measured both and it seems like the engines sit about 18" off the ground. Do you have measurements of how high the seats sit off the ground? I forgot to write that down but I think they were within an inch or two from each other (but then again, believe it or not, I am terrible at measuring).
I just sold my xmark vantage stander because the two wheel drive would slide right down the hills with turf tires and would dig into the ground with AG's. Can you take a side by side picture? Get some measurements? I envy you. A 1026, x748 and a z turn!!!!!! nice?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I just put in my order. I opted for the 1 series. Truthfully, I might have done better with the x series on that hill but I figured I will load the tires, add some wheel spacers and a ballast box and I should be fine. If not, I'll use the FEL to build up that hill to angle that I feel comfortable with. I haven't felt this happy since I was a boy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
FG told me that the only thing different between men and boys is the price of their toys:lol:
Yes and this toy is a bit on the pricey side but I think it will pay off in the long run. I'm already thinking of all things I can do with it. I can see this purchase is just the beginning. Now I am looking at the heavy hitch and plows for a garden. My wife had no idea what was going on when I bought her that expensive purse for Christmas! It's Green Acres in 2014!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
"Coach" purse Christmas brib.... er... "present" here as well, but my wife is long experienced with ploys like that and knows something "powered" will be arriving for the shop in future.

I didn't know how unashamedly I would use my FEL when I got it. I mean transporting potted plants in it where I used to hand truck 'em, etc. Composting with a loader is a whole new joy! :laugh:
You and I could have been sitting on that same bench at the Mall. Lol
Really, what can they do with those purses compared to what we can do with our tractors?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You will love it!!
Made so many big jobs easier for me!!
The FEL & ballast box are a perfect tool for many things.

Just pause a minute & think, where you are, position of tractor on slope or ? & position of FEL?
I was a volunteer firefighter for 22 years, both wildland & regular fire dept.
The "pause & think" before you act saved my tushy many times over, I can't express that enough!!

Enjoy your new tractor, a little care & maintenance & it will serve you well for many years!
Thanks Duke. I will keep that in mind. Stop and think. I often use that tactic when I speak and it's done me a lot of good. I am guessing that If I buy attachments, I have to look for a sub 1 category???? I think I need to spend some time on the implements blog. This is all so new to me. It's nice to see so many helpful folks on this blog. Thanks to you and everyone else!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If you get the FEL you will want to get some forks from Artillian. I find that I use the forks more than the bucket.
For the bucket you will want to get some hooks from Ken, both are great additions.

Doug
Doug,

Those forks look pretty cool. I'll have to try that. I was also planning on buying hooks as I saw a video where this guy had a chain attached to them. Very useful. Do you recommend a particular size on the forks?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Any CAT 1 implement should work fine for you. If you plan on getting a quick hitch, make sure to get only quick hitch compatible implements. That way an upgrade to the quick hitch is painless. :good2:
Diesel Shadow,
It sounds like a quick hitch is the way to go. Is that a john deere product or a third party vendor?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Gt1760223 I have a feeling you are going to be doing HONEY Do List for a long time , with everything you will be buying....
Yes and with a new task there is one more reason to buy another attachment. I am wondering if I should get a box blade an put weights on it somehow or just buy a separate ballast box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
"Multi-tasker" eh? I like getting multiple uses out of stuff as well like my ballast box that ballasts and can still be a carry-all box. I don't stuff mine full to the gunnels with weight, I've just got it to about 250# worth of concrete pavers... Just enough room left to nicely contain stuff like a fuel can, tools, chain, a 5gal bucket of whatever, etc. And just to keep it "adjustable" I only use removable solid weight. Of course unless you drag it on the ground just right it ain't a box blade, but you can't haul fuel cans to the pump with a box blade (stock) either.:laugh:
Point well taken?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.