Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a while now at buying a used x series tractor in the very near future. I’ve been pretty set on a gas model, but just recently have been tossing around the idea of a diesel. I test drove a 2008 X748 with 650 hours in really good shape today and was a little surprised at how much the machine jumped around upon start-up? Like I thought the hood was going to fly off! Ok maybe not that bad, but much more than I was expecting. Not a smooth start-up. But also the first diesel lawn tractor I’ve tried. Is this normal with the diesels? I have a diesel tonner truck and other diesel machinery, so I know the deal as far as that goes. But this caught me off guard. Also, any other big selling points to get me on board for buying a diesel? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
I always start my X748 In low throttle so I don't encounter any Jump as you put it! If It's Been cold for a while and you start it at full throttle I could see it Having a Bit of a Jump as you put it (y)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a somewhat cold day (35 degrees), but I let the glow plug light shut off and the throttle was all the way down as it was started.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
It was a somewhat cold day (35 degrees), but I let the glow plug light shut off and the throttle was all the way down as it was started.
I guess You should Have Taken a Video of it with a Phone Just to see what Other Might say to us it Might be Normal or it Might be a Issue (y)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
35 deg definitely will have an effect on the smoothness of the start. I’m surprised you didn’t comment on the little shake they have when you shut them down. 20-1 compression puts up a fight on starting and stopping...just the nature of the beast. The Yanmar is a great engine.
As far as the x748 goes, I bought mine new in 2006. I have 1600ish hours on it and it has been great.
I prefer the mechanical 4wd, but others will swear by the hydraulic full time 4wd of the later models.
To Sergeant’s point, it hard to say what’s normal without seeing it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. That makes me feel better about it then. I guess I was mainly wondering if the diesel jump is considerably more than a gas equivalent model?
Next question is aimed at the 4x4. Does the hydro 4x4 tear up grass? I know the direct drive 4x4 will. Any first hand experience there?

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler Town & Country
152 Posts
I have been looking for a while now at buying a used x series tractor in the very near future. I’ve been pretty set on a gas model, but just recently have been tossing around the idea of a diesel. I test drove a 2008 X748 with 650 hours in really good shape today and was a little surprised at how much the machine jumped around upon start-up? Like I thought the hood was going to fly off! Ok maybe not that bad, but much more than I was expecting. Not a smooth start-up. But also the first diesel lawn tractor I’ve tried. Is this normal with the diesels? I have a diesel tonner truck and other diesel machinery, so I know the deal as far as that goes. But this caught me off guard. Also, any other big selling points to get me on board for buying a diesel? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Diesels are a bit rough at idle especally when its cold. I always pre heat two or three times when its cold. Once you get used to a smoker you'll never want go back to a gas. Kent

·
Premium Member
18,066 Posts
I've mowed with a x590 for apx 400 hrs and now a x738 for apx 350 hrs.

IMO x590 does more damage to the grass. 🤷‍♂️ When 4wd is needed , it is there within a 1/4 turn of rear wheel. going down hills amazing, works like a charm. If I didn't like my 1025 and needing FEL or rear 3pt I would bur x738 or one with diesel.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Ok. That makes me feel better about it then. I guess I was mainly wondering if the diesel jump is considerably more than a gas equivalent model?
Next question is aimed at the 4x4. Does the hydro 4x4 tear up grass? I know the direct drive 4x4 will. Any first hand experience there?
From what I understand the hydraulic 4wd does a great job and does not tear up the grass. On the gas Vs diesel smoothness, they are just different animals. The Diesel engine is much heavier and larger displacement than its gas counterpart. It produces its torque and consequently its power at a lower rpm. I think I share the sentiment of most people on here that diesels are great!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The hydraulic AWD does not tear up grass. Mowing or hauling, up or down hills it's easy on the grass. My x738 has never spun a wheel while mowing.

I guess if you do donuts at full speed around a tree it will. Then again there aren't many tractors you can get to drift around corners in mud and snow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Either style hfwd or mfwd will work great, some perfer the option of going in and out of 4wd. If your going to be mowing alot of grass thats on hills where you'll want or need 4wd id lean towards hfwd if not save some money get the old style, i might be biased tho. Both have been very dependable and very seldom someone comes by with issues. The only one off hand i can think of was the first couple years some people had front wheel scuffing from the hydraulic motors being out of adjustment. One turns slower vs other in turn. Also if it mattered the 06-10 had the larger 1.1l yanmar tho no one has ever complained of not enough power with the smaller ones.I love my 2007 and will never part with it.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Reason Deere went to the All wheel Drive system over the Traditional 4WD system was do to the Fact the AWD system had Less wheel slippage ie Better Traction that the Traditional 4WD system Plus it allowed the Tractor to Maintain the 2WD turn radius! The traditional 4WD system has a 28inch turn radius in 2WD and a 48.5 inch turn radius in 4WD. While the AWD system gives you a 25 inch turn radius which is the same as the 2WD Non AWS models.

The AWD system was used first on the X729 & X749 AWD/AWS models.

Big reason I bought a X485 In 2003 was the Turn radius of the X585 in 2WD Mode That 28inch was not very user friend for The Obstacles I mowed around at my Previous house it funny but that extra 3inches Made a Big difference when Mowing around my Tree Planters so I bought the 2WD X485 at the time. Finally in 2014 I upgraded to a 2012 X748 with AWD Haven't torn up the Grass yet with My AWD X748 and I run the Kenda Version of the HDAP tire even with the 45 loader on & a full bucket I haven't torn up the Yard Unless it's tremendously wet.

As summer stated if the Front AWD axle is out of adjustment you Might tear up the Yard In Normal mowing conditions But if adjusted right which it usually was out of the Factory it will not tear up the Yard Unless you yard is a sponge (y)

·
Registered
465 Posts
The diesel will rattle the hood around at startup and shut down. No issues with the AWD. It will leave tracks around trees when soil conditions are wet but so did my 2wd x500

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'd like to see (or hear about) a side by side comparison of Awd and 2wd from same series and engine type..

I think there is a chance that with the awd fronts pulling the fronts that they may mark less the the 2wd which only has the side load on fronts to direct the machine around the corners.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The most notable thing I've seen in reduced damage to grass is simply that you never spin a wheel because you don't have enough traction. Most notably when going up hills or in wet grass.

A 2wd tractor is simply much more apt to slop a rear wheel and rip up a patch of grass. HDAP tires on the rear of a 2wd tractor would certainly help but theres just no comparison to how much traction an AWD x7 has.

As for turning and the AWD it really doesn't hurt the grass even at full wheel lock. After I got my grapple I carried thousands of pounds of rocks across my lawn in countless trips. Turn and and carefully placing them in a row to edge the lawn. Other than some flat grass that bounced back after a couple days there was no damage to the lawn.

Reactions: arlen
1 - 16 of 16 Posts