Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just acquired an X749 to replace my 455. As winter approaches I always put the snow plow on and return the deck in the spring. As I took the deck off the X model, I noticed that the PTO coupler is very well hidden by linkage and other parts. Looks like it will be a devil to put on.

Anyone have any short cuts, hacks, or tips for making it easier?

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can back up tractor on ramps and slide in from rear or reach in from left side while the gauge wheel from deck dig into your ribs while you use bad language. When installing, you sometimes have to rotate blades very slightly to get coupler splines aligned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting to old for this. Laying on concrete just isn't as fun as it used to be.

Ramps seem to be a decent idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's an expensive option but you could pick up a new 54HC or 60HC deck and the auto connect adapter.

The new decks are drive over decks so there is no more crawling or pushing the deck around. The auto connect means no more drive shaft couplers to play with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would sure consider an auto connect deck. I'd have to make sure the will fit AWS X749.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't mind pulling the deck out from under the tractor. I just hate connecting the driveshaft. What part numbers would I need to get?

·
Registered
835 Posts
They aren't listed as compatable with the x749 but I'm not sure what parts you would need to make it all work. I thought you could mount the older 54c and 60c decks to a newer x7 so I figured you could mount the newer deck on the older tractors might be wrong though.

·
Premium Member
2,121 Posts
They aren't listed as compatable with the x749 but I'm not sure what parts you would need to make it all work. I thought you could mount the older 54c and 60c decks to a newer x7 so I figured you could mount the newer deck on the older tractors might be wrong though.

It's costly to do But Can be done But You have to Buy a new Deck and the auto connect system
Front draft Link $113.00
auto connect hitch $203.32
54inch HC deck $1,735.00 subtract about $190 from the cost without drive shaft
auto connect $514.67
about $2,375.00 Not Including Hardware and Pins so with Tax and Hardware figure as High as $2,700 or Higher

The Other Issue You could Run into are the Holes In the frame for Placing the auto-connect frame In Place on the X749 Frame That about the Only real Big Issue You Might have to drill two holes

Now the 48inch deck for the signature series is now auto-Connect But it Is Not a drive over deck You slide the deck in from the side then drive forward to connect the deck I think that could be adapted to Your existing deck and You Just manually slide you deck Back and it clicks into Place Then you still have to mount the front draft arms (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well considering I only have to deal with this once a year, $2500 +/- over maybe 10 years, for $250 a year, I can hire a dancing girl to come help. I'll supply the ramps.

·
Premium Member
2,121 Posts
Well considering I only have to deal with this once a year, $2500 +/- over maybe 10 years, for $250 a year, I can hire a dancing girl to come help. I'll supply the ramps.
Well I am a Old Broken down Infantryman( 21 Plus year of Carry 250 Plus Pounds on gear on my back) In My Late 50's I Lay Next to the right side of the Tractor and slip On the PTO shaft Myself Takes about a Minute or two But I don't Use My X748 for Mowing anymore
Right Now it a Cub Cadet XT3 GSX and a JD GX335 that handle the Mowing This coming summer Hopefully I'll Have a Cub Cadet S or SX series Z force zero turn for Mowing But I still have to Lay down next to the X748 if I want to use the Hydraulic tiller as the PTO Pump is run By the Mid PTO (y)

·
Registered
835 Posts
I did warn you it was an expensive option.

I use my x738 for a lot more than mowing and being able to drop the deck off in a few seconds is a huge plus. Then again my tractor came with all the bits to make that happen, so it was all included in one large purchase price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The X749 makes the job extra difficult with steering linkage right smack in the way on the left side and underneath and the oil filter on the right. I question whether or not autoconnect is even available as I have not seen it specifically. It's an incredible machine but this is a big draw back. Hopefully ramps will do the trick.

·
Premium Member
2,121 Posts
The X749 makes the job extra difficult with steering linkage right smack in the way on the left side and underneath and the oil filter on the right. I question whether or not autoconnect is even available as I have not seen it specifically. It's an incredible machine but this is a big draw back. Hopefully ramps will do the trick.
What I do is Mount the drive shaft first Before I attach anything to the deck That way You Can push the deck slightly off kilter. Once drive shaft is Mounted Push the deck Back then Lower Mid Lift arms In front of connection rods Go to the front Put On front Draft arms/Bale what ever You want to Call it You Pull the deck forward Into the Mid Arms then Mount front draft arm.
The downside of Ramps You Might have to Pick Up the deck to Mount it On the Mid Lift arms If it Not already On there Because the arms will be In the way trying to Mount it from the side Make sure You grease the quick Coupler well Before Mounting so it slides back and forth easily On the drive shaft You Can actually Mount the Drive shaft Blind as Long as You Have set the quick release On the coupler Back Before Mounting. Feel for the Mid PTO stub Put drive shaft Up to stud should slid right on

The Blind way works best from the Rear of the Tractor No Matter what You'll Probably have to Lay down to get this Mounted

It was the Only time In the Past I wish I had Sub compact or Compact was Mounting the deck But I have the auto-Connect On My 2025R But I don't mow with that either (y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts