Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new :) Our diesel mower doesn't start and makes a clicking noise. Battery is good. Starter solenoid is getting 1V signal when starting. Does that mean a bad relay and does anyone know where the starter relay is on this one? Thanks! 馃

Registered
Relays are normally on the fuse block for most JD models and there are probably more than one. The 1 volt signal is measured at the large or small post on the starter solenoid? If the small post, the relay is probably not passing on the voltage. You can temporarily connect a jumper from the large terminal to the small terminal to see if the engine cranks over and with the key on the engine should start. On my 1026R diesel, I have three relays, one for the starter circuit, one for the Glow Plugs and one for the Fuel Shut off Solenoid. All three are identical and I just swapped them around when they have failed on me, so far the starter solenoid is the only original one remaining. You should have a relay identification on the fuse identification label and this time of year, I would swap the Glow Plug Relay for the starter relay and see if it starts. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Reactions: SulleyBear

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you! unfortunately, this one only has 2 relays - one to the glow plugs and one to the fuel pump. But the wire that plugs into the small terminal goes to the dashboard/ circuit board.

we tried a wire from the small terminal to the large terminal and with they key on, it does not start...

Registered
Does it roll over?

Registered
Unfortunately with out the service manual, you and anyone else, myself included will be guessing and if you make a wrong move you could damage some expensive computer parts like the dash cluster that is now used to control a lot of functions. Have you inspected the wiring harness to and from the cluster to see if some rodent has not chewed on the wiring causing issues? You might also unplug the wiring plugs and inspect that all the terminals are bright and shiny and are at the same level and not pushed into the plug so that it will not connect to the other half of the connection.

Registered
If it won't roll over when jumping to the large terminal, I would start inspecting the battery cables both the power lead to the starter relay and the ground from the engine to the battery and the frame. Some engines go from the engine to the frame and then to the battery and some engines go directly back to the battery, bad grounds cause a lot of issues. Have you checked the battery it self, JD batteries are known to work good and then all of a sudden just die so bad they will not even light up any lights or the dash.

Registered
You also might run a jumper directly from the battery positive terminal directly to the small terminal to see if the starter will come to life. It really is a simple circuit that can cause so many problems

Registered
An easy way to test for a bad ground is to attach a heavy jumper cable to the engine and the battery negative post. Same for a bad posative cable, connect directly to the large starter terminal and the battery positive terminal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we bought a new battery, it's fully charged.

direct ground from battery negative to starter body has been checked and does not start. and we did try jumping directly positive to small solenoid terminal with key in start position and no start. Also (not at the same time) connected directly from large solenoid terminal to positive. :(

Registered
Sounds like the Starter or solenoid, I believe removing the starter is your next step. Most solenoids can be removed from the starter for testing on your work bench. Some you have to twist after removing the mounting screws and some come directly off.

Registered
I would suggest re-testing the starter on the bench using your jumper cables, connecting to the large terminal and the case and then jumpering to the little terminal, the solenoid should click and pull the small gear out and start spinning. If not, change the solenoid. I have in the past been able to open the solenoid and clean the contacts and also clean any rust off the plunger to get the mechanism freed up with out having to buy new parts. My moto is it is broken so I can't cause any more damage and might actually be able to repair the part. Sometimes it will not work, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Reactions: X758er and sarah111

Registered
Good luck and let me know what you find, I have to step away from the computer now, I have an appointment i have to go out for now.

Registered
Do you have 12v at the starter from the battery?
If you do and you properly jumped from that terminal to the small terminal on the starter solenoid and the
machine didn't start, then yes you have a bad solenoid. I'm thinking the solenoid is shorted is why you
got a reading of 1v and not 12v at the solenoid. Disconnect the wire to the solenoid and check again for 12v.

You need 12v to the starter solenoid not 1v.

Do you have 12v volts to the ignition switch? You should, so if not, there is probably a fuse on the 12v line that's blown.
In the start position, you also should have 12v coming out of the ignition switch. If not , bad switch, if you
do then bad starter relay (that's where the 12v goes).
Do continuity checks to check for broken 12v wires.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.