Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a 2015 x750 with powerflow and 19 bushel cart. The first few times using were for short periods. The last time we ran it was for a couple of hours in a sitting. During that time the deck disengaged 5-6 times. What we noticed the last couple of times was that the temp gauge was at the white line before you go over to 'H' - so it is running hot. Does this mower have a sensor that turns deck off to keep from overheating kind of like a newer diesel truck would? We only have 5 hours on it. The coolant level is good and radiator is clean. The dealer did come pick it up. I am just trying to learn.
Thanks

We have the 60" HC deck

·
Registered
178 Posts
SandR,

I believe that the transaxle has a temp sensor in it and will shut down the PTO (thus your mower) when the transmission fluid gets too hot.

Just a suggestion, check your transmission fluid level and see if it is low and also the area in front of the transmission oil cooler and see if it has any debris in front of it.

·
Premium Member
14,701 Posts
Sounds like temp sensor is shutting the engine down.. or a loose wire. Daughters FIL x585 his temp gauge would go clear over on Red but it would keep running. After close to $500 he just found out it was a bad dash.

Guessing should be a easy and quick fix.,,,,hope so .

:munch:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Sounds like temp sensor is shutting the engine down.. or a loose wire. Daughters FIL x585 his temp gauge would go clear over on Red but it would keep running. After close to $500 he just found out it was a bad dash.

Guessing should be a easy and quick fix.,,,,hope so .

Mine does the same but the PTO keeps running. However it is possible that a newer machine has a temp safety that is cutting it out. In the case of the X585 it is a dash issue not a sensor reading so that might why the PTO keeps going.

I had the reverse sensor fail on mine as well. So the PTO would assume I was backing and cut out. I just bypassed the reverse switch since I hated having to hold the PTO switch up while backing anyhow. This was many years ago though so I don't recall the exact symptom. I would say it was different. It either would not engage at all or would cut out as soon as I released the PTO switch. Either way different than the OP.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
My x758 does the same thing when the temps are over 80 degrees out, it will shut the pto down in as little as 15 minutes sometimes, and it has been in several times for it. They've changed the sensor and water pump. They also tried a different filter screen. I don't know if mine got fixed the last time they had it last fall, because by the time I got it back we didn't have any hot weather left when I needed to mow, so it will be late June or July when I can see if it's fixed or not. Not all of them have this problem since my coworker also has an x758 (purchased about the same time as mine) and his doesn't do it like mine does. But it is a safety feature to let you know to clean the radiator screen off. I wish they also had a warning light or something on the dash, instead of having to figure out why the heck the pto all the sudden shut off.

·
Premium Member
14,701 Posts
My x758 does the same thing when the temps are over 80 degrees out, it will shut the pto down in as little as 15 minutes sometimes, and it has been in several times for it. They've changed the sensor and water pump. They also tried a different filter screen. I don't know if mine got fixed the last time they had it last fall, because by the time I got it back we didn't have any hot weather left when I needed to mow, so it will be late June or July when I can see if it's fixed or not. Not all of them have this problem since my coworker also has an x758 (purchased about the same time as mine) and his doesn't do it like mine does. But it is a safety feature to let you know to clean the radiator screen off. I wish they also had a warning light or something on the dash, instead of having to figure out why the heck the pto all the sudden shut off.
Daughters FIL just told me he is trading in his x585 11 yrs old for a new x738 .. Man I hope his doesn't do this when temps are over 80° may never get yard mowed.

The first summer his was in the garage about every other week for gas gauge not working correctly. He finally gave up , just fill the tractor before leaving the garage to mow. One minute shows 3/4 tank drive it on level for 15-25' may show empty or full. No rhyme or reason.

The driver told him the other day when they picked up the x585 , Deere was having way more trouble with new x7?? series than the older x4 and x5?? series. Guess time will tell.

·
Registered
81 Posts
X738 is gas and I have a diesel. My coworkers x758 hasn't had a problem, I think mine may be fixed with the new water pump, but won't know for a few more months.

·
Premium Member
14,701 Posts
X738 is gas and I have a diesel. My coworkers x758 hasn't had a problem, I think mine may be fixed with the new water pump, but won't know for a few more months.
Earlier someone mentioned about cleaning the filter in front of the radiator. Since the owner mowed with it for over 6 yrs , he learned to cleaned the screen on the x585 every mowing. I still do the same thing, and after 4-6 times of mowing will take garden hose and spray water through the radiator. If not after mowing till end of season the mower would start overheating didn't matter if outside temps were in the 70 or 90+°

·
Registered
81 Posts
I blow mine out and off after every use with my air compressor, so it isn't an issue of the radiator or screen being clogged. Also the dealer has agreed with me that mine has an out of the ordinary problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The last time it shut off we left it alone until dealer picked it up. When they picked it up I pulled the screen and showed him there was very little material on it as well as a very clean radiator. It has 5 hours on it. JD claims the intake will bring in the best quality air where it is located. With the amount of electronics today I can believe a bad sensor. The problem will then duplicating the problem at the shop. They will get their chance to fix it. I will keep you posted on findings/fixings. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update. Dealer called yesterday and said when tech called JD about problem they were told it was a common known problem with liquid cooled motors in the X700 series. The culprit was a wiring harness. It is on order and I should get it back within a few days. I will update if this is not the fix.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
If you are handy with a multimeter then with the benefit of a schematic and the knowledge of the sensor voltage resistance at various temperatures then you could test the sensor separately and if the value there is good then test where feed from it enters the ecu to verify the harness condition. I'm sorry I don't have these documents or values for you.

·
Premium Member
14,701 Posts
FYI. Harness did not fix problem so back to the dealer. Thoughts anyone?
Hate to hear ,problem not fixed. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talked to dealer today. They said grass that goes over the deck is getting sucked in to an opening for the radiator and is plugging radiator and causing overheating. JD now makes a kit for this and it is on order so we will see. I am concerned about coolant level when they took it back. There was only about an 1" in the degas bottle when they picked it up. It has between the min,max line until now. I will update as things progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Talked to dealer today. They said grass that goes over the deck is getting sucked in to an opening for the radiator and is plugging radiator and causing overheating. JD now makes a kit for this and it is on order so we will see. I am concerned about coolant level when they took it back. There was only about an 1" in the degas bottle when they picked it up. It has between the min,max line until now. I will update as things progress.
SandR,

For coolant loss, first make sure that all radiator hose clamps are tight. My tractor was losing fluid too and the bottom radiator hose was loose.

Secondly, if the hoses are tight, have a good look at you radiator for a crack. I heard of a few people having this problem with cracked radiators.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My X750 did the same thing last year in regards to the low coolant. I topped it off and has been good ever since. I just figured it toll a bit for air to get out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Odds are it was boiling out of the degas bottle when it would get hot. The way to tell is look at the top of you mower deck on the right side while on the tractor under the radiator since that is where the overflow tube goes to. Mine would get warm and burp some out of there every time I used it. Hopefully mine is fixed now after they had it in the shop the last time last fall and replaced the water pump. My coworker also has a x758 that he got almost a month before me and his has never had any problems with getting warm.

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts
The diesels have had a sensor to shut off the PTO when the engine temperature gets too hot for a long time. My 455 has this same feature and my tractor is over 20 years old. I can tell you from personal experience that there are a lot of places where these tractors need air flow to cool the radiator and when they begin to get covered even partially, the engine temperature will increase fairly rapidly.

The sensor to shut down the PTO when the engine gets too hot is a great safety device to protect the equipment. It's easy to get distracted when mowing and not pay close attention to the engine temperature gauge. The first few times this happened to me, it really had me concerned, but now I keep an eye on the temp gauge all of the time and I haven't had this shut down in a long time.

I would attribute your coolant levels being lower to the extreme operating temperatures which have occurred causing the PTO to be shut down. Chances are it simply caused the coolant to boil out of the overflow tube. Top off the coolant and keep and eye on it. It probably won't happen again as you will keep the tractor operating in the appropriate temp range.

Grass and debris accumulates all around the cowling on these X7** diesels as well as the older X595 and 455 models. It is trying to draw air in from virtually every direction around the cowl. Note that in the last couple of years, Deere has added vents to the top of the hood to assist in airflow which weren't there on the early series X7** and prior tractors. So obviously maximizing air flow continues to be a challenge for Deere on these machines.

I use the backpack leaf blower and remove the side panels on mine and the radiator screen and really clean it every time I am done using it. It's surprising the amount of debris which will accumulate at the base of the screen and also on the inside of the air intake vents. If you find you are using your tractor and you have inadvertently allowed the tractor to get very hot in engine temp due to the debris issue, use a leaf blower or compressed air and clean out as much as you can and then, with the tractor running, I will dump a gallon of water slowly right along the top of the removable debris screen with the hood open and the cooling fan will pull the water through the radiator. This really helps clean out the dust and crud which will make it through the screen and into the radiator cooling fins.

Be very careful using compressed air when cleaning out the radiator cooling fins as the high pressure air can actually bend the cooling fins shut on the radiator if you are not careful. The cooling fins are even fragile to rough touching so treat them like they are breakable.

I have found the best way to maintain good operating temperatures over time is to occasionally do the following;

A. Make sure all of the air intake sources are clean and free of all dirt and debris. (360 degrees around the cowl area)
B. Open the hood and remove the radiator protector screen.
C. With the engine running, gently rinse the front of the radiator, which is the side closest to the drivers seat since the radiators are installed backwards in these tractors.
D. Be very careful to NOT directly spray electronic control boxes, fuse panels, etc. While these are designed to get wet from time to time, it's best to not press your luck and hose them down directly.
E. This process really helps clean out the radiator fins of the dirt and debris which go right through the screen.

Just know that you are going to get wet from the spray as the cooling fan throws it everywhere. I have always "washed" the entire engine compartment while the engine is running, several times each year, because over time, all of the crud which sticks to the engine block and other surfaces make cooling the engine more difficult.

One more point to consider about the diesel engines. The air filter system has a multi layered filter system with an inner and outer filter. Items 11 and 12 shown in the following illustration are both filters. When these begin to get plugged, it will raise the engine operating temperature noticeably, not to mention result in more fuel usage. It is important to keep an eye on these filters and make sure they are clean. In dusty and dirty mowing conditions, it doesn't take long for these filters to pick up lots of dust and dirt.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Very good point on the air filters Sully. Combustion air flow is indeed critical for diesel engine cooling.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts