Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on MachineFinder.com at the x750 mowers and happened to see a photo of one with the hood open. I thought I saw the flywheel and enlarged the photo. My eyes did not deceive me, it was the flywheel. The engine is mounted backwards from the conventional method of a motorized vehicle. Does anybody know why and how does the thing move? What drives the transmission? Craziest thing that I have seen in quite a while. :dunno:

·
Administrator
20,284 Posts
The 455 is the same way. I know there are others as well. I believe the thinking was airflow direction over the radiator was supposed to keep the radiator cleaner and not blow the heat on the operator.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It is so you get more speed when backing up... :knownothing:

I guess you could say the gas versions are also mounted backwards. The starter is up front but you can't see the flywheel. It really doesn't matter much. The engine drives the big hydraulic pump. The put the radiator between the engine and operator station and it has a fan (belt driven) that sucks air from the operator station, through the radiator and into the engine bay. So compared to a traditional car/truck the air flow is also backwards. As mentioned above I suspect it helps with the heat but too bad you can't reverse the fan for winter months.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is normal with all of the John Deere hydrostatic tractors since at least the 80's. The engine is mounted backwards with the flywheel facing toward the back. A drive shaft is bolted to the front of the flywheel and runs back down the center of the tractor to power the transmission. Initially I suspect it had to do with the fact that it was better to have the previous electric PTO's mounted in the front of the engine bay. They'd be mounted on the crankshaft for better power transmission and easier service. Now I suspect it's probably for the cooling aspect as mentioned above, since nothing gets mounted on the crankshaft anymore and these newer diesel's pull a ton of air through the radiator, even at idle.

Rick

·
Registered
351 Posts
I own a Kubota G2000s and the engine is mounted the same way.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Marketing didn't like the look with the extra 1/2" of hood height in the front to accommodate a front mounted radiator.
They could have put a sweet hood scoop on it though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts