Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought m dream tractor used from an old retired farmer. The tractor is in pristine condition, no dings, dents or scratches. Tractor runs strong and the deck seems to cut the grass well.

The problem I encounter is that I get discharge lines of grass out of the discharge chute.

I cut the grass often, every 4-5 days, I love this tractor. I have adjusted my height settings from 2.5 to 3.5. I have levelled my deck and set the scalp wheel height.

I mow at 3/4 throttle so there is plenty of power. I never mow when the grass is wet.

I didn’t check the blades, could they be dull?

I have been considering the mulch kit for my deck. I have also been reading up on gator blades to see if they would help.

Have I missed something? For a premium tractor I expect more. Maybe I am expecting too much?

·
Registered
27,859 Posts
You need to mow at full throttle to get the best blade tip speed and discharge speed. There is no reason to run at 3/4 throttle.

Also looking at your pic you are picking up old thatch as you mow. Set you deck height a little higher.

Do those 2 things and the dream mower will mow like a dream!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I'm thinking 3 possibilities:
1. Blade speed too slow and cannot discharge clippings fast enough. Run FULL throttle.
2. Ground speed too fast and mower is making clippings faster than can be discharged. Slow down travel/ground speed.
3. Underside of deck is caked with debris slowing travel feed of clippings. SCRAPE, NOT power wash, underside of deck.

If you mow with any type of mulching blades, you'll have to slow ground speed even more. They'll do a great job and leave no visible clippings, but it does take longer to mow. Bob

Reactions: farmer52 and myrna

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm thinking 3 possibilities:
1. Blade speed too slow and cannot discharge clippings fast enough. Run FULL throttle.
2. Ground speed too fast and mower is making clippings faster than can be discharged. Slow down travel/ground speed.
3. Underside of deck is caked with debris slowing travel feed of clippings. SCRAPE, NOT power wash, underside of deck.

If you mow with any type of mulching blades, you'll have to slow ground speed even more. They'll do a great job and leave no visible clippings, but it does take longer to mow. Bob
4). Make sure blades are sharp and installed correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Full throttle is recommended for mowing. And to avoid the windrows strap your discharge chute up with a bungee.

Rob

Reactions: ridesdirt and trav

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
In addition to the suggestions above, in an area where it's safe to do so, try and prop the discharge chute up a bit so that the clippings can better disperse/fan out vs. having a chance to gather and clump.

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler Town & Country
161 Posts
I bought m dream tractor used from an old retired farmer. The tractor is in pristine condition, no dings, dents or scratches. Tractor runs strong and the deck seems to cut the grass well.

The problem I encounter is that I get discharge lines of grass out of the discharge chute.

I cut the grass often, every 4-5 days, I love this tractor. I have adjusted my height settings from 2.5 to 3.5. I have levelled my deck and set the scalp wheel height.

I mow at 3/4 throttle so there is plenty of power. I never mow when the grass is wet.

I didn’t check the blades, could they be dull?

I have been considering the mulch kit for my deck. I have also been reading up on gator blades to see if they would help.

Have I missed something? For a premium tractor I expect more. Maybe I am expecting too much?

View attachment 789272
Awesome mowing set up. Congrats. As said you need to run engine at full throttle when mowing and i bolted a peice of hockey stick handle to keep the deflector shoot up a little eh. LOL Kent from PEI

Reactions: jgbedford

·
Registered
532 Posts
Maybe the deck already has a mulch kit and it is clogged up. Or it might have a grass deflector installed under the discharge flap. Raise the deck and look under it with a mirror and flashlight. As mentioned above mow at full throttle for best discharge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I figured the diesel didn't need to run at WOT as it produced a lot of power - but I can see now that it is more to do with blade speed. Next time I mow, I will try throttling up.

I'm also going to try to bungee the discharge chute up to see if that helps.

I don't think I am going too fast, but will try slowing my speed if the problem persists.

Confirmed my deck doesn't have a mulch kit or mulch blades. It's not all blocked up with grass clipping residue - it's really pretty clean under there. I always mow when it's dry.

For a few hundred dollars, I may try the mulch kit for my deck. Is everyone happy with the upgraded Deere mulch blades, or is it recommended to upgrade to something like the Gator blades the forms all talk about?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Full throttle is recommended for mowing. And to avoid the windrows strap your discharge chute up with a bungee.

Rob
I agree with this, I can't think of a reason why doing both of these things wouldn't resolve your problem.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't think a mulch kit is a good idea, I mow with my 1025R at 2100 RPM blade speed, 3200 RPM engine speed and at the highest deck height setting available it throws the grass out so far it can't bunch up. End result looks really good. No mulch kit for me!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Before buying the mulch kit, get mulching blades first. Many thoughts on which one though! I use Predators on my 46 and happy with them. The 46 doesn't have a flap on the discharge opening, but a piece of sheet metal bolted to the deck works!
If you try the blades and are fairly happy with the results, then buy the kit. If your ecstatic with the results, use with just the blades! Bob

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I figured the diesel didn't need to run at WOT as it produced a lot of power - but I can see now that it is more to do with blade speed. Next time I mow, I will try throttling up.

I'm also going to try to bungee the discharge chute up to see if that helps.

I don't think I am going too fast, but will try slowing my speed if the problem persists.

Confirmed my deck doesn't have a mulch kit or mulch blades. It's not all blocked up with grass clipping residue - it's really pretty clean under there. I always mow when it's dry.

For a few hundred dollars, I may try the mulch kit for my deck. Is everyone happy with the upgraded Deere mulch blades, or is it recommended to upgrade to something like the Gator blades the forms all talk about?

Thanks!
Correct: power or not, the RPM is what really helps with mowing. And the chute raised will resolve your windrows. It just comes with the little extra care of making sure you're not discharging with something sensitive in range (person, vehicle, house, etc.) that might get damaged. That and the fact if you mow on a windy day expect to get covered in clippings. :) But it works.

I've never seen mulching blades/deck as something useful. Maybe it is because the lawns I've mowed have been more rugged than your typical suburban home's perfect lawn where you mow an inch at a time. I mow 7 acres and don't get to it more than weekly, so in the heart of growing season I'm cutting 3-4" off which makes a LOT of clippings. No way they would mulch into the grass nicely without discharging.

Rob

Reactions: ridesdirt and myrna
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.