Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on an X758 that has an autoconnect deck. When I got the tractor, the mower drive shaft was missing, and the auto-connect bearing housing was busted and dangling. I installed a new shaft, bearing, and bearing housing, and that all went well. However, when the lift arms are in the lowered position to mount the deck, the drive shaft maxes out on length, and the female coupler ends up pointing upwards, rather than being parallel to the ground as needed to align with the mower deck shaft. I'm new to this arrangement, but I'm pretty sure it cannot work like it is. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You replaced the shaft from the auto-connect coupler back to the trans PTO? Or something else?

As for the fit problem, is it possible the mounting brackets for the auto-connect coupler are bent? If the 'bearing housing' (which I assume is the coupler) was mangled maybe they ran into something while it was lowered and bent stuff. That's the likeliest answer I can think of.

Pics would be helpful

Rob

·
Registered
92 Posts
You probably got it assembled wrong. Have you got any manuals? I have one for installing the auto connect "M171211". I guess I could try to scan it for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You replaced the shaft from the auto-connect coupler back to the trans PTO? Or something else?

As for the fit problem, is it possible the mounting brackets for the auto-connect coupler are bent? If the 'bearing housing' (which I assume is the coupler) was mangled maybe they ran into something while it was lowered and bent stuff. That's the likeliest answer I can think of.

Pics would be helpful

Rob
Yes, I replaced the entire shaft from the mid PTO to to the coupler, including the auto connect coupler, the coupler bearing, and the bearing housing. The brackets appeared to be perfectly straight so I did not replace them.

AutoConnect.JPG

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts
Can you post a photo of the shaft, so we can maybe see what is taking place.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Also, when you mention that the "driveshaft maxes out on length" that sounds wrong. The driveshaft is a slip-fit and should still have spare 'slip' available at any cradle position. Are you positive it is the right driveshaft?

Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's see if these pics work, and if they show anything.

Yes, definitely maxxing out on length, and yes it definitely doesn't seem right.

I guess I can't be certain I got the correct shaft, but I went to Deere's online parts fiche for an X758, and ordered the part number it gave for the autoconnect shaft. When I got the tractor it had no shaft or bearing with it.

20180419_181102.jpg

20180419_181113.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts

Yes, definitely maxxing out on length, and yes it definitely doesn't seem right.

Here is a picture I found a few minutes ago. If no one can help you , I'm planning on going to Morgantown to mow with a x738. The deck at present time is off and will be installing . Would be glad to take photos to help if you are still having problems.

x738.jpg

Just a thought on the driveshaft there is a set screw,,, could the set screw be in to tight to keep the shaft from sliding in and out. :dunno::dunno:

For some reason when I installed the auto connect to my then 60" deck I had to loosen the set screw on the mower driveshaft for my 1026r

·
Registered
255 Posts
Looks like your adjustment bolt nuts are way back. All the ones I have have done have been only a few threads in to be good.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts

I guess I can't be certain I got the correct shaft, but I went to Deere's online parts fiche for an X758, and ordered the part number it gave for the autoconnect shaft. When I got the tractor it had no shaft or bearing with it.

View attachment 594946

View attachment 594954
Your adjustment bolt is way to long. The end of the bolt will hit the gear box & not allow the pto shaft to fully engage or the deck to connect to the arms.. There is only about 3/4" of bolt extending past the nut on my X739.
Is the head of the adjusting bolt resting on the stop? I cannot tell from your picture.

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts
Your adjustment bolt is way to long. The end of the bolt will hit the gear box & not allow the pto shaft to fully engage or the deck to connect to the arms.. There is only about 3/4" of bolt extending past the nut on my X739.
Is the head of the adjusting bolt resting on the stop? I cannot tell from your picture.
Agree about the adjustment bolt , ,but if the shaft won't slide out he won't be able to adjust the bolt. or at least my thought.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Agree about the adjustment bolt , ,but if the shaft won't slide out he won't be able to adjust the bolt. or at least my thought.
That is why I asked if the head of the adjusting bolt was against the stop. It looks like it is, but from the angle of the picture it is hard to tell. If it is against the stop, it can be adjusted more.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
In doing a quick psrts search on the X758, I found that there a 2 different par numbers for the pto shaft & the nower deck lift arms hitch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like your adjustment bolt nuts are way back. All the ones I have have done have been only a few threads in to be good.
Yeah I haven't even begun to set that yet. That was missing as well when I got the tractor and I just have it in there loosely at the moment. The shaft is maxing out on length long before the stop bolt comes close to making contact.

I'm certain now that the shaft is too short. I was able to compare it to an X739 with autoconnect, and this shaft is at least 1" shorter at max length than the X739 shaft in installed position. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My manual is not going to help you. Not very good pics but the main center part of shaft on mine is about 14" without the swivel part of joints on each end if that makes sense . Thats with the deck resting flat on floor, like it would be if you were hooking up to it. Not sure how much travel is left in it. Like someone else said it shows two different ones. When you look at specs they show extended length almost the same 19.460" vrs 19.500" I think one is just an older style. When you you look at the whole kits one replaces the other. Did you buy the complete shaft with quick coupler and coupler for deck side? Just throwing out a guess here but maybe you have parts from the two different style shaft assembly's if that makes sense. Edit: I looked back at your earlier post. You said you replaced complete shaft. Did that include the quick coupler on the transmission side?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Took my snowblower off the x758 this afternoon and lowered the mower cradle. Measured the driveshaft for you. From center of the U-joint pivot on each end it measures 14.5" extended and 10" collapsed all the way. When driveshaft is hooked up and cradle is lowered all the way it is somewhere around 13-13.5", so there is a good inch or more of 'slide' left.

Hope this helps you determine whether yours is correct or not.

Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts