Green Tractor Talk banner

x758 Bagger Options-Advice needed

18K views 45 replies 10 participants last post by  TJR345 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

So I have a pretty small lot, under 1 acre, and I just need either a bagger or collection system to collect primarily leaves (we get a ton in New England), thatch, and grass.

I have a rear PTO, and 3 point hitch (if that suggests anything else)

I was going to go with the Deere brand, 7 bushel (2 bag) Bagger, namely because I think in my tight lot the 3 bagger would be too cumbersome to maneuver and the lot size just aint big enough...just my thoughts

So options
1. Deere Bagger
2. MC542 Collection system which fits over the 17P cart I already have (can attach a vac hose to this to hand vac leaves)
3. MC519 cart and collection system

The ability to dump leaves with a lever from the comfort of your seat is a plus.... options 2 and 3 do that. 1 will do that but it needs another part.
Not sure if option 2 and 3 takes away from maneuverability.....lots so

Is everyone happy with the Deere Bagger compared to other makes??

See less See more
#2 ·
So I have a X585. Now this is back when the first X Series came out before the X7xx was a thing. Back then the X585 (gas, 4WD) and X595 (Diesel 4WD) is about equal to the X7xx machines now in that they are shaft drive implements and such. I think it was about mid 2000s when they came out with the X7xx and a new smaller X5xx.

I will touch on these in the reverse order because it is in the order I would prefer if it were me and the order in which I have the most experience.

Anyhow with that out of the way I have been running a very similar machine to yours in Minnesota since 2002. The collection system we have been using up until a little over a year ago was your Option 3. (MC519). We also have a 3pt hitch. Your system might be a little different but for us the 3pt arms have to come off and then the cart attaches to the back of the trailer. The cart is on casters and doesn't stick out that far. So the good is when you are going around trees you will never clip one with the cart. With 4wd and no 4 wheel steering it doesn't turn sharp enough to be an issue. If you had 4ws that may not be the case, I haven't driven one of those machines. For backing up it is a snap because it is hard mounted to the back of the tractor. The complaints I had with this system were that I had to get off the machine to dump. Well what do you do with your clippings/leaves? For us we are in more of a rural area with 2.5 acres. I have a large compost pile for them and make dirt out of them. So there is no way I would want to mess around with putting the leaves in a 2 or 3 bag hopper. More on this later. If there is anything else to complain about it is the PowerFlow head. It is nice not having yet another engine to maintain but they are not cheap and I have been through a couple of them. The problem is the housing is plastic on them and all the dirt and leaves going through will eventually wear out the housing. You can replace the housing but I want to say it is $200-250 and kind of a pain to do. Just be aware it is a bit of a consumable part. With me doing 2.5 acres and hitting some of the neighbor yards helping out I would say I go through a housing every 5-7 years. Not that often but just keep it in mind.

As for your option 2. The MC542 option, while I haven't used that exact one personally, growing up my father had a similar system (not John Deere Branded) on his JD 317. So I have years running the trailers with a pony engine. It is true that they have power to suck. You can disconnect it and pick up piles around shrubs but I use a backpack blower to push everything out in the yard anyhow. I find that quicker. It is another engine to maintain. I would check and see what the impeller and impeller housing is made out of. It might be better if steel but if plastic like the PowerFlow, you are not gaining much. It looks like the discharge chute going out the impeller and into the cart is pretty small. If you are set on this route, I would just say there are lots of aftermarket options. Go with something that has a 10"-12" hoses. They are less likely to clog. These are also a bit of a pain around trees if you have to back up to maneuver around. You still have to get off to dump but have more capacity so less trips to dump. If you are not doing a compost pile, like the option 3 above, it would be a pain to transfer from this to bags to haul away. Personally if I had to stick with John Deere I would go with Option 3. A draw back is as these carts get full they can get heavy. More so if the leaves are wet or you have a lot of longer grass which is wet. This is an issue when trying to dump the load. Again I would look at 3rd party ones over the John Deere. The biggest advantage is that there is little to wear if the impeller housing and impeller is steel. The engines may die but you can repower them for about $120 at Harbor Freight. My dad replaces the engines on his when they start to smoke. It isn't worth trying to fix them. A disadvantage is you have a diesel tractor so you are going to have to deal with gas for the pony engine and diesel on the tractor. Maybe it isn't a big deal but worth noting.

Finally Option 1. The bagger. Really the only reason I would go with one is if I had to bag the clippings/leaves to haul them somewhere or for pickup. There is no other good reason to go this route if you are composting like I am. You still have the same PowerFlow head issue with option 3. Also there is more fabric to the system and that will wear and tear so more maintenance. This is the reason I don't have a 1 series tractor. I was considering replacing my X585 a while back and I was going to buy a 1 series with FEL, blade, snow blower, drive over 60" deck and a collection system. The 3 position bagger which was the only option at the time killed the deal. There were some 3rd party collection systems but I wanted John Deere to roll it into the 0% financing. I couldn't live with the 3 bag collection system with the way I used it. This would have been a huge step backwards.

Once I gave up on the 1 series, I considered a new X Series but there isn't a FEL option anymore. So I thought of getting a new one and keeping the X585 for a dedicated FEL. Then I would run the option 3 on the new machine but the more I thought about it, I really didn't gain much. However I was looking at a X739 which is the gas, 4wd and 4ws so it would make less passes around trees. That is when I saw and ended up buying the Z950R with Dump From Seat MCS. Then I gained the performance of a commercial Zero Turn and while I lost capacity, I still ended up shaving quite a bit of time off picking up leaves just because the ground speed is so much faster making trips to dump and not having to get off the machine when dumping. I only mention this because I was in the dealer about a month ago and saw that they now have a dump from seat hopper which is a little bigger than the one on my Z950R that fits the 1 Series. I want to say it mounts to the 3pt hitch so maybe it will fit your machine. I don't know as I didn't ask if that fit the X Series. They just had it sitting on the showroom floor because they didn't have any 1 Series machines to mount it to. They had sold them all and were waiting on the shipment to come in. You kind of mentioned dump from seat and none of the options that you mentioned will give you that. I will agree that it is nice.

#4 ·
#3 ·
For your lot I would look at the 7 bushel dump from seat.

#5 ·
I'd recommend the 3 bag PF MCS. Then replace the bags with a dump from the seat kit. The 3 bag doesn't stick out enough to cause you trouble. It pretty much is as wide as the back of the tractor. I think the 2 bag would fill up to quickly in the fall. The downside is that the PF unit sticks out from the side of the deck. However any type of system would have some kind of collector attached to the deck.

A PTO powered unit that attached to the 3 point hitch would be the cat's pajamas. However not to many options are available. I'm sure it would also be pricey.

I have been making do with a 42" JD tow behind lawn sweeper for years now. It's not perfect but it beats raking. I usually start by cutting the grass and chopping up any leaf cover. Then drag the sweeper around to pick it up. So it takes longer than a MCS that does everything in one shot. The sweeper does have a rope to dump the basket without getting off the tractor. A sweeper would also be the cheapest option. Mine was around $450.

#7 ·
Those PTO powered machines are a nice option. I don't know that there is one in the John Deere catalog though. If someone I guess if I were buying a new machine with 0% financing it is a reason to go all John Deere for these attachments. Normally if all under the same invoice, it all qualifies. If this is a later on purchase, then in all honesty, one shouldn't limit themselves to just John Deere attachments as there are other options.

The biggest thing I would look for is something with big hoses. When you have those ribbed hoses going to the collection system, they catch sticks really easy if they are too small. Once that happens they plug up. Unless you like picking up ever tiny stick, go with a hose that is 10"+. That is my biggest concern with the photo of the MC542. My maple and ash trees drop too many sticks to pick them all up and the smooth square tube on the MC519 typically wasn't an issue. The 12" ribbed tube hasn't been an issue on the Z950R either. Though it is a pretty straight shot.

I would still say that we don't have quite enough information as to what would be best for the OP. Depending on what he has to do with the clippings and leaves is going to be the biggest factor on if a cart or DFS style system is better or a bagger.

#8 ·
The MC519 fills up incredibly fast when mowing with my x758, either grass clippings or leaves. I can get maybe 250-350 linear yards before it is full. If you get a 7 bu unit you'll be dumping every minute or two. And that takes up a lot of time driving to your leaf pile, dumping, and driving back to the lawn.

Last year was my first year with my setup, though I've used a MC519 behind my dad's 345 in the past. While bagging leaves off my yard once or twice I dumped the thing somewhere between 25-30 times. From the seat, because that's how I'm used to doing it. That's not good for your back, let me tell you... So I just added a hydraulic dump to my MC519. Looking forward to things being a LOT easier this season!

Rob

#9 ·
For maneuvering in tight spaces nothing is smaller than the bagger. Everything else is going to occupy some real estate out back.
However I think that the 2 bag would just be to small. Just my option from shopping them for my X540.
My daughter's place is about an acre with a fair amount of trees. I think the 3 bag would handle it okay. Just have to keep after it. Don't be like a former coworker. He waited till everything fell then wanted to borrow my sweeper to clean it up. Plus he was trying to tow it with a POS mower. After 10-15' the sweeper was full and stopped the mower in its tracks. He also had a 2 bag bagger. Couldn't even make one loop before it was full. Also a PITA to empty. Even dump from the seat would have been a big improvement.

#10 ·
I agree but if you have 2 wheel steering, assuming the turning radius is the same on a X758 as my X585, I couldn't clip a tree with the MC519 if I tried. Now I have to really watch that though as with the Zero turn I have clipped more than a couple trees with the hopper.

I also agree that there is no way I would do a 2 bag system. I could do a 3 if I was taking clippings somewhere off site and it was a smaller yard. No way I am messing with that and my yard with my trees that drop a ton of leaves. It is that fact that the baggers are a PITA to dump as you mentioned. As far as timing that is a good point. There is a certain amount of trade off. With my X585 I would normally wait until there are more leaves down and they are dry. This way they get ground up into powder and you can haul more. The trade off being that may mean more leaves on the ground so it is a wash. The ZTrak with high lift blades does a better job of shredding even wet leaves so I get good compaction in the hopper anytime. I tend to pick up more often if my schedule permits. The other good/bad thing out of my control is that most of our leaves are from a mix of Ash and Maple Trees. The Ash trees shed their leaves in late Sept to early Oct. The Maples hold out for late Oct into November. Meaning if we get dumped on early the Maple leaves have been known to sit until spring. I really wish they would all come down at once so I can just pick everything up, and put it away for the winter.

Reactions: H-D dealer dude
#11 ·
So...I can't seem to find anywhere that gives the total width of the x758 with the attached powerflo/chute/7bushel bagger. The problem is I have to be able to get thru a gate that is 64" wide!!

Anyone got the numbers?
Or is there an option to use the PTO and avoid the extra width? ie a rear discharge and powered off the rear PTO ?????

#12 · (Edited)
OUCH! You should have mentioned that earlier. I was thinking about cutting around trees and such. Not having to thread a needle. That's probably going to be a problem. Depends on what size deck you have. Seeing you never mentioned that.
With Power Flow and deck
48" = it should
54" = it's going to be close
60" = not a chance in hell!

Sorry I don't have exact measurements. This was the original reason I bought the 42" lawn sweeper. A non Power Flow bagger for my old L108 with a 42" deck wouldn't fit through my shed door.

I'm thinking that a Cyclone Rake or a MCS542 may fit better because of the smaller deck boot vs the Power Flow.

#14 ·
I have a 14bu triple bagger on my x758 and have only racked up 4 hours on my new setup. The bagger can definitely hold a ton of clippings. Enough so that it does get heavy to empty each one when the grass is healthy and green. I wouldn't trade it for the smaller bagger though since I'd be emptying it sooner. I did't opt for the dump setup as I don't have a place to dump it without a short walk.

#15 ·
Can you do me a huge favor and measure the total width of your x758 with the powerflo added on the side?
As that is what nobody can tell me and you have the exact same set up I have, ie x758 with 54" HC deck
Problem is I have a set width allowance/gate I can fit through

#18 ·
The question I haven't seen answered is what do you have to do with your clippings/leaves?

Are you dumping them on-site or have to bag them for city pickup/self delivery to a local yard waste dump?

That will largely determine what your best option is as far as does it go into a bag system, cart or trailer.

As far as the gate. Again what are you doing with the clippings. We don't know what your layout is. I agree that you likely won't fit through the gate with the PowerFlow head. Do you need to pass through the gate once, you do all your yard work and then pass through it putting away the machine. If that is the case, I wouldn't worry too much about not fitting through the gate. If the PowerFlow head is the same as the one on my X585 which the design doesn't appear to have changed much. It is really easy to remove it to get through the gate. You pull the chute going to whatever collection method you are using, flip the belt tensioner to the unlocked position, slip the belt off the stacked pulley on the right spindle, swing it out and lift it off the deck. There are no tools needed and the PowerFlow ins't very heavy. Maybe 20 lbs again assuming the process hasn't changed. On the ZTrak it is bolted in place with a carriage bolt but the nut doesn't require tools to remove and there is a lynch pin on the front support. I don't know that they mount it this way on the consumer version of the PowerFlow because it is so much lighter (almost all plastic) compared to the commercial version (almost all steel) which is too heavy to be held in place by belt tension alone. Would I want to remove the PowerFlow head each time on the way to dump as I pass through a gate, no. But if it is just at the beginning or end of the job it isn't that big of a deal. With the MC519 cart you can take the chute and PowerFlow off and toss them in the cart when done. That is where I store mine.

Do you have a rear PTO? I know you mentioned having the 3pt hitch but on the X7xx the 3Pt and Rear PTO are separate options and not cheap. I have never had a need for a rear PTO so I never added the kit to my X585. There are Rear PTO driven collection systems. I did look at them when shopping initially for a 1 Series but because I couldn't bundle them with the machine (they were not John Deere Products) I opted to pass on that option and ultimately the 1 Series entirely. Here is an example of a PTO version. Lawn Vacuum & Dump Cather for Utility Tractors | PV18 PTO | Protero Inc. I really have only seen images of them mounted to 1 Series and up machines but I don't see why they couldn't fit a X758. It just connects via 3PT hitch and PTO. The impeller still hangs off the right side and may cause issues passing through a narrow gate.

#19 ·
If the PowerFlow head is the same as the one on my X585 which the design doesn't appear to have changed much. It is really easy to remove it to get through the gate. You pull the chute going to whatever collection method you are using, flip the belt tensioner to the unlocked position, slip the belt off the stacked pulley on the right spindle, swing it out and lift it off the deck. There are no tools needed and the PowerFlow ins't very heavy. Maybe 20 lbs again assuming the process hasn't changed.
One added step on the drive over decks. You have to remove two wing nuts on the ramp that goes over the pulley and then flip the ramp up to gain access to the pulley. Not a big deal, maybe adds one minute to the process. So overall maybe 2-3 minutes to remove the powerflow and chute.

#23 ·
#26 ·
Personally, I'd be leery of the engine powered units. Growing up I mowed a couple of acres with lots of virgin growth oaks on the property, lots of leaves to clean up come fall time. We always used Track-vacs on the property. The first one I think was a 480. It was fine behind the original STX38 with a 38 inch deck. However, when the 445 with a 54 inch deck came along the output from the discharge chute could overwhelm the hose. More importantly the engines really only lasted a couple of years and that was with really good service schedule. Eventually we moved up to the 1080 model vacuum that has a 10 horse power belt driven system on it. Though the 445 is long gone and a landscaper now cares for their property I kept the vacuum. It's way too large for my one acre, but am also planning on moving. Thankfully, the 1080 is still on its original engine, the 5 horsepower models just didn't last under heavy use.

#29 ·
So.....

Decision made today!
I went with the 2 bagger, because all other options were just too bulky or would look ridiculous on my 1/2 acre lot. I basically have a ton of trees, I pretty much mulch all year, so bagging may only come about in spring and particularly fall, but not something id use otherwise, so if I need to disconnect/reconnect the powerflo from the boot to get through the gate to the front of the house then so be it! Beats the crap out of wrestling with 3 feet deep of leaves from my yard and every other dead beat neighbor that doesnt take care of their lawns and the stuff blows in off the road!

I also bought it from a new dealer. If you read my other 'lawn stripe' post you will see the issues I had there. I tried them this week, this time another salesman, and I wasnt getting any replies to emails or calls, so I said to hell with it, move on to somewhere that wants the business!!!

Anyways thats my rant for now!
And the 2 bagger is so I can lift it on/off and store it, as that is also very important, if its too heavy like another poster said then I just wont use it!

Weekend project!
Cut the lawn
Dethatch
Aerate
Top dress
Add new seed

My lawn feels like it took another beating this year with lumps and bumps despite best efforts.......wondering if I should roll it in spring when soft enough and after all the frost heaving......the debate is out on that

#30 ·
Did you get the 15% off the bagger that Deere is offering.
Yes I would roll in the spring,I do mine every year and aerate.

#31 ·
[/QUOTE]

Yes I would roll in the spring,I do mine every year and aerate.[/QUOTE]

I did get the discount thanks
Is there much time in installing? The store says they can do it $260

Do you find the rolling helps prevent what are hard bumps and hollows which become apparent later in summer

Reactions: TJR345
#32 ·
Yes I would roll in the spring,I do mine every year and aerate.[/QUOTE]

I did get the discount thanks
Is there much time in installing? The store says they can do it $260

Do you find the rolling helps prevent what are hard bumps and hollows which become apparent later in summer[/QUOTE]

There isn't much to it,mostly bolting together.You change the pulley on the deck,bolt on a front bracket,there maybe one under the deck.The hopper frame would bolt together and you model would have the click and go brackets that bolt on the back.The hardest part is the deck pulley,being new it should come off easy.If you have the tools and are handy you can save yourself a few bucks.
I have clay soil and if I don't roll it'll beat the crap out of me.

#33 ·
I had mentioned taking off the PoweFlow head before. Once you have done it a few times it is pretty quick. On my X585 I can take it off or put it on in about a minute. 2 if I take my time. Someone else mentioned that if you have a Drive Over Deck (I don't so I didn't think about this) that you have to take the ramp off that goes over the right spindle. That makes sense. You kind of indicated that you are probably only going to use it in the spring and fall. That is what I do. I would just leave the ramp over the right spindle off when it is the time of year where you are using the MCS. I think they said it was a couple butterfly nuts to take it off. If you want to keep putting the ramp back on, it will add another minute or so according to that person.

As for installation. It is is up to you and how handy you are. I hate to make assumptions on this stuff because some people are lucky if they can find a screwdriver around the house but don't ask them what kind of screwdriver it is. All the way to people that build race cars or do car restoration in their shop in their spare time. The system should come with an installation manual. So you can step through that. The hardest part I would image is adding the pulley to the top of the right spindle. I have never done this so I can't say for sure but you might have to pull that pulley to bolt them together. My X585 had the system installed before it was picked up since it was all bought new at the same time. With my Z950R the MCS was already on it and was a dealer demo. So again the dealer installed it. I did look at the instructions once a long time ago on that one. It involved some dremel work to cut the discharge chute and bolting up them mounting brackets for the PowerFlow to the deck. That is a completely different deck and system though than yours so I don't know that you will need to cut anything. If you look around you might find the manual on the internet though. I didn't find the exact one for my mower but I found the one for the older Z920. From what I remember the manuals were virtually the same. I only was looking because like you, I didn't know if I was going to buy it later and might install it myself or if I would just get everything at once and have them do it.

#34 ·
or installation. It is is up to you and how handy you are. I hate to make assumptions on this stuff because some people are lucky if they can find a screwdriver around the house but don't ask them what kind of screwdriver it is. All the way to people that build race cars or do car restoration in their shop in their spare time. The system should come with an installation manual. So you can step through that. The hardest part I would image is I would image is adding the pulley to the top of the right spindle. I have never done this so I can't say for sure but you might have to pull that pulley to bolt them together. My X585 had the system installed before it was picked up since it was all bought new at the same time. With my Z950R the MCS was already on it and was a dealer demo. So again the dealer installed it.them together. My X585 had the system installed before it was picked up since it was all bought new at the same time. With my Z950R the MCS was already on it and was a dealer demo. So again the dealer installed it. I did look at the instructions once a long time ago on that one. It involved some dremel work to cut the discharge chute and bolting up them mounting brackets for the PowerFlow to the deck. That is a completely different deck and system though than yours so I don't know that you will need to cut anything. If you look around you might find the manual on the internet though. I didn't find the exact one for my mower but I found the one for the older Z920. From what I remember the manuals were virtually the same. I only was looking because like you, I didn't know if I was going to buy it later and might install it myself or if I would just get everything at once and have them do it.[/QUOTE]

You no longer need to pull the pulley the new model just bolts to the old pulley with 4 bolts .

#36 ·
You should bust your dealers stones and tell them to to deliver the tractor with the bagger and power flow installed and ready to go. You just paid a nice chunk of change, they can prep that bad boy for free. I've got more than enough tools to do it myself but for the sticker price they can pay a JD tech to bolt it together the first time.

One dealer quoting me wanted to charge me $100. Dealer I bought from which was closer and cheaper didn't charge a prep or delivery free as it was included.

It takes 5min tops to remove the power flow and bagger.

#38 ·
Does the Bagger work ok with mulch on demand blades if I fully open the chute to the powerflo or do I need to reinstall the old blades or do I need to get 'high lift' blades

I am a bit pssd if so because the dealer never even mentioned that at all but my friend thought you can't have mulch blades with the Bagger

Thoughts

#39 ·
#41 · (Edited)
Over the years I have looked at and pondered just about every option. Love the Protero, but too expensive and too bulky for my yard. Love the hold JD hydraulic dumpers but also too big. I came to the conclusion that the new JD 3 bagger is the best choice if buying new. It's fits about as close as can be. No other will fit as tightly to the tractor footprint. And the chute attachment is perfectly matchted.

I've been using a $50 craftsman that I put on a carry-all for about 20 years now. I'd love to have a new fancy collector, but can't bring myself to spend while the craftsman keeps running.
I disagree with the poster that claimed that the external gas powered units fail or clog up too readily. My craftsman only has a 3.5 hp motor and it easily keeps up with the chute output on my X739 54HC. I did finally have to replace the motor 3 years ago because the oil cap came off and I didn't notice and ran it dry, seizing the engine. When it dies, I'll probably spring for the 3 bagger.

As for fitting through your gate: widen the gate.

Attachments

#42 · (Edited)
I have an as new three bag John Deere with as new power Flow all parts and manuals . Used it last fall about 8 hours cleaning up leaves . I have a x-758 it will mount on and it does a great job . But I am going to sell it this fall it just does not work for me . It is clean as new and I am asking $850.00 and so far all low ballers About ready to just dump it and give up trying to sell .

#44 ·
I live in North Central Indiana and not going to even try shipping it . Yes the market is not as big for x series stuff .
Maybe money is still tight not sure but I have had a lot of interest but no buyers . Kind of funny people call but have the wrong deck (my deck is 60 inch HC) and most have 54 inch .

#46 ·
So did you get the bagger yet,and do you have any pics.:munch:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.