Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I recently purchased an x758 garden tractor and was wondering if my 54 HC deck will mow down our sagebrush, weeds and dry wheat (from the farm next to us)? I plan on tilling and plowing so we can plant but I'm hoping by mowing it down first will make the job easier. Anyone try this or had any personal knowledge of the x758's capabilities? Thank you,

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
That thing should cut just about anything with no problems.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Its the same as my lawn tractor except for the 4 wheel drive. It will cut very thick and tall grass, even if its a few feet high without too much problem. Also they are made to operate a tiller, but you will need the 3 point hitch and rear PTO options, both of which I installed on mine myself. It will till very nicely. If you're talking about an earth plow then I would not know but am skeptical it could do it without damaging the hydro transmission unless the plowshare was not that big or if the soil was loose. Plowing earth is a tough application for a small tractor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with the previous posts. I've cut thru some very heavy growth - weeds, grass etc and my x700 hardly noticed. I have a Heavy Hitch Middle Buster/ Scarifier that my tractor will pull through the soil with ease at a depth of 8 inches or so but my soil is fairly sandy.

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Just keep an eye on your temperature gauge as water cooled X7xx's can get toasty fairly quick when mowing dry stuff as it accumulates on the radiator intake screens. Don't forget the removable one between the radiator and oil cooler.

The rear mounted radiator is my only gripe with mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup, should be OK

I mow what we call the "natural area" on our property once a year. I do it in spring when the grasses, wildflowers and small shrubs are dry. The grass gets to 24-30 inches tall in the fall before it dies and drys for winter, and then the snow usually mats it down. It is about an acre in size. My X710 goes thru it at about 5 inches like it was just part of the perfectly manicured front lawn. Never had a problem with overheating, but I do pick a cool day in late March or early April (Wisconsin). I rarely have mowed anything that tall when it was green, but know have done so and do not recall a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all of your responses! Very helpful and exactly what I was hoping to hear! Has anyone found the best and most affordable places to buy attachments from? I found a few places online but they all vary in price some even more expensive than the JD manufacturer!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Thank you for all of your responses! Very helpful and exactly what I was hoping to hear! Has anyone found the best and most affordable places to buy attachments from? I found a few places online but they all vary in price some even more expensive than the JD manufacturer!
Peeps assume that the "stealership" is always going to be the most expensive option. This could not be further from the truth. Plus you know exactly who to see/go to when you have a problem. If you bought the ___ from my store I'm more inclined to help you if and when you have a problem.

Because of all the internet cut throat pricing MAP (minimum advertised pricing) policy's/laws have been instituted by most manufactures.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Peeps assume that the "stealership" is always going to be the most expensive option. This could not be further from the truth. Plus you know exactly who to see/go to when you have a problem. If you bought the ___ from my store I'm more inclined to help you if and when you have a problem.

Because of all the internet cut throat pricing MAP (minimum advertised pricing) policy's/laws have been instituted by most manufactures.
For me it comes down to parts.Buying an off brand at a TS for example, then they don't carry it after a few because they went with another brand or worse yet they stopped making that model and no parts available period.And yes they can pull a plow 10" or 12" is good.I plow a lot of clay and in sandy soil I could pull a 2 bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
For me it comes down to parts.Buying an off brand at a TS for example, then they don't carry it after a few because they went with another brand or worse yet they stopped making that model and no parts available period.And yes they can pull a plow 10" or 12" is good.I plow a lot of clay and in sandy soil I could pull a 2 bottom.
I like your way of thinking & your tractor. Lol
That's another good reason to buy from a reputable dealer. I must admit JD makes repair parts available for longer periods than any of the other manufacturer I worked with.

For example look at all the cheep scooters, mini bikes, etc. that come from TiChiKo. You buy one because its cheep and all is well until Jr. breaks something. Then good luck finding repair parts let alone someone to work on it.
This is the reason a similar Honda or Yamaha mini bike is 3 times the price. It's been said before, you usually get what you pay for.

I almost peed myself when I first read about TiChiKo in a power sports trade magazine. Apparently it is an industry term to describe the low quality products that come from either Tiwan, China or Korea.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wow that's awesome. It looks like my little tractor could plow a lot better than I thought it could.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Different parts of the country have plow days.There are 2 in the spring and one in the fall near me.Here is a popular one in PA.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQxj_q5DTQ and near me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9kcaawgSQs
How come they always put the slow guys in front of the line? LOL

Had one of those blue & white Sears Suburban tractors like in the first video. Think it was a 1968 12 hp model. It was a "barn find" (actually a shed) at the trailer park I used to manage. It even had a manual Johnny Bucket Jr style scoop on the front. It looked factory from what I could tell.
The tractor had been sitting for years and needed more TLC than I had time for working 2 jobs so I sold it on eBay.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Grew up in Northern PA with one of those blue Sears tractors, it was a 12 horse. We had a mower, plow, disc, trailer, and snowblower for it. Was an amazing little machine. It had 3 gears and high and low range. Made my right arm strong as a kid putting the plow and disc up and down. We would always have the farm next door dump a load on manure on the garden before plowing. As soon as it dried out enough we would roll it under with the plow.

Most memorable moment was the 72 Agnes flood. It was fairly new then and dad ran it up on the front porch using some planks so it would stay out of the water ( garage and basement flooded so it was a good call). Getting down the brakes would hold it and he had one xxx of a ride down the planks and the hill off the front porch. Luckily it stayed up right and was not hurt.

Many fond memories

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Unfortunately I lost all the pictures of it with my old phone. The bucket & rear hitch plate were cherry like it was never used for anything more than cutting grass. All 4 tires were dry rotted and would not hold air even with tubes. The only other thing missing was the center medallion on the steering wheel. The white seat also seen better days. LOL

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
How come they always put the slow guys in front of the line? LOL

Had one of those blue & white Sears Suburban tractors like in the first video. Think it was a 1968 12 hp model. It was a "barn find" (actually a shed) at the trailer park I used to manage. It even had a manual Johnny Bucket Jr style scoop on the front. It looked factory from what I could tell.
The tractor had been sitting for years and needed more TLC than I had time for working 2 jobs so I sold it on eBay.
Only reason the slow guy is in front is we keep catching up to him.

This does look like fun. Several weeks ago I saw a group of folks with GTs plowing a field on M89 west of Richland Michigan and wondered what was up with that.
It's a lot of fun and you get to see a lot of different tractors with plows.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Only reason the slow guy is in front is we keep catching up to him.

That's the joke. LOL

It's a lot of fun and you get to see a lot of different tractors with plows.
Yeah back then companies like Sears actually made a real garden tractors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts