Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid me, before I knew what I was doing I poured about a quart-plus of regular gas in the almost empty tank. Dealer advised to drain tank but said probably wouldn't do any significant damage. So I went ahead an filled up the tank with diesel including the JD C-tain additive. But still wondering if anyone has done this and if their is anything to worry about. I can still have the tank drained if advisable but its a mess doing it and if the risk of damage is next to zero I'll just run the tank till 1/2 empty and then refill. Any one have any comments besides the fact that I'm a dummy??

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If I were in the same situation, I would drain all fuel out of the tank, fill 1/4 full with diesel, then remove the feed line coming out of the tank. Get the in-tank pump to pump fuel out of the tank until you get diesel coming out of the line. Shut the pump off, reconnect everything, add a good lubricity additive (double dose) and motor on. Remember, diesel acts as lubrication for the pumps. Reduced lubricity from gas mixed in could shorten the life of your pump.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Define "quart plus". I might not worry about a quart in 6 gallons but much more and id $h!can the whole tank. For $20 its not worth it to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, quart plus is the best estimate of how much gas I dumped in before I realized what I was doing. Could be more though. I think what I'll do is get a transfer pump and suck the tank as dry as possible and then refill with fresh diesel and the JD additive. At least that way I won't be worrying about damaging anything, the cost of the fuel is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well, quart plus is the best estimate of how much gas I dumped in before I realized what I was doing. Could be more though. I think what I'll do is get a transfer pump and suck the tank as dry as possible and then refill with fresh diesel and the JD additive. At least that way I won't be worrying about damaging anything, the cost of the fuel is not an issue.
Excellent plan :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I would drain it.

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I topped off my front axle with JD premixed coolant one time. Thought I grabbed the HyGard, but I didn’t. Probably didn’t put in enough to make a difference but I immediately drained it and refilled with fresh oil. Piece of mind goes a long ways. If you think you are going to worry about it, change it and sleep well.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Stupid me, before I knew what I was doing I poured about a quart-plus of regular gas in the almost empty tank. Dealer advised to drain tank but said probably wouldn't do any significant damage. So I went ahead an filled up the tank with diesel including the JD C-tain additive. But still wondering if anyone has done this and if their is anything to worry about. I can still have the tank drained if advisable but its a mess doing it and if the risk of damage is next to zero I'll just run the tank till 1/2 empty and then refill. Any one have any comments besides the fact that I'm a dummy??
Welcome to the Bonehead Club :thumbup1gif: :lol:

Its Standing Rom Only in here, we're gonna need a bigger clubhouse! :cheers:

I'd siphon / drain tank whichever is easier and then refill with Diesel and additive and motor on! :greentractorride:

·
Registered
21,499 Posts
What are you using for diesel jugs? There is a reason they are different colors - red for gas, yellow for diesel, and blue for kerosene.

Around here they will not put diesel in a red can when you get them filled.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Diesel jugs are red because they are 30 years old and I fill them myself but the color of the jugs won't help a dummy like me as my gas jugs are red as well and that's what I grabbed to fill the tank, completely without thinking. I was in the 71 year old zone!! Still considering what to do as about 50% split on "run it" vs. "drain it". I'm going to run by the JD dealer and talk to the service manager one more time and then decide. Pumping out the tank is simple and I have a garage to take the diesel to, the garage manager said he is going to dump it in his truck as he doesn't think its likely to do any damage. Will probable pump it out as its easy to do but just for the record this isn't the first time I've done something stupid like this. Several years back I poured 90 wt gear oil in the hydraulic system of a friends tractor, didn't notice it until the rear lift wouldn't work anymore and had to drain that out as well. Being dumb is a regular occurance with me. But thanks to all for your comments. It's really great to have the site as a resource.

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts
I would just siphon out what you can, the best you are able. Then fill with diesel and additive. I would also be running additive all the time anyway.

It's probably time for a new yellow diesel can. Are your 30 year old ones the galvanized metal ones? If so, I'd stop using them. I had an instance once where my neighbor gave me some diesel as payback for snowblowing his driveway. It was payback alright, the inside of that old galvanized can he gave me was breaking down. I ended up having to change my inline fuel filter in no time because of all the crud that was in that can.:banghead:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The jugs are red plastic and in good shape. I've decided to syphon out all that I can then refill with fresh fuel and conditioner. In order to hopefully Not repeat this event I've purchased a rather large sticker which says "Diesel fuel Only" and will stick in on the body next to the fuel tank lid, which of course already says Diesel on it!

·
Registered
21,499 Posts
The jugs are red plastic and in good shape. I've decided to syphon out all that I can then refill with fresh fuel and conditioner. In order to hopefully Not repeat this event I've purchased a rather large sticker which says "Diesel fuel Only" and will stick in on the body next to the fuel tank lid, which of course already says Diesel on it!
But then how do you know you are pouring diesel in if it is in a red jug if you keep gasoline in red jugs also?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I would drain it, throw in a gallon of diesel and then let it drain again. Refill with diesel, toss in the additive and you're good.

I would also trash the red cans and get the proper yellow ones which might pop out a little more to you. Hell you could go one step farther and get the and get a different diesel gas cap for the x758. I threw that aftermarket red one out there. I have never owned a diesel before and was concerned about and oops.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Valid points by all. My set up is like this; I keep my Diesel fuel in three red plastic round style 5 gal jugs, stored in three separate metal trash cans with tight fitting lids on one side of my storage shop. I keep regular gas in three red plastic square style 5 gal jugs, stored in a fuel cabinet on the other side of my shop. All the containers are permanently marked either diesel or gas. The color of the containers is irrelevant to me, the problem is being in an obtuse state of mind when selecting the fuel. The containers are clearly marked, its more a matter of paying attention to what I'm doing at the time. My previous mower was gas, so this past incident is one of being in a mental fog, on auto pilot; taking off the clearly marked Diesel fuel cap and just not paying attention while I grab the clearly marked gas can and start to pour it in and discovering the error after dumping in a quart or so of gas in the diesel clearly marked tank. There is no substitute for paying attention to what one is doing which I clearly was not. I will in the future for sure but the problem lies with the operator not the color of the containers but no doubt it would be a good move to change to yellow if I can find containers that will fit in my three metal garbage cans. I have also obtained a 3X5 sticker "Diesel fuel only" which I will attach adjacent to the fuel cap on the X758, which by the way is one hell of a fine machine!! So a word to the wise for all is to pay attention to what you're doing around machinery.
I appreciate all the comments and am thankful there are so many guys out there that participate in the John Deere experience.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Used my GasTapper to syphon a full 5 gallons out of the tank and replaced with fresh Diesel, affixed the "Diesel Fuel Only" sticker, so now no worries and hope not to make the mistake again. Thanks again to all for the advice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another question regarding Diesel fuel; Does anyone know if Diesel reacts with white PVC water piping? I was able to make up a perfect funnel with a 2 inch nose that fits perfectly into the X758 gas tank but don't want to use it until I know that PVC won't dissolve while I pour the fuel in??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts