Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a new X758 based on great feedback from another thread I started earlier this month. Rather than add to that thread with a new question I wanted to start fresh here:

What are the best drawbar brands/options for the purpose of pulling trailers via a 3PH? I have seen Heavy Hitch pop up several times in different places on GTT.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Just to verify... your X758 has a 3PH and you want to use it to pull a trailer?

If so... there are numerous trailer adapters available. Just go a Google search and you will come up with dozens. They are all very similar. I have one myself that I got from Ebay that I use with my 2720.

But... I would tend to discourage you from using the 3PH to tow a trailer as the 3PH doesn't have any down force. If for any reason you encounter a negative tongue weight the 3PH will raise right up and could put you and your cargo in a dangerous situation.

One solution is to use a trailer adapter to which you can add suitcase weights. Heavy Hitch makes a few. But the weights can get expensive and you have to always ensure you have enough weight to counter the force of the negative tongue weight.

I would recommend that you simply use the built-in drawbar on the tractor frame. You can get bolt on adapters to add a 2" receiver hitch which gives a lot of versatility on how you can use the hitch.

·
Registered
145 Posts

If so... there are numerous trailer adapters available. Just go a Google search and you will come up with dozens. They are all very similar. I have one myself that I got from Ebay that I use with my 2720.

But... I would tend to discourage you from using the 3PH to tow a trailer as the 3PH doesn't have any down force. If for any reason you encounter a negative tongue weight the 3PH will raise right up and could put you and your cargo in a dangerous situation.

One solution is to use a trailer adapter to which you can add suitcase weights. Heavy Hitch makes a few. But the weights can get expensive and you have to always ensure you have enough weight to counter the force of the negative tongue weight.

I would recommend that you simply use the built-in drawbar on the tractor frame. You can get bolt on adapters to add a 2" receiver hitch which gives a lot of versatility on how you can use the hitch.
So are you saying the drawbar has down pressure? I don't understand your logic.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
So are you saying the drawbar has down pressure? I don't understand your logic.
Not exactly. :) The drawbar is FIXED to the X758 frame (see below). So lifting it up would require lifting the entire back of the tractor. Downward force just pushes harder on the rear of the tractor.

But the 3PH is different. While you RAISE the 3PH with hydraulics, the only thing holding it DOWN is gravity. That is, unless the 3PH on the X700-series is different than 99% of the rest of the tractors out there.

Attachments

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes, 3PH on x758. For pulling small center console boat (that will have positive tongue weight). The attach point on tractor frame is too low, without adding a funky hitch and after market receiver sleeve. I want to be able to back up to the trailer, raise the ball up into the trailer, lock the tounge latch and drive off. Will even use for little 5x8 utility trailer loaded with common sense (I.e. positive tongue weight).

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yes, 3PH on x758. For pulling small center console boat (that will have positive tongue weight). The attach point on tractor frame is too low, without adding a funky hitch and after market receiver sleeve. I want to be able to back up to the trailer, raise the ball up into the trailer, lock the tounge latch and drive off. Will even use for little 5x8 utility trailer loaded with common sense (I.e. positive tongue weight).
Will you be launching the boat while the trailer is attached to the tractor? If so that will often have negative tongue weight. We made a trailer hitch attachment for my family’s x7?? But we connected it to the optional front plow lift system. Works well but on a ramp it does easily go negative. We typically launch a double jet-ski trailer with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

Reactions: KDNitz

·
Registered
152 Posts
I move and pull trailers around all the time and always conscious of tongue weight. Never far or on significant grades. I found that the conventional HH designed hitches have the receiver sleeve too low to pick up a trailer tongue that is resting on a tongue jack. So I built a different hitch with an upper sleeve. Or I just stick a ball mount on the loader.

Attachments

Reactions: keane and KDNitz

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
I move and pull trailers around all the time and always conscious of tongue weight. Never far or on significant grades. I found that the conventional HH designed hitches have the receiver sleeve too low to pick up a trailer tongue that is resting on a tongue jack. So I built a different hitch with an upper sleeve. Or I just stick a ball mount on the loader.
Hardly any hitches are the exact height of a trailer. That's what these hitch adapters are for. Use them to raise or lower the hitch point.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will you be launching the boat while the trailer is attached to the tractor? If so that will often have negative tongue weight. We made a trailer hitch attachment for my family’s x7?? But we connected it to the optional front plow lift system. Works well but on a ramp it does easily go negative. We typically launch a double jet-ski trailer with it.

I won’t be launching the boat with it, just re-positioning it from main garage to basement garage throughout the season.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That’s what I was interested in seeing! Cool looking rig.
Are there any manufacturers that make something similar ...with the higher sleeve option?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hardly any hitches are the exact height of a trailer. That's what these hitch adapters are for. Use them to raise or lower the hitch point.

Yeah easiest thing is getting one of these with the amount of lift you need.

Reactions: KDNitz and JD4044M

·
Registered
160 Posts
I recently bought a Titan Attachments cat1 weight rack/receiver because they had it on sale for a nice price. The receiver isn't as beefed up as the heavy hitch, but it works fine for using the HH Hitch n Can, or moving my utility trailers around the yard. The weight rack portion is built nicely.

Attachments

Reactions: KDNitz and JD4044M

·
Registered
312 Posts
I recently bought a Titan Attachments cat1 weight rack/receiver because they had it on sale for a nice price. The receiver isn't as beefed up as the heavy hitch, but it works fine for using the HH Hitch n Can, or moving my utility trailers around the yard. The weight rack portion is built nicely.
I just bought this same Hitch. I think its built great! Beefy and all. Not to hijack this poat but did you put anything on the threads bolts before you attached them? I was thinkin of using thread lock..

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Yeah easiest thing is getting one of these with the amount of lift you need.
I use one like this for my bucket-mounted 2" receiver. It's a bit kludgy but it works well and allows for a lot of adjustment.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just so you know there is a 1.25" receiver built into the front bumper of your tractor. You can get an adapter from harbor freight for 12 bucks to make it a 2" receiver.

I use that front receiver to mount my balast weight that I built. I've also used it to move a 16' flat bed trailer and a 16' covered Hallmark trailer that was half full of stuff. The front bumper is close to the same height as most pick up truck receivers.

If you need to move a small boat around the yard the front bumper receiver is perfect for that. If the boat is really heavy hang some balast off the 3ph to take the weight off the front axel.

·
Registered
203 Posts
How many suitcase weights will the titan hitch hold on each side?

‘17 1025r w/FEL
(2) 80 JD carts
18 JD cart
Land Pride 1548 land plane
Land Pride RTR 1258 tiller
Land Pride FDR 1660 finish mower
Frontier ss1023 broadcast spreader
Frontier af10f front manual angle blade
Victory EF155 flail mower

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just so you know there is a 1.25" receiver built into the front bumper of your tractor. You can get an adapter from harbor freight for 12 bucks to make it a 2" receiver.

I use that front receiver to mount my balast weight that I built. I've also used it to move a 16' flat bed trailer and a 16' covered Hallmark trailer that was half full of stuff. The front bumper is close to the same height as most pick up truck receivers.

If you need to move a small boat around the yard the front bumper receiver is perfect for that. If the boat is really heavy hang some balast off the 3ph to take the weight off the front axel.
Thanks for that tip on the front receiver adapter. The 1.25” receiver on the front is better than nothing but 2” would definitely make it nicer.
My basement garage access is a bit tricky so I am eager to try a 2” ball at both the front and rear to see which option works best for me. Heavy Hitch and Everything Attachments seem to have some good options for 3PH trailer towing. I have time to look around though as the estimated delivery of my machine isn’t until. 2/15/19.

·
Registered
152 Posts
so I am eager to try a 2” ball at both the front and rear to see which option works best for me.
I use a 1-7/8" ball on the tractor end so the 2" couplers on the trailers snap on and off easier.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

How many inches of lift can I expect with the 3PH on the x758, from the lowest position to the highest?

·
Registered
573 Posts
How many inches of lift can I expect with the 3PH on the x758, from the lowest position to the highest?

This will vary slightly based on top link adjustment. Mine is as short as can be in these pics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts