Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an x758 with 400 hours (2013) that started knocking really bad and lost compression in the middle cylinder. This tractor had all it's maintenance points hit, always used Deere oil/filters. The dealer says it needs a new engine.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I have an x758 with 400 hours (2013) that started knocking really bad and lost compression in the middle cylinder. This tractor had all it's maintenance points hit, always used Deere oil/filters. The dealer says it needs a new engine.
What did they say failed on the engine? Engine failures in the little Yanmar are not very common, especially at such low hours. I have one in a 455 with 2,700 hours on it and it runs great. I have even seen them with 6,000 and more hours on them and they reached those hours with normal maintenance and nothing more.

Please find out exactly what failed on the engine. I am sure they have torn it down far enough to know. Plus, Deere has a factory rebuild for their diesel engines. Last time I was at the dealer, they were pulling a diesel engine out of a SCUT which had 4,500 hours on it sending it out for rebuild.

Make sure you find out all your options from the dealer before they order a new engine assembly. Swapping in a new engine is the "easiest fix" for the dealer, but very well may not be the most cost effective way to repair your engine. When you purchase a new engine, you are paying for a lot of parts which you have that aren't damaged. Perhaps a short block can be purchased instead.

Depending upon your delivery date on the machine, is there any warranty coverage available? You can call Deere directly to see what they say by calling 1-800-537-8233 for turf equipment. Have your tractor VIN number when you call.......

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have the same 455 with 1500 hours and neary a hiccup with the engine. Like Sully said, these engines don't just **** the bed without cause. I'd also like to know why.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Wow. I won't ever say it doesn't happen but a catastrophic failure is rare.
Most common failures are bent rods due to hydro lock, either oil or coolant. Connecting rods can get bent and twisted. The twisted part is where the knock comes from. Second is piston skirts deciding they dont want to play anymore. Piston gets yanked in half and jams up the works creating havoc.
As for replacement.. It's likely to exceed the value of the unit. I can't look right now and see what is available. I would have the dealer immediately contact the TCSM. Territory Customer Service Manager. He is a Deere rep that can perform magic tricks with bags of money. IMHO, I would say you have a strong case for some help. Even out of warranty I have seen many cases of Deere stepping up and covering part if not all of the repair.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
You could also get a short block from yanmar.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Complete engines are available. Price msrp is $9597. Minus $2000 core. So yur lookin at $7597.

That is a crazy price for a small diesel engine. I guess they really want you to just buy a new machine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Complete engines are available. Price msrp is $9597. Minus $2000 core. So yur lookin at $7597.
Wow, I paid a little more than $7500 for my x750 used, with just 79 hours. I’m really hoping my Yanmar lasts.

Going to keep an eye on this thread.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Wow, I paid a little more than $7500 for my x750 used, with just 79 hours. I’m really hoping my Yanmar lasts.

Going to keep an eye on this thread.
Yammar has been doing those little tractor engines right since I was a wee lad. Maintain it correctly, treat your fuel and be happy. It will likely outlive you. What the OP experienced was truly the exception. There are 80s era yammys out there in excess of 5000 hours with not so much as a sneeze. They are great little engines and you stole yours.

Just sayin

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yammar has been doing those little tractor engines right since I was a wee lad. Maintain it correctly, treat your fuel and be happy. It will likely outlive you. What the OP experienced was truly the exception. There are 80s era yammys out there in excess of 5000 hours with not so much as a sneeze. They are great little engines and you stole yours.

Just sayin
Thanks Fozsey.

When you say “treat your fuel,” what are you referencing?

I’m new to diesel...Just been running pump diesel in my x750.

Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Thanks Fozsey.

When you say “treat your fuel,” what are you referencing?

I’m new to diesel...Just been running pump diesel in my x750.

Thanks, Doug
Just a guess, but lots of us use some type of fuel additive in the diesel.
Personally, I run Stanadyne Performance in mine. I have used it in my VW TDI for quite some time, and I can tell a minor difference when I dont use it.
I just add the proper amount to the diesel can when I fill it up, and that way I dont have to worry about gelling or anything else for that matter.

Some guys dont like to use anything and feel its unnecessary, and to each their own. I dont mind spending the little extra on what I feel is worthwhile.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Wow. I won't ever say it doesn't happen but a catastrophic failure is rare.
Most common failures are bent rods due to hydro lock, either oil or coolant. Connecting rods can get bent and twisted. The twisted part is where the knock comes from. Second is piston skirts deciding they dont want to play anymore. Piston gets yanked in half and jams up the works creating havoc.
As for replacement.. It's likely to exceed the value of the unit. I can't look right now and see what is available. I would have the dealer immediately contact the TCSM. Territory Customer Service Manager. He is a Deere rep that can perform magic tricks with bags of money. IMHO, I would say you have a strong case for some help. Even out of warranty I have seen many cases of Deere stepping up and covering part if not all of the repair.

Yeah... I'm not saying OP should expect something... But I'd be expecting something.

400 hours.

That's like 20k miles on a car.

OP, try not to be abrasive, like I would be. :mocking:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts