Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I finally got the right tractor and snow blower to meet the needs of my property. I actually had a 1026R that I sold last year and used the funds to buy my X758. I'm also the kind of person who likes to take on task myself and save the expense of having someone else do it. So I purchased the front PTO kit for the tractor and installed it. When I installed the PTO I followed the instructions, I removed the front wheels, put the axle up on jack stands, and removed the existing plugs in the axle. When refilling the front axle with hydraulic fluid I watched for the fluid to show up in the vents on top of the wheel cylinder. As soon as I saw fluid I stopped adding fluid. Things went smoothly and everything appeared to be correct. We had a major snow storm for our area and I used the tractor to open my driveway and several of my neighbors driveways. When the snow melted I noticed spots of hydraulic fluid on the driveway and there was a nice puddle under the front of the tractor laying there greeting me the next morning. The hydraulic fluid was coming from both the front and rear PTO seals.

So the tractor had been sitting for a while and Spring started to roll around so I removed the snow blower, hitch, etc. I purchased a new transmission filter and 3 gallons of hydraulic fluid. From what I have read, the front axle takes 5.3 quarts and the rear takes 7.2 quarts of transmission fluid. I drained all the hydraulic fluid and replaced the transmission filter. I started with the front axle as the instructions stated. I removed the wheels, put the front axle on jack stands, and removed the vent caps on both sides. I put 4 quarts into the front axle and then I started on the second gallon. I'm not sure just how much more I added but it quickly reached the tops of the vents. From my understanding that is how the manual states it is to be done. So I stopped adding fluid and began to fill the rear.

I filled the rear to the first line on the dipstick and started the tractor and cycled the transmission as instructed. Waited the 3 minutes and brought to middle line on the dipstick. At this point I thought I had resolved the problem. So recently I mowed the grass and was greeted with the same puddle of fluid under the front PTO leaking from the seals.

Has anyone else here ran into this problem when they installed the front PTO? The seals were new and I don't believe that I installed them incorrectly but I'm not real sure why I still have the leak. I have drained off some of the fluid from the front axle, cycled the pedals and checked the dipstick level and it appeared to be still in check. I then drive the machine and sure enough the leak starts again. From my understanding these two seals are not designed to hold the pressure of the fluid or is that incorrect? The last thing that I want to do is damage the transmission so this leak has me very concerned. Could I have damaged the seals in such a way that they no longer work? Sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to let everyone know what I have done so far.

Thanks for any help and advise that you can provide.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Looking at JD parts there's 2 seals 2 bearings and 4 snap rings.If one of them is not in its groove could cause some shifting and leaking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looking at JD parts there's 2 seals 2 bearings and 4 snap rings.If one of them is not in its groove could cause some shifting and leaking.
Thank you very much for that suggestion, I'm pretty sure that the snap rings are seated properly in the grooves of the shaft and the housing. I have tried to pull and push on the shaft and it doesn't seem to give at all. It also spins freely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you wrap the spines on each end of the shaft with electrical tape, then lube them and the seals to prevent damage to the seals when slipping the seals over the shafts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you wrap the spines on each end of the shaft with electrical tape, then lube them and the seals to prevent damage to the seals when slipping the seals over the shafts?
Thank you Mr.G, I did wrap electrical tape around the shaft on both ends and lube the seals before installing them. The leak appears to be coming from the outer edges of the seals and not the center against the shaft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photo?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Hi MacTractor, I decided to go ahead and buy two new seals so I have removed both seals. Attached are pictures of the shaft and the seal. I noticed an indent on the seal at the bottom of the seal. I'm not sure what caused it but it is there on both seals. The hole in the seal is from a screw that I used to remove the seal. I'm going to buy another 2 gallons of hydraulic fluid to replace the fluid that has poured out. I'm hoping that this will resolve the issue. I'm going to follow the filling instructions : Slowly fill the front axle until the hydraulic oil level reaches the vent plug holes at each side. I will do this while the wheels are off and the axle is up on the jack stands watching closely the fluid level in those vents. I'm confident that I did it correctly the first two times but I may not have. I will be sure to grease the seals and tape the shaft splines before installing the seals. Maybe I somehow got defective seals, I'm not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
is the front pto an extension of the mid pto like you have on a 2 series for a blower? :think:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Solved, resolved, fixed, working, I'm Happy!

So today I got two new seals for the PTO shaft. For anyone interested they are part number M145671. They were what I consider a bit on the expensive side at $17.50 each. I wound up using about 1 gallon of low viscosity hydraulic fluid. I also stopped by the hardware store and bought a pvc pipe about 1 foot long and while there I compared the diameter to the seal that I had with me. I got home and installed the seals using the pvc pipe. On the advice of the service tech at Deere, I drove them in past the lip of the openings so they are both in there a little further then the old ones were. I refilled the axle, then went to the rear and filled it and cycled the transmission forward and backward three times. Brought the fluid to mid on the dipstick and then I started it up and I let it sit and idle around half throttle and checked for leaks around both sides of the shafts and there were none. I then mowed my grass and ran across my driveway several times to check for oil spots and there were none. The leak is gone! I still don't know what caused the seal to do what it did but I am so happy this is fixed now. Thanks to all of you for your advice on this issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is there anywhere online I can find a copy of the installation instructions for the front pto kit that fits on the x758?

Just wondering how long you think it will take a novice to do this install? I'm just wondering if I should take it to the JD dealership.

thanks

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Is there anywhere online I can find a copy of the installation instructions for the front pto kit that fits on the x758?

Just wondering how long you think it will take a novice to do this install? I'm just wondering if I should take it to the JD dealership.

thanks
I thought all X7xx tractors come with the front PTO. This should be what drives the mower deck or front snow blower. The rear 540 rpm PTO is the one you have to install separately. If needed. The 3 point hitch is another add on. I believe the 2 can be done together or separately.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I thought all X7xx tractors come with the front PTO. This should be what drives the mower deck or front snow blower. The rear 540 rpm PTO is the one you have to install separately. If needed. The 3 point hitch is another add on. I believe the 2 can be done together or separately.
The mower deck is driven by the direct PTO shaft on the front of the rear transaxle. This is for the pass PTO shaft that goes through the front axle to drive the snow snow blower. You connect a long connector shaft from transaxle to back side of this front axle pass through and the snow blower to the front side. Apparently, it is an add-on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Any distortion of the outer part of the seal will cause a leak. I used to just drop em a container of oil to lube em up then install them. As of late I started using an anaerobic sealer to lube and seal the outer edges of seals. Don't gob it on. A lil goes a long way. No rtv. Anaerobic sealer will only cure in the absence of air. Wont get in a hyd system and cause issues. Plus side is.. That tube will never dry out and harden even if left uncapped.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The mower deck is driven by the direct PTO shaft on the front of the rear transaxle. This is for the pass PTO shaft that goes through the front axle to drive the snow snow blower. You connect a long connector shaft from transaxle to back side of this front axle pass through and the snow blower to the front side. Apparently, it is an add-on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I knew an extra/longer drive shaft was needed to power the blower. However I thought it hooks up to the same output shaft on the front of the transmission as the mower.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
I knew an extra/longer drive shaft was needed to power the blower. However I thought it hooks up to the same output shaft on the front of the transmission as the mower.
It does..........

·
Registered
8,186 Posts

thanks
Very easy to install. On a 1 to 10, 1 being super easy and 10 being professional level installation, installing the front carrier and shaft on that tractor is about a 3.

Just know that you can't use the mower deck with the front drive shaft actually installed. You can install the front carrier bearing at the axle, but once you install the front drive shaft, the mower has to come off and won't be going back on until the shaft is removed.

Seriously, I bet it won't take 30 minutes and that assumes a few minutes reading instructions. I am assuming you know how to hang the front quick attach hitch on the tractor and can connect and disconnect the hydraulic lines. Remember any pressure on the hydraulics and you won't be able to couple the connectors.

My neighbor wanted to take his 2025r to the dealer to install his entire front snow blower. We began the process at his house and I realized he doesn't have an organized tool set or much mechanical knowledge and I suggested we load up the parts and take it to my garage. I installed the entire item, including assembling the snowblower, etc. in about 1.5 hours and that included me telling him how to do it. If I was going to be doing it myself, I would estimate the entire thing would be about an hour and that included un=crating everything and assembling the pieces.

So if you own a decent set of tools and know how to use them, you should be able to do this quite easily. Deere is very good about detailed and illustrated instructions. Just read them and follow them step by step and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
7,507 Posts
How did you install the seals the first time? Seal looks damaged, it either came that way and you did not catch it or damaged during install.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are Deere installation instructions online somewhere? I can't seem to find the installation instructions for the BM25305.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think SulleyBear is right, it may not be as big of a task to install as I thought.

Does anyone know if I have to drain all of the transaxle fluid? If so, I might as well save it and refill with it because it isn't too old.

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe there is some confusion. For 2WD tractors, there is a ~ 4.5 ft shaft that attaches to hydro, then pokes through hole in front axle and sticks out ~ 1 ft in front of front bumper. For AWD tractors, there is a ~ 3.5' shaft that connects to hydro the same but then connects to stub shaft behind the front axle. This stub shaft is "wet" ie. if the seals would fail, the hydro fluid would come running out.

If you go here... --> John Deere 4WD 2000 RPM Front PTO Kit - BM22560

and then choose preview installation instructions... I THINK you will get a pretty good idea of complexity. I know this isn't the kit for your tractor but I don't think it has changed a lot but am not sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts