Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dirty diesel fuel can be a problem for any diesel engine. When I bought my 758 I had an advantage because I had been around this little engine for years at work and knew of its little problems. Also learned a few tricks to prevent problems. We have used these glass filters for a long time to save lift pumps from failure due to dirty fuel. I installed one shortly after buying the tractor. I have always been picky about my fuel and use a clear race gas jug to get and store my fuel. If there is any crud in it I can see it. I was pretty surprised this evening when my tractor started to die like it was running out of fuel. I checked my glass fuel filter and this is what I saw. I cleaned it and will run it for a while again and check. If it fills with crud again I guess I get to see how much fun it is to remove the tank and clean it. Just thought I would share.
Wood Finger Thumb Nail Font
Material property Font Cylinder Auto part Magenta
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Looks like the plastic from drilling out the ports for the tank.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Great idea on putting on that filter! Would you happen to have a web link on where to buy one?

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Is the "crud" slimy? If so, it is bugs.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great idea on putting on that filter! Would you happen to have a web link on where to buy one?
I don’t know how to add a link. It is made by Doorman part number 55241. Amazon has them available. I got this one from my local Carquest.
Its not plastic or algae. Just dirt. I’m not sure where or how it got there.

·
Registered
631 Posts

·
Registered
26,411 Posts
The reason you are probably getting algae growth is using a clear storage container. Any type of light on the fuel in the jug will promote its growth.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
992 Posts
The reason you are probably getting algae growth is using a clear storage container. Any type of light on the fuel in the jug will promote its growth.
That's true enough, but he'd be able to see it growing and then use a cheesecloth in a funnel to pour it into his tractor tank. I can't say what that gunk on his filter is, but you can decrease the crap that the tractor's fuel filters have to deal with by first filtering what you pour into the tank. I never fill straight from a 5 gallon fuel jug; I have a 30 gallon caddy with a hand crank, and it has a screw-on cannister filter in the delivery line, filters trash, algae and water as I fill the tractor. When that filter is full, it won't pass any more fuel, the pump gets hard to crank, so I know when to change it. Cheap insurance. I can't think of a single time since I started using it that I've seen water in the strainer bowl on the tractors I've had (about 14 years).

·
Registered
26,411 Posts
The Mr. Funnel Fuel Filter is specially designed to filter out water, dirt, and debris from most fuels including, gasoline, diesel, heating oil, and kerosene.

Reactions: x738

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My fuel container lives in my basement garage. Dark 99 percent of the time. It’s not algae. We deal with that constantly at work with our pumps sitting out in the sun. Very familiar with it

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a follow up on my fuel issue. I have no idea where the stuff came from but I had to remove the fuel tank and clean it. The stuff stuck to the pick up screen resembled sawdust. I do have a junior carpenter in my house that sometimes works here in my tiny shop with out my knowledge. I suppose I could have just grabbed my funnel off the bench without looking in it and filled the tractor. I now have one of the filter funnels Coaltrain suggested. At least it’s warm out and not the middle of winter.
Wood Office supplies Font Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory
Automotive tire Camera lens Cameras & optics Camera accessory Lens

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your photo looks like my pickup line that I found when I cleaned out the tank on my X758 this week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts