Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We moved to roughly a 2 acre property (300'L X 300'W) (20 mature trees and surround by 80 acres of woods) 3 years ago that is basically all hill. It ranges from 10 degrees to 15 degrees up front. The west side of the property is 20 degrees with a 1/4 acre pond at the bottom. The 20 degree part is 120' L X 50' W. Yes, I measured it all with Angle meter app and a 2"X4"X8'. House sits almost dead center of the property.

I have had a Z910A deere zero turn since 2010 that I purchased new. Although it handles the property dry, it is is the least bit wet it slides and has left many undesirable skid marks on the property. I even put fluid filled bar tires on it that helped somewhat, but still not ideal and still is hard to get the seat out of my butt when it starts sliding towards the pond. Therefore, I have been kicking around the pro Z since they claim it will handle a 20 degree hill. However, I bleed green and hence why I started looking at the x758. Last year, I bought a used (230 hours on it) 2017 2032R TLB and even got the 72" deck for an insanely low price to do alot of work around the property removing stumps, installing retaining walls, trenching for garage wiring, etc. I put the deck on the shelf because I did not buy it to mow, it was more or less a bonus. I got the 2032R out this weekend (I don't have fluid in the tires but I have 2 weights on each wheel) but I was too chicken to try it on the 20 degree part. Plus it was damp here in Western KY. The biggest issue has always been during leaf season (8 straight weekends of mulching leaves) when the ground is somewhat wet. Plus, even dry, it still leaves marks unless you go insanely slow.

Is the blade tip speed on the X758 the same as the Deere zero turns (around 18,000) ?
would I really lose that much time from a zero turn to a x758? takes 45minutes - 1 hour on the zero turn. the property is rough, so I am not at full speed (10mph). I am working on making it visually appealing.
am I looking at this all wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.
Will

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
I even put fluid filled bar tires on it that helped somewhat, but still not ideal and still is hard to get the seat out of my butt when it starts sliding towards the pond.
Welcome from another western KY member with slopes, leaves, and two ponds at the bottom of the ride.....

I had tried bar tires on a previous Z and wasn't impressed with the traction.

I purchased a Z915 and changed the turf tires to Carlisle Field Trax tires, kind of a all terrain knobby tire. Better traction for sure. Then I loaded them with fluid. Really big improvement.

I cannot comment on how much longer it would take to mow with the X758 over the Z. I wouldn't consider time as much of a factor as safety. If you are more comfortable on the X7, it is worth the time.

Before making that kind of a purchase I would see if the dealer will let you demo a X7 on your property.

While Z's are prone to slide, they have a very low center of gravity and are much less likely to roll. I've got mine sticking to the ground much better now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,
I am in the Owensboro area. Wright doesn't like to provide demo's and unfortunately the way Deere has setup their system, you cannot purchase from another dealer, tried that already. Once you tell them where you are located, they tell you they cannot sell to you because you have a dealer. Plus, just dealing with them is like dealing with a car salesman. They annoy the dickens out of you even if you just are looking.

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
Sending you a PM.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have a new x758 and love it. I calculated the blade speed to be around 17500, roughly. With your slope, I would go with the x758. That’s just me. Zero turns and steep slopes don’t go together. Can’t beat them on flat ground.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Thanks for the reply,
I am in the Owensboro area. Wright doesn't like to provide demo's and unfortunately the way Deere has setup their system, you cannot purchase from another dealer, tried that already. Once you tell them where you are located, they tell you they cannot sell to you because you have a dealer. Plus, just dealing with them is like dealing with a car salesman. They annoy the dickens out of you even if you just are looking.
Are You saying You can't Buy from another Deere dealer Based On where You Live? Because I do it all the time. Deere system is not set Up to Just Buy from the dealers In your Local Location.

Are You trying to Buy Online from the Deere website? Now if that is the Case yes it Might Limit where It come from. But if You go into a dealer to deal On a Machine it doesn't Matter which dealer You go to.

The Cub cadet zero turns are the Only Zero turn I would consider for a Hill There is another Brand that Has Tracks for the Zero turn But there may no be enough dealer locations to have Good support. So the Cub Zero turns with steering wheel Handle slopes about the Best for the 2WD zero turns to handle slopes since You already do Have compact Tractor Mowing with a steering wheel ZTR will Probably be fine even for that 20 degree slope.

I Personally don't Care for Zero turns In General I have a X748(older Version of a X758) But the X748 only Handles Fall clean Up for Mowing duties now. As I have a Cub Cadet XT3GSX for Mowing Mostly the X748 does Loader, Tiller, Garden & snow removal work through the rest of the Year. I also Have a 2025R(GEN II) TLB for the Bigger Jobs. I Just Prefer a Tractor style for Mowing There are Only two Brands Of ZTR I would consider Cub Cadet S series & the Simplicity /Ferris for a Traditional ZTR as Both Have superior rides compared to any other ZTR I have Used.

.But I think the X700 series is a Great Mowing Machines as well for just about any terrain. Deere Markets the 48inch deck with the X700 series for Mowing at a Faster speed Plus the 48inch deck I think leaves the best Cut of any of the X700 series decks (y)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have had my x758 for 6 years. I have some steep areas that it handles up and down and sideways. I really enjoy this tractor. Can’t comment on z turn. I need to do more than mow lawn so a z turn would be of no use to me.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have some experience that may be of use to you. I have a 10 acre property that is mostly flat with about 7 acres to mow. I bought an x758 with 60" deck when we moved here. I can mow the 7 acres in about 4.5 hours. Back in 2018 I borrowed a Deere zero-turn (945?) to evaluate whether that may be a good option for me. It also had a 60" deck. Even though I had never been on a zero-turn before that test I was still able to mow my property quite a bit faster than I can with the x758. I believe it look around 3.5 to 3.75 hours with the zero-turn. The ends/corners are where a lot of time savings comes in. I don't think I really was going much faster (mph). I probably only mow at about 4mph with the x758. I can't imaging mowing a lot faster than that and still having a good result, but my property is fairly bumpy so maybe on really smooth ground a zero-turn could do a good job at much faster speeds. I also tend to mow really long grass (3-5" cut off with 3" cut height on a normal week).

I believe the blade tip speed is faster on the Deere zero-turns than the garden tractors. I don't have enough experience to say whether that matters.

As for hills, the only really sloped area I have is about 450' of road ditch. It isn't an extreme slope but it was a bit of a challenge to keep the zero-turn running straight along that and it wasn't comfortable in some spots.

I think the x758 will be a very good option for you. The AWD makes traction a non-issue and slopes should be easy.

Rob

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Look up YouTube vids of that 758 mowing hills. Things a beast even in wet grass. I almost bought one I was so impressed with it. Only reason I bought a 1025R was for the FEL. Otherwise I’d be rockin the X758. I know Jack about cub cadet so take it with a grain of salt I guess. I know they’re spendy, but hard to beat an AWD diesel Deere

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are You saying You can't Buy from another Deere dealer Based On where You Live? Because I do it all the time. Deere system is not set Up to Just Buy from the dealers In your Local Location.

Are You trying to Buy Online from the Deere website? Now if that is the Case yes it Might Limit where It come from. But if You go into a dealer to deal On a Machine it doesn't Matter which dealer You go to.

The Cub cadet zero turns are the Only Zero turn I would consider for a Hill There is another Brand that Has Tracks for the Zero turn But there may no be enough dealer locations to have Good support. So the Cub Zero turns with steering wheel Handle slopes about the Best for the 2WD zero turns to handle slopes since You already do Have compact Tractor Mowing with a steering wheel ZTR will Probably be fine even for that 20 degree slope.

I Personally don't Care for Zero turns In General I have a X748(older Version of a X758) But the X748 only Handles Fall clean Up for Mowing duties now. As I have a Cub Cadet XT3GSX for Mowing Mostly the X748 does Loader, Tiller, Garden & snow removal work through the rest of the Year. I also Have a 2025R(GEN II) TLB for the Bigger Jobs. I Just Prefer a Tractor style for Mowing There are Only two Brands Of ZTR I would consider Cub Cadet S series & the Simplicity /Ferris for a Traditional ZTR as Both Have superior rides compared to any other ZTR I have Used.

.But I think the X700 series is a Great Mowing Machines as well for just about any terrain. Deere Markets the 48inch deck with the X700 series for Mowing at a Faster speed Plus the 48inch deck I think leaves the best Cut of any of the X700 series decks (y)
When I was looking for a price on a new tractor, I contacted the dealer in my hometown which was 60 miles away via email. They did call me but They wouldn't even give me a price but forwarded my information to the Owensboro dealer which I have never really been a fan of the sales staff. So, I tried a Dealer around Louisville, and they did the exact same thing. This was at the end of 2019. I have not seen any reviews on the Altoz track mowers. They are around $15k

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can buy from any dealer you so choose. However it is up to the dealer if they want to sell you a machine. My thinking is "business must be good" that they turned down a possible sale.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My new X738 got it's first full workout on my very steep hills this past summer. The 4wd worked better than I thought with no slipping, no turf digging, and a very, very secure feeling when mowing sideways or turning on the steepest parts of the hill. The X758 is the X738 diesel version and either one will fill your bill.

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
I have not seen any reviews on the Altoz track mowers. They are around $15k
I was looking at them at the National Farm Machinery Show.

The tracked version with the 66" rear discharge deck was listed at $19K.

They will do a demo on site according to the rep.

What I don't know is the maintenance cost and lifespan of the tracks.

The machine looks like a beast and very well built.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Due to the hills alone, I would opt for the x758 over the Z. You'll have better stability and traction on the hills with the AWD of the x758. I wouldn't worry too much about the blade tip speed difference. The deck on the x7's leaves a very nice cut even in tall grass. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

Rick

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the reply,
+Wkmounts, I have three older brothers that fought like hell in the South Pacific during WWII to save your life from being held by a foreign government, and I spent three tours in Korean War and now you tell me all my Korea war years and my bothers efforts was for nothing to make the USA a free country that you can buy from whom you want and speak whatever is on your mind., because John Deere wouldn't/won't allow you to buy from another Deere dealer other than the one in your town or area. Drop everything and go get you the best lawyer you can find and sue the hell out of the dealer for a million bucks for what you have said here. No way, are you allowed to buy from the local Deere dealer. I have four John Deere dealer within fifty miles from me, and I have purchase five lawn tractors from each one.

BTW: who told you such a cock-a-mania story?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have some experience that may be of use to you. I have a 10 acre property that is mostly flat with about 7 acres to mow. I bought an x758 with 60" deck when we moved here. I can mow the 7 acres in about 4.5 hours. Back in 2018 I borrowed a Deere zero-turn (945?) to evaluate whether that may be a good option for me. It also had a 60" deck. Even though I had never been on a zero-turn before that test I was still able to mow my property quite a bit faster than I can with the x758. I believe it look around 3.5 to 3.75 hours with the zero-turn. The ends/corners are where a lot of time savings comes in. I don't think I really was going much faster (mph). I probably only mow at about 4mph with the x758. I can't imaging mowing a lot faster than that and still having a good result, but my property is fairly bumpy so maybe on really smooth ground a zero-turn could do a good job at much faster speeds. I also tend to mow really long grass (3-5" cut off with 3" cut height on a normal week).

I believe the blade tip speed is faster on the Deere zero-turns than the garden tractors. I don't have enough experience to say whether that matters.

As for hills, the only really sloped area I have is about 450' of road ditch. It isn't an extreme slope but it was a bit of a challenge to keep the zero-turn running straight along that and it wasn't comfortable in some spots.

I think the x758 will be a very good option for you. The AWD makes traction a non-issue and slopes should be easy.

Rob
My ground has been beat up from all the dozer equipment due to adding a 50'X50' detached garage and a 1/4 acre pond a couple of years ago. My Z910z has a max speed of 10mph and the x758 of 8.5mph. The speed advantage gets lost when you have to go so slow on the slopes, which 75-85% of my property is. Plus, you can see the spots the zero turn tears up because it can't hold it. But looking at your times, I really would not lose that much time considering I only have 2 acres, and since I love to mow it becomes a mute point. The dealer here actually has an individual who has more money than he knows what to do with because he trades in 2 x758 with the front fender kits and mulching decks every year with about 40 hours on each. Right now, they have them for $12,900 each (new $14k with 60"HC only). I test drove a new x758 before he got these two in and was wanting to test drive a x739 (new $13,500 new with 60"HC only), but the dealer says they very rarely get them because they only sell 3 to 5 X series every year vs the 50+ zero turns. I have been stalking facebook for the x749's and x758's. However, Cub Cadet will have a 15% off special coming April 1st on the pro Z 760s and 960s, putting them around $10,300 and $11,100 respectively.
IMG_20200322_0834247.jpg
IMG_20200322_0834321.jpg IMG_20200322_0835101.jpg IMG_20200322_0835132.jpg IMG_20200322_0835299.jpg IMG_20200322_0835360.jpg IMG_20200322_0836198.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My vote is for the X758 tractor. Will you ever mow at top speed?
It has been so long since I actually mowed, I highly doubt it. Looking at price vs practicality. I am surrounded by 80+ acres of woods, so leaf season is never "dry" ground here. I am friends with our Kubota/Cub dealer here and buy all my stihl products from them and even my companies turf tiger. They are great guys. They are essentially 1 mile down the road. But, they don't have any 760's or 960's to try. I have bled green for as long as I can remember. Hence, why I am even looking at an expensive garden tractor.

·
Registered
449 Posts
In my opinion, the X758 is the Cadillac of garden tractors. The X758 has more versatility than a zero turn. You can add other attachments (short of a loader) if the need arises. And the X758 will likely be worth more if you decide to upgrade. If you maintain it properly, it will last a long time.

·
Registered
622 Posts
When looking at your pictures it's easy to see where the ZT chewed up the turf when it didn't have traction, especially in turns. This is the exact same problem I ran into with my X580, and it had HDAPs. I moved to an X738 this past summer and never had an issue with traction loss anywhere on my property and that includes on the hills, in corners, or turning sharply on steep hills. I highly recommend the X758 for your needs.

Also, if you jump to the X758 I suggest you buy the tractor with the 3pt hitch and Imatch. Then you can buy a 3 point rake and fix your yard where it's dug up.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts