Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my opinion, the X758 is the Cadillac of garden tractors. The X758 has more versatility than a zero turn. You can add other attachments (short of a loader) if the need arises. And the X758 will likely be worth more if you decide to upgrade. If you maintain it properly, it will last a long time.
Farmer52, I have the X738 and I can assure you adding a front loader to any X7xx series tractor is possible. CTC makes a loader for these tractors and if you can find an older 45 loader you can attach one of those with a set of custom brackets. I have a 45 loader on mine and have moved over 75 tons of dirt and sod with it. I agree with you on the addition of a three point hitch. I use mine all the time with the Heavy Hitch for weights while using the loader and also to move trailers around and use the Garden Rake to help clean up garbage on one of my lots.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I use the 3ph on my x738 probably more than I use the mower deck. An AWD x7 either a 38/39/58 is everything we hype them up to be and probably more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My neighbor has 14 acres of which 2.5 acres is a lake with 15 degree banks. His 2 year old zero turn went swimming Thursday afternoon. Therefore, he is in search of a mower as well. We demoed the Z960s over the weekend and neither one of us was that impressed. It weighs in at almost 1,600lbs. When you go down a hill, even with the reverse pedal depressed, the weight of the machine pushed it down the hill. The synchro steering to stop the turf damage did not do its job. Has a great cut, speed, and ride, but if it won't keep it out of a lake none of that really matters. Once we got about a deck width away from the lakes, the ground was somewhat damp, and the back end started to slide. We did not get stuck, but again, when you are mowing in between rains or during fall leaf season, the ground is not always dry. We are trying to setup a demo on the x758.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I have owned a diesel Z and Diesel X7s.

I was not impressed with the Z.

The one I owed last year and traded off after 90 days for an X758, was a royal pain in the rear on rough, uneven, or wet terrain. I could not get it to hold a side of hill/ditch bank, constantly got it stuck.

Look on this forum there is a very lengthy thread about where you got your Z stuck lately.

The X7's turn plenty sharp especially if your just mowing around larger mature trees.

I have not had any regrets with trading off that Z9 for an X758 4x4. The X758 holds the side of the ditch banks hills, deals with rough and wet terrain with ease.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have owned a diesel Z and Diesel X7s.

I was not impressed with the Z.

The one I owed last year and traded off after 90 days for an X758, was a royal pain in the rear on rough, uneven, or wet terrain. I could not get it to hold a side of hill/ditch bank, constantly got it stuck.

Look on this forum there is a very lengthy thread about where you got your Z stuck lately.

The X7's turn plenty sharp especially if your just mowing around larger mature trees.

I have not had any regrets with trading off that Z9 for an X758 4x4. The X758 holds the side of the ditch banks hills, deals with rough and wet terrain with ease.
CC1999, I was talking about the new Cub Cadet Pro Z960's (sorry for my poor explanation) that has the steering wheel and was supposed to handle a 20 degree hill. I did demo a 2018 X758 with 50 hours on it yesterday and that sucker felt like it could climb a 10' vertical wall with out breaking a sweat. I did not have a butt pinching moment around my pond and the 20 degree hill at all and the ground was somewhat soft and wet. I even sat on the downhill side of the seat and tried rocking it with my 220lb butt to see if it wanted to get tipsy or if I would need additional weight. I could not get that thing to come off the ground 1" inch and then it would sit right back down. He wanted $12k (60in) for it, it had the auto connect, front fenders, front brush guard, and mulch kit. I got a price of $14k for a new one bone stock (all I really want are the front fenders). I felt like it did ride a little rougher (my property is rough and a work in progess) than my JD Z910a (with suspension seat), but I have not had that thing out since November, so I could be completely wrong on that. Turning radius was not an issue around my property and all the trees (all mature white oaks) because I was considering the x739. But not now. So, I will be definitiely scouting the used market for a x758 or possibly a new one for 0%.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I bought all but my last X7s used.
I searched machine finder nation wide, for sub 100 hour machines. With my X740s and 750, I was able to find machines with well under 100 hours, I think my X750 at the time was a year old with 30 hours on it, I paid about 8500.00 for it without a deck. I already had a spare deck for it. I did my 758 new because of tax advantages and trading in that Z9 Deere.

I did a quick machine finder search for sub 100 hour X758s.
Looks like the majority of the like new or nearly new machines are landing in the 11K range.

Just FYI, with all the used X7s I had bought off machine finder, all were as promised in like new condition, only one had a scratch in the hood, which I was told about in advance by the dealer. All machine finder listings are with John Deere dealers, which I feel adds a bit of piece of mind anyway.

All the used machines were located 300-800 miles away and none cost more then 300-600 to ship to me. I used U-ship where you post your load and details and what your willing to pay or you can take shipping bids it takes a day or two to get it scheduled, then normally a week later you have your machine delivered to your door.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I bought all but my last X7s used.
I searched machine finder nation wide, for sub 100 hour machines. With my X740s and 750, I was able to find machines with well under 100 hours, I think my X750 at the time was a year old with 30 hours on it, I paid about 8500.00 for it without a deck. I already had a spare deck for it. I did my 758 new because of tax advantages and trading in that Z9 Deere.

I did a quick machine finder search for sub 100 hour X758s.
Looks like the majority of the like new or nearly new machines are landing in the 11K range.

Just FYI, with all the used X7s I had bought off machine finder, all were as promised in like new condition, only one had a scratch in the hood, which I was told about in advance by the dealer. All machine finder listings are with John Deere dealers, which I feel adds a bit of piece of mind anyway.

All the used machines were located 300-800 miles away and none cost more then 300-600 to ship to me. I used U-ship where you post your load and details and what your willing to pay or you can take shipping bids it takes a day or two to get it scheduled, then normally a week later you have your machine delivered to your door.

I found a 2013 with 190 hours on it, from an individual that states like new for $8K. Is there anything any different between pre 2016 as compared to post 2016 besides the digital dash?

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I found a 2013 with 190 hours on it, from an individual that states like new for $8K. Is there anything any different between pre 2016 as compared to post 2016 besides the digital dash?
That is likely the main differences.
Also seats can vary a bit, even in the same year models.
Also the wheels would be steel with hole slots in them prior to 2019.
2019+ has the new cast aluminum yellow/machined mag wheels.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I think the x7 'Signature Series' was introduced in 2015. That includes the x73x and x75x models. Prior to that it was the 'Ultimate Series' x72x and x74x models. Not a ton of differences but you should at least know that so you can be aware while you're researching things. I think the key feature I'd look for is the full-time AWD vs part-time MFWD. That may have been introduced on the Ultimate Series near the end. There certainly are threads around that describe other differences.

Rob

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
2012 was the last year for the X748 , 2013 would have been the first year for the new model X758.
There are several minor changes between those two models.

The 2015 or 2016 got the digital dash, cant remember exactly which year, I know my X750 is a 2016 and has the Digital dash. I was thinking 2016 was the first year for the digital dash, not a 100% on that though.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Huh. I didn't think the x758 came out that long ago. I guess I had it mixed up with the digital dash introduction. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
335 Posts
2012 was the last year for the X748 , 2013 would have been the first year for the new model X758.
There are several minor changes between those two models.

The 2015 or 2016 got the digital dash, cant remember exactly which year, I know my X750 is a 2016 and has the Digital dash. I was thinking 2016 was the first year for the digital dash, not a 100% on that though.
And starting in 2013 you could not get a JD 45 loader.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Very true, there were changes made to the frames in that transition which, I have to believe all that happened because the introduction of the 1 series I believe that would likely have negated a need for a loader on any new X7s moving forward, I am sure the 1 series made simply a far better platform similar in size if needing a loader, a little larger frame ROPS etc. etc. I believe the 1 series shares its engine with the X750, X754 and X758.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That is likely the main differences.
Also seats can vary a bit, even in the same year models.
Also the wheels would be steel with hole slots in them prior to 2019.
2019+ has the new cast aluminum yellow/machined mag wheels.
2016 was the digital dash.
I was more concerned with the mower deck performance as well as the engine. I can replace a seat pretty easily if needed. I am sure they didn't even change the bolt patterns from 2013-Present.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Very true, there were changes made to the frames in that transition which, I have to believe all that happened because the introduction of the 1 series I believe that would likely have negated a need for a loader on any new X7s moving forward, I am sure the 1 series made simply a far better platform similar in size if needing a loader, a little larger frame ROPS etc. etc. I believe the 1 series shares its engine with the X750, X754 and X758.
Frame was changed to accommodate a Lower weight so Deere would not have to Put ROPS On the Machine . Originally when the X700 signature series was In development a Loader was designed for it with a Different Sub Frame That was similar to the Older 40 Loader sub frame The 45 Loader sold very well until the Introduction of the 1026R. It sold very well during the Production of the 2210 & 2305. The reason the Loader was dropped from the Signature series was do to the redesigned sub Frame cost. Even with slightly lower sales during the 1 series Introduction they had every intent to Keep a Loader In the X700 series redesign But the Bean counter decided not to Pursue a New Loader for the Signature series. A slight bit of that decision was made so as not to cut Into the Sub Compact sales. But it was not the Major reason for the Loader being dropped. Surprisingly even with out the Loader The X700 signature series still sells very well and still higher sales numbers than the 1 series

If You really Look at it the Sub Compact has taken the Place of the Super Garden tractor Massey-Ferguson(AGCO) & New Holland(Fiat) actually Marketed the Sub Compacts as being more suited for Garden tractor work .The Massey Clone of the Legacy XL series was dropped In Favor of the Massey sub compact while for several more years They Had the Massey clone of the Simplicity Prestige & Conquest still made and New Holland Had the MY(yard Tractor) clone of the Toro/WH 4XT series In Production even after the New Holland clone of the Toro/WH 5Xi series was dropped.

Myself I have Both a Compact with a Loader & Backhoe & a X748 with a 45 Loader. I still use the X748 with 45 loader more than I do the 2025R with 120R Loader. I Put together a Kit(Loader Sub Frame, Hydrostatic relieve Vale & Hydro release Lever) to be able to use My 45 Loader On a X700 signature series If I decide to upgrade to a Used or New X758. The X700 series with a Loader can get into a lot tighter places than a 1 series (y)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Frame was changed to accommodate a Lower weight so Deere would not have to Put ROPS On the Machine . Originally when the X700 signature series was In development a Loader was designed for it with a Different Sub Frame That was similar to the Older 40 Loader sub frame The 45 Loader sold very well until the Introduction of the 1026R. It sold very well during the Production of the 2210 & 2305. The reason the Loader was dropped from the Signature series was do to the redesigned sub Frame cost. Even with slightly lower sales during the 1 series Introduction they had every intent to Keep a Loader In the X700 series redesign But the Bean counter decided not to Pursue a New Loader for the Signature series. A slight bit of that decision was made so as not to cut Into the Sub Compact sales. But it was not the Major reason for the Loader being dropped. Surprisingly even with out the Loader The X700 signature series still sells very well and still higher sales numbers than the 1 series

If You really Look at it the Sub Compact has taken the Place of the Super Garden tractor Massey-Ferguson(AGCO) & New Holland(Fiat) actually Marketed the Sub Compacts as being more suited for Garden tractor work .The Massey Clone of the Legacy XL series was dropped In Favor of the Massey sub compact while for several more years They Had the Massey clone of the Simplicity Prestige & Conquest still made and New Holland Had the MY(yard Tractor) clone of the Toro/WH 4XT series In Production even after the New Holland clone of the Toro/WH 5Xi series was dropped.

Myself I have Both a Compact with a Loader & Backhoe & a X748 with a 45 Loader. I still use the X748 with 45 loader more than I do the 2025R with 120R Loader. I Put together a Kit(Loader Sub Frame, Hydrostatic relieve Vale & Hydro release Lever) to be able to use My 45 Loader On a X700 signature series If I decide to upgrade to a Used or New X758. The X700 series with a Loader can get into a lot tighter places than a 1 series (y)
Wow. Talk about an awesome history lesson. I have a 2032r with loader and backhoe. I just need something more comfortable to mow with.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts