Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade in the spring and I don't believe a 1 series is for me. I mow a flat 3.5 acres and my gravel driveway is about 160x40ft.

Currently I maintain it with a 212, it has a snowblower, 47 deck and a craftsman sleeve hitch that I grade the driveway with.

Id rather not go the snowblower route again and was wondering if a 758 will handle the snow of a minnesota winter.

I've also read that it's about $1300 to add a 3 pt and PTO so that's not too much.

The PTO would be used for a 3 pt sprayer and I'd like to use a box blade to level the driveway and grade sections of my lawn.

Would this be too much to ask from this lawn tractor, or should I consider other options?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
I'd be hesitant to call a 758 a "lawn tractor".

People do more than what you're asking with much smaller machines. Since you say you don't want to go the blower route, I'm assuming you'll go with a plow? A 758 can certainly do that. It's more a matter of the amount of time and where you have to put the snow.

If someone is in an area with a lot of snow, then as long as you can push the snowbanks back off of the driveway, you are usually good to go. When I lived up in Northern Maine, we used to plow all the way across the yard early in the season. As the winter went on, the entire yard would end up 6' high in snow. If you made the mistake of just pushing to the edge of the driveway for the first couple of storms you were sunk after that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'd be hesitant to call a 758 a "lawn tractor".

People do more than what you're asking with much smaller machines. Since you say you don't want to go the blower route, I'm assuming you'll go with a plow? A 758 can certainly do that. It's more a matter of the amount of time and where you have to put the snow.

If someone is in an area with a lot of snow, then as long as you can push the snowbanks back off of the driveway, you are usually good to go. When I lived up in Northern Maine, we used to plow all the way across the yard early in the season. As the winter went on, the entire yard would end up 6' high in snow. If you made the mistake of just pushing to the edge of the driveway for the first couple of storms you were sunk after that.
Correct it would be with a plow.

I called it a lawn tractor to make a point that it's not a SCUT.

I have plenty of area to push the snow and have thought about that, we sometimes get some really wet snow and I'm not sure if it will be an issue with pushing it? We get an average of 40" of snow.

If anybody here uses a 54" front blade how many weights have you used?

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an x758 and it's a great machine and the reason I chose it was because I didn't need a 3pt or rear pto since I already have a 4120 cut. Since you want a 3 pt hitch w/pto you're going to be in the same price range and possibly slightly less cost getting a scut. I looked really hard at both options before I purchased my x758, but if I planned on having a 3 pt hitch to run implements on it would have been a no brainer for me to get a scut.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have an x758 and it's a great machine and the reason I chose it was because I didn't need a 3pt or rear pto since I already have a 4120 cut. Since you want a 3 pt hitch w/pto you're going to be in the same price range and possibly slightly less cost getting a scut. I looked really hard at both options before I purchased my x758, but if I planned on having a 3 pt hitch to run implements on it would have been a no brainer for me to get a scut.
I would be on board with BigCSS here. The 3-point operation of the SCUT is much more usable than on the X. On the X Series, there is no "in-between" settings for the 3-point. It is either all the way up or all the way down. With the 1 Series, you can adjust and hold the 3-point at any level within its travel limit. That will be much better for a blade operation or any other implement you want on back.

·
Premium Member
14,106 Posts
I would be on board with BigCSS here. The 3-point operation of the SCUT is much more usable than on the X. On the X Series, there is no "in-between" settings for the 3-point. It is either all the way up or all the way down. With the 1 Series, you can adjust and hold the 3-point at any level within its travel limit. That will be much better for a blade operation or any other implement you want on back.
Correct buying the 1025r not the 1023e..

From what I'm reading and what you intend to do and the price of a x758 versus 1023e ,may be $50.00 cheaper . Having a x will do what you are wanting to do .But you will be limited to class 0 attachments can not use class 1 attachments. With x series you have a gas engine , and single speed for transaxle. For series 1 you have the choice of Low or High range ,saves tearing out the transaxle doing some things you shouldn't have been doing.
You have a diesel uses less fuel doing the same job as your gas engine.
I have owned both, just finished mowing with a x585 (not mine) I prefer the 1025r hands down.

My advice, go to a dealer , try both , the attachments you want, try them if you can. Over the past 15 yrs I seen a lot of people go and buy a smaller machine and within 6mo to a yr they are sorry and buying the bigger machine.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

From what I'm reading and what you intend to do and the price of a x758 versus 1023e ,may be $50.00 cheaper . Having a x will do what you are wanting to do .But you will be limited to class 0 attachments can not use class 1 attachments x's have a cat 1 hitches With x series you have a gas engine you can get diesel, and single speed for transaxle. For series 1 you have the choice of Low or High range ,saves tearing out the transaxle doing some things you shouldn't have been doing.
I have owned both, just finished mowing with a x585 (not mine) I prefer the 1025r hands down.

My advice, go to a dealer , try both , the attachments you want, try them if you can. Over the past 15 yrs I seen a lot of people go and buy a smaller machine and within 6mo to a yr they are sorry and buying the bigger machine.
Just my 2 cents.
red mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all.

is there any way to add position controll to a 3 point so there's more options than all the way up or down? Can it still apply down pressure?

It wouldn't bother me to use a box blade and then finish it with a drag mat for leveling.

I want a tractor with a diesel as these motors are good for about 5000 hours.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

From what I'm reading and what you intend to do and the price of a x758 versus 1023e ,may be $50.00 cheaper . Having a x will do what you are wanting to do .But you will be limited to class 0 attachments can not use class 1 attachments x's have a cat 1 hitches With x series you have a gas engine you can get diesel, and single speed for transaxle. For series 1 you have the choice of Low or High range ,saves tearing out the transaxle doing some things you shouldn't have been doing.

Just my 2 cents.
red mine.
:repost: sorry about that.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
How much snow and drifting do you get? I dont see a plow on a small tractor working very well in deep snow. I have a 1026R and would not be without a snow blower for the drifts I get.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Thank you all.

is there any way to add position controll to a 3 point so there's more options than all the way up or down? Can it still apply down pressure?

It wouldn't bother me to use a box blade and then finish it with a drag mat for leveling.

I want a tractor with a diesel as these motors are good for about 5000 hours.
What is it about the 1-series that you don't like? It seems like your needs map directly to the 1-series.

Tim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much snow and drifting do you get? I dont see a plow on a small tractor working very well in deep snow. I have a 1026R and would not be without a snow blower for the drifts I get.
We dont get much drifting. I could plow it far enough out from the driveway that drifting shouldn't be an issue.

What is it about the 1-series that you don't like? It seems like your needs map directly to the 1-series.

Tim
Trying to avoid the ROPS and Turning radius. I like to stripe my lawn, not sure how well the turn around will be on both ends.

·
Premium Member
14,106 Posts

From what I'm reading and what you intend to do and the price of a x758 versus 1023e ,may be $50.00 cheaper . Having a x will do what you are wanting to do .But you will be limited to class 0 attachments can not use class 1 attachments. With x series you have a gas engine , and single speed for transaxle. For series 1 you have the choice of Low or High range ,saves tearing out the transaxle doing some things you shouldn't have been doing.

Just my 2 cents.
But you will be limited to class 0 attachments can not use class 1 attachments. With x series you have a gas engine , and single speed for transaxle.

Should read,
With x series limited to class 0 attachments and you can not use class 1 attachments . With x758 it is diesel , should have looked thought it was GAS
With the x series only transaxle where with Series 1 you get Low and High range.

·
Premium Member
14,106 Posts
I'll head to the dealer tomorrow and see for myself how the 1 series turns. If it's not too bad I think I'll go that route.
The series 1 will turn just as sharp as the x series or sharper. With x series it is in 4wd when needed, with series 1 you lock it in 4wd only when needed.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Trying to avoid the ROPS and Turning radius.
The top of the ROPS is removable.

I'm impressed with the turning radius. It wouldn't be as tight as the AWS x7 tractor, but you weren't looking at the AWS versions anyway.

I thought I wanted an x749. I'm glad I went with the 1-series. Much more flexibility. One "circle" in the dealer's lot was all it took to convince me.

If you haven't seen them, check out some of my videos of fun projects with the 1025r. Most of these would not be possible with the x700 series.
Tim's video collection

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The top of the ROPS is removable.

I'm impressed with the turning radius. It wouldn't be as tight as the AWS x7 tractor, but you weren't looking at the AWS versions anyway.

I thought I wanted an x749. I'm glad I went with the 1-series. Much more flexibility. One "circle" in the dealer's lot was all it took to convince me.

If you haven't seen them, check out some of my videos of fun projects with the 1025r. Most of these would not be possible with the x700 series.
Tim's video collection
I've been watching tons of videos on YouTube, but I still can't seem to find somebody that stripes with a 1 series to see how well it cuts/stripes.

Correct I'm interested in plowing so I wanted the 4wd. The snow always seems to bring multi direction wind and I'm getting tired of it blown back into the face when it's below 0. We only have about 5-10 real snowstorms, if it's more than 4in I'll remove it, other than that I pack it down with my semi.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Unless you use a striping kit on your 212, based on your picture, the 1 Series should do just as good. Although there is no striping kit for the 1 or 2 series decks, they do pretty well. I cut with a 2520 with s 62D and it will do a fantastic job with sharp blades and cutting a little high. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts