Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone has a parts diagram for the rockshaft & cylinder assembly on a x758?
My deck would not raise fully, so I removed the deck and got under the tractor.
One of the bushings and retaining clips were missing from the cylinder rod end/rockshaft connection.
I'll be replacing those items tonight and hopefully that takes care of the deck lift issue.
While under there, I noticed that the cylinder is only held in place with a u-bolt.
I'm wondering if this is normal.
There is a rear mounting lug on the cylinder, but it is not attached to anything.

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
From jd parts

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From jd parts
Thanks Zebrafive.
I guess that's normal.
I don't understand why there isn't a mounting point for that lug on the rear of the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Thanks Zebrafive.
I guess that's normal.
I don't understand why there isn't a mounting point for that lug on the rear of the cylinder.
I believe it is that way because if a 3 point hitch is installed, the cylinder gets relocated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe it is that way because if a 3 point hitch is installed, the cylinder gets relocated.
That makes sense! Thank you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It costs less to rigid mount the cylinder and run hard lines to it. No flexible hoses, no rear rockshaft and no strap.
There's nothing like smashing a cylinder with a muffler clamp to save a dime!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It costs less to rigid mount the cylinder and run hard lines to it. No flexible hoses, no rear rockshaft and no strap.
There's nothing like smashing a cylinder with a muffler clamp to save a dime!
After spending more time on this issue, the u-bolt is the culprit in my opinion. This tractor only has 7 hours on it and the deck had never been installed, as I had the snow blower installed on it when I purchased it. After replacing the pin bushing and re-installing the deck, it still would not lift past 3-1/4". I removed the deck again and looked at the cylinder location. It seemed that it was mounted too far forward. I loosened the u-bolt, moved it back some, tightened the u-bolt tight enough to hold the cylinder in place, but hopefully not enough to smash the cylinder body! Put it all back together and everything is working as it should. My concern is how long before that cylinder slides forward again? If it just had a solid mount for the rear lug, all of this could be avoided.

·
Registered
43 Posts
After spending more time on this issue, the u-bolt is the culprit in my opinion. This tractor only has 7 hours on it and the deck had never been installed, as I had the snow blower installed on it when I purchased it. After replacing the pin bushing and re-installing the deck, it still would not lift past 3-1/4". I removed the deck again and looked at the cylinder location. It seemed that it was mounted too far forward. I loosened the u-bolt, moved it back some, tightened the u-bolt tight enough to hold the cylinder in place, but hopefully not enough to smash the cylinder body! Put it all back together and everything is working as it should. My concern is how long before that cylinder slides forward again? If it just had a solid mount for the rear lug, all of this could be avoided.
I agree I think JD missed the mark on this one. You're counting on a cheesy U-bolt to lift a pretty heavy deck. Fortunately, I have a 3 point which means the cylinder is spun around and uses a large pin into a frame boss to hold the cylinder. Of course this means they charge 3 hours labor to install the 3 point. Not a design I'd be proud of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts