Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I’ve a brand new snowblower going on the x758.
Any tips on using it? Apart from the 2 or 3 grease zerks on the PTO is there anything else you guys maintain or spray liquid grease or silicone spray on the chain or anything?

Are these things clog free in heavy wet snow or are they prone to clogging? I compare to my Honda 928 tracked snowblower that is my gold standard beast so I’m happy to compare....will this be an upgrade?

Also, how many suitcase weights should I get for the rear? I have the click and go system, and I will also be getting a plow.

Thanks as always!!

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Yes lube the chain annually.

Change front gearbox oil every few years.

As for weight, with 2wd 200lbs makes a big difference, 400 makes it a tank. With 4wd I’d probably just fluid fill the tires.

They rarely clog. I don’t know if I’ve ever done it and I get wet sloppy snow. Your gold standard is about to raise the bar.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
As mentioned, grease the zerks on the driveshaft and auger shafts and check gearbox lube level annually.

Also, before installing the SB roll it forward so the drive end is up. Check the chain for proper adjustment and soak the chain and sprockets with JD Chain & Cable lubricant.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Hey guys,
Any tips on using it? Apart from the 2 or 3 grease zerks on the PTO is there anything else you guys maintain or spray liquid grease or silicone spray on the chain or anything?

Are these things clog free in heavy wet snow or are they prone to clogging? I compare to my Honda 928 tracked snowblower that is my gold standard beast so I’m happy to compare....will this be an upgrade?

Also, how many suitcase weights should I get for the rear? I have the click and go system, and I will also be getting a plow.

Thanks as always!!
I have a 928 and a 47” blower on my X748.

The thoughts above on maintenance are great and I can’t add anything more.

I think the 928 is the gold standard, and the 47” is too. We don’t get a lot of heavy wet snow but when we do, both machines work well. I don’t have any pictures showing the distance of the throw. I have put in a couple of photos of the depth of snow they’ve had no problems with. The side by side photo was taken when the 928 was pressed into action because a shear bolt was sheared on the 47”—you can see the snow buildup of the non working side :lol:

I have a basket that hangs off the back of the X748 that has approx. 150 lbs in it and works well for me.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks as always!!
Don't forget about greasing your x758 itself. The zerk under the fuel tank for the driveshaft u-joint, the front end for the pivot point, and one on each tie rod. You might have one on each steering cylinder end, I don't however.

Click n go bracket allows you to hold (6) 42lbs suitcase weights, equals 252lbs. I have always used fluid film on the inside of my snowblower chutes and auger area. It helps to deter rust and act as a film for snow to slide.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
I use to run six suitcase weight On the X485/X748. This Year I am going to Just try two 72Lb wheel weights and Leave all My suit case weights On my Heavy Hitch on the 2025R:bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Not much need for a plow since you have a snowblower. As for weight and traction, I use four suitcase weights on the back of mine and it works great. I don't have much for inclines but I have a buddy with an x748 that is set up about the same and he blows several steep driveways and doesn't need chains. The AWD is really amazing when paired with the HDAP tires.

Snowblower maintenance is covered well above. Nothing too difficult.

Make sure the 'feet' on your blower are adjusted well for the driveway you have. They make a big difference in how the blower works, especially if your driveway isn't just nice, smooth asphalt/concrete. And check them regularly... One side on mine likes to loosen up and move from time to time. Lastly, remember that when switching from mower to blower you need to turn the diverter valve (located near the SCV hose connections) the opposite way so full fluid flow will get to the blower. In summer position the fluid goes mainly to the mower deck lift arms.

And I'll throw out my pet peeve with the blower design on these units: The 2-stage system works nowhere near as nicely as the single stage on my old 345 did. In many snow conditions I get a bunch of snow overflowing out the sides of the blower (yes, even when trying to go slowly) and at the end of a swath there is always a mound of snow left at the center of the blower. Like this:

Overall the system works well, just not to my original expectation. I give the tractor an A+ and the blower a C grade. Enjoy your new snow moving monster!

Rob

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks as always!!
Don't forget to grease the shafts on both augers. Also if you are mechanically inclined, take the blower apart and put antisieze on the impeller shaft, as they have a tendency to sieze with rust.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts