Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a small enclosed trailer, I believe its a 6x9, that I borrow from my uncle every winter to cart my Harley around town with, and I want to set up my x758 to move the trailer around my property with a ball hitch instead of having to use my pickup truck or just brute strength every time. I see what looks to be a receiver slot in the front frame of my tractor, one of the small car sized ones. 1 1/4" I think? Is that what that square slot is for? Or is that for something else or nothing at all? Even if it was, is that front frame and axle design beefy enough to be taking the tongue weight of a trailer that size? I know the tongue weight is minimal, but I'll be at some point pushing this trailer up to my house over snow and some kind of rough terrain, so it's going to put some stress up there. As far as using the rear to hitch up, is that plate frame work strong enough I could just install a ball on it and hook the trailer up? Or is there a beefier bolt on frame hitch solution I should be looking into? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
6shooter,

The front receiver is there for mounting a winch and other accessories, I believe. I suppose you could use it for a small receiver type "stinger" and a ball compatible with your cargo trailer. I have used my X495 to move my cargo trailer that is tandem axle and much larger than yours, but ALWAYS limit any maneuvers to nearly level ground as the braking of the combined vehicle weight is more of an issue than pulling power. I have never tried using the little front receiver tube in this way as I had a load lifter from Al Z Welding that has a 2 inch receiver built in...

Of course you are correct to question the front weight load capacity of your tractor (and the rating of your little front tires...) You also mention "pushing" the trailer -- is this because of space limitations? Pull the trailer as much as possible and back it only when absolutely necessary when you are moving it around. Here is a picture or two of my setup and the enclosed cargo trailer:
Cargo trailer and x495.JPG may 13, 2012 004.JPG may 13, 2012 005.JPG

I had a 'frame squeezer' on the front of my X495 to allow the use of attachments from my older Deere tractors, and that blocked the access to the little front receiver. I did send an e-mail suggestion to Al Z that a clearance for it in the frame adapter would be something to consider in future builds...maybe it has been incorporated by now.
x495 frame squeezer.jpg x495 frame squeezer top.jpg

Hope this helps...

Chuck

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Yes, that slot will accept a hitch. I use one on my x748 all the time for moving my hay conveyor. It's a whole lot easier pushing it into place from the front than backing it around. The rear will accept a hitch too, and that's what I use cuz it gets the ball back and raises it up more as opposed to the "hole" for the drawbar.
As far as the stresses, all I can say is that I've absolutely tortured my x748 for 8 years and 1200 hours with no drivetrain issues.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking I'll measure up my rear mount and maybe make something at work for a ball. Obviously the rear end is more ideal than the front for carrying a load, but it's still just relatively thin metal back there that would be supporting the weight. I would be mostly pulling the trailer around, but the get my trailer squared up to the front door of the house to drive my Harley into, I'd eventually have to push it into place by jackknifing it.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking I'll measure up my rear mount and maybe make something at work for a ball. Obviously the rear end is more ideal than the front for carrying a load, but it's still just relatively thin metal back there that would be supporting the weight.
You would get better support by using a standard 1 1/4 inch hitch in back. You shouldn't have to fab anything, just slide it in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would get better support by using a standard 1 1/4 inch hitch in back. You shouldn't have to fab anything, just slide it in.
Ill have to look again but im pretty sure there's no receiver in the rear.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Ill have to look again but im pretty sure there's no receiver in the rear.
Sorry for the mis information...
Thinking back, it was a bolt on option for my x748.
Maybe the same part would fit on the 758.
The part number for mine is BM20877
0001582747____________A1.jpg

·
Registered
754 Posts
They try using 700X tractors to move 40,000# machines where my SON works. Not as bad as it sounds, the machines roll. If they try too hard the shop gets pretty smokey with tire smoke. But if the floor is dry, no oil, they can move them. They've worn out several sets of tires but no repairs needed to any of the tractors yet.

The engines go to wide open as soon as they sputter and start, and are shut off from wide open as the skid to a stop. Some of the tractors are four plus years old.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Powerstroke,

I agree, as tugs they can do amazing things. The little Deere tractors can move quite large loads if those loads are on wheels, are level and have support for almost all of the tongue weight on a dolly wheel and not on the tractor itself. As I have said above -- STOPPING all of that load is the major concern. Here is a picture of what can be done with a single cylinder 14 HP Kohler...up to each operator to determine what SHOULD be done...
314 towing big boat.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Sorry for the mis information...
Thinking back, it was a bolt on option for my x748.
Maybe the same part would fit on the 758.
The part number for mine is BM20877
View attachment 39263

I have the similar 2 inch receiver tube that I got from KBOH that I am trying to find the right U-bolts for it so I can bolt it onto my drawbar on my 4066R. I may also have to use a plate and bolts if the U-bolt does not work out or I am unable to find the right bolts. I had added the 2 inch receiver to my 1025R and like the ease of switching.

Dave

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have a couple solutions that might help you. The first is a simple bolt on 2" receiever and the second is a 3/8" reinforcement plate as well as a 2" receiver:
View attachment 39283
View attachment 39284
They aren't on our website yet, but the small hitch is $59 + shipping and the large one is $109 + shipping. PM me if you're interested!
I like the simple bolt on 2" because I'd still have access to the hole for simple lawn carts and such. But I like the beefiness of the reinforced hitch. Prices sound very reasonable, they come with hardware? I'm almost afraid to ask what shipping is, as they've gotta be kind of on the heavy side, at least for the reinforced one. Shipping to 14020?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I like the simple bolt on 2" because I'd still have access to the hole for simple lawn carts and such. But I like the beefiness of the reinforced hitch. Prices sound very reasonable, they come with hardware? I'm almost afraid to ask what shipping is, as they've gotta be kind of on the heavy side, at least for the reinforced one. Shipping to 14020?
I never use the "hole" I just use a hitch all the time. It gets the hitch point back a little bit, and a little higher. I think the smaller one is many times stronger than what the tractor could handle anyway.
I think a 2" receiver is a little overkill too. The factory one is 1.25" but it's about the same price.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A 2" would be ideal since I already have like 3 2" hitches laying around, I'd just have to find one with the best height for the trailer and then get a ball. I'll shoot you a PM, Heavy Hitch, and go from there.

·
Registered
754 Posts
CHUCK - Not hard to stop these 40,000# machines. Just stop pulling! Parasitic drag from six tires, hyd motors and the rest of the drive train stops it within inches as soon as you stop pulling.

It's not like they get the machine moving very fast, it's only a couple feet, 3-5, per minute.

I've been running garden tractors and all manner of full size tractors and trucks for 55 years. I know what they can and can't do. My big o/t garden tractor is comparable to a JD 420, even has the same Onan B48g engine early 420's had. I regularly pull 3000+# loads of rock and dirt with it in my Pronevost P503 dump cart. I could pull larger loads if the cart was up to the task. I pull it off a home made hitch plate bolted to my sleeve hitch adapter on the cat 0 3-pt. With the hitch point that far back the front does get a little light sometimes, steers easier, but much handier to back into tight places.

Neat thing about a 3-pt hitch mounted drawbar is you can hook and go without getting off the tractor. My buddy stored his tandem axle trailer at my place one summer. When I'd mow I could back under the coupler with a double-nutted carriage bolt in the drawbar, raise the 3-pt and move the trailer anywhere. 3-4 years ago my SON had the tractor for the summer and he moved his jet ski all the time with the tractor. Only time it got hooked to his truck was when he went to the river to ride.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
A 2" would be ideal since I already have like 3 2" hitches laying around, I'd just have to find one with the best height for the trailer and then get a ball. I'll shoot you a PM, Heavy Hitch, and go from there.
One advantage of the 1.25 is you can use the same hitch on the front and the rear of the tractor.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
We have a couple solutions that might help you. The first is a simple bolt on 2" receiever and the second is a 3/8" reinforcement plate as well as a 2" receiver:
View attachment 39283
View attachment 39284
They aren't on our website yet, but the small hitch is $59 + shipping and the large one is $109 + shipping. PM me if you're interested!
Are they designed to mount as you have them laid out in the picture, or on the underside of the frame?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts