Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you help me diagnose 2013 JD X758 400 hours transaxle problem ? I was mowing and PTO disengaged then it would no longer go forward and reverse. I was about a quart low on fluid. I bought the tractor used and have not had the chance to change fluid everything was working so I put the tractor to use. 2 days after the problem I changed the fluid and filter. Forward and reverse is interment and still can not get pto to come on. For the the forward and reverse I was thinking replace directional control valves, they are able to depress but still not getting forward or reverse. The linkage moves and does not seem to be the problem To fix the pto I was going to replace the solenoid . If that does not work I am thinking charge pump. I do not think the pto is electrical because the seat switch and break switch work plus I get the light on dash so to me the circuit is complete. I would like your opinion on the matter.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You need the factory service manual to properly diagnose the problem. Do not rule out an electrical problem, you need to verify the Voltage at the PTO Solenoid wheh it is connected. Continuity will NOT prove the circuit. Think of it like this, a 10 gauge wire and a single strand if wire will both show good continuity and should lead you to the conclusion there is nothing wrong. Now try and pass a couple of amps of current through the wires to maybe operate the solenoid and see what happens. The 10 gauge will have no issue, but the single wire strand if it doesn't burn out will cause a massive voltage drop. Poor connections at the circuit plugs, switch or relay contacts will act the same as the single strand of wire showing good continuity, but will drop the voltage when trying to power the PTO Solenoid. In other words, you need to check for the proper voltage at each point along the circuit. Only a wiring diagram will show those points and where they are. I know the manuals for my 445 and 1026R are invaluable for me in fixing any electrical problems I have had in the past and most of them have been faulty relays or dirty plugs with the relays being the major problem.

·
Registered
13,355 Posts
I’m betting the implement relief valve is either stuck or the spring broke

·
Registered
13,355 Posts
Should I just take it off and inspect spring ? Not much in the technical manual
The spring cover is accessible when the fender is off and the fuel tank is rotated out of the way. You’ll see the 2 drive relief valves with the implement relief valve squeezed in between them. Most people pull a drive one to get more clearance around the IRV but I have had good luck just going at it.

Make sure you clean the area well before removal. I recommend lots of brushing. You don’t want dirt falling down in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Before you start pulling parts did you purge the air out of the system like manual describes? Did the old oil have dark color or smell burn? Was it the proper tranny filter used? Did you put low viscosity hygard back in? Have you checked to make sure the free wheel lever isnt on or forward and reverse check valves are up and not stuck down? Did you go to tuff torqs website and get there basic repair manual? They have a what to look for if its doing this or that in the back. The pto may have a electric solenoid turn it on off but its hydraulically powered inside. I attached the pdf from tuff torq below.
Also here is a link to there site for purging air.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before you start pulling parts did you purge the air out of the system like manual describes? Did the old oil have dark color or smell burn? Was it the proper tranny filter used? Did you put low viscosity hygard back in? Have you checked to make sure the free wheel lever isnt on or forward and reverse check valves are up and not stuck down? Did you go to tuff torqs website and get there basic repair manual? They have a what to look for if its doing this or that in the back. The pto may have a electric solenoid turn it on off but its hydraulically powered inside. I attached the pdf from tuff torq below.
Also here is a link to there site for purging air.
The old fluid was dark but did not smell burnt ... I have done the Air purge seems to work while doing it but once I complete I get the same limp forward and reverse pedal the forward pedal will shutter then spin. I used OEM recommended filter and Low viscosity hygard. The air purge helped the steering. I can press the forward and reverse valves up and down they do not get stuck. I am using the tuff Torq manual but might break down and get the JD technical manual.

·
Registered
13,355 Posts
The old fluid was dark but did not smell burnt ... I have done the Air purge seems to work while doing it but once I complete I get the same limp forward and reverse pedal the forward pedal will shutter then spin. I used OEM recommended filter and Low viscosity hygard. The air purge helped the steering. I can press the forward and reverse valves up and down they do not get stuck. I am using the tuff Torq manual but might break down and get the JD technical manual.
You can get a pressure gauge fairly cheap and test pressure on one of the remote ports. If the irv is malfunctioning you will see low pressure everywhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The spring cover is accessible when the fender is off and the fuel tank is rotated out of the way. You’ll see the 2 drive relief valves with the implement relief valve squeezed in between them. Most people pull a drive one to get more clearance around the IRV but I have had good luck just going at it.

Make sure you clean the area well before removal. I recommend lots of brushing. You don’t want dirt falling down in.
I checked the IRV it was good the spring in tack washer shims and rubber looked good nothing blocking the whole !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make any head way?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts