Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or does anyone else have a hard time re-installing their drive over deck? I can take it off no problem, but when I go to drive back over it, it slides all over and I end up having my wife drive the mower while I jam my foot at the front of the deck to keep it in place. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? Am I doing something wrong? I'm doing it on the blacktop, should I do it on the grass? Any input is welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is it just me, or does anyone else have a hard time re-installing their drive over deck? I can take it off no problem, but when I go to drive back over it, it slides all over and I end up having my wife drive the mower while I jam my foot at the front of the deck to keep it in place. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? Am I doing something wrong? I'm doing it on the blacktop, should I do it on the grass? Any input is welcome and appreciated. Thanks.
I remove my deck in the shop as that is the place my tools are . (an inside) I have a rubber mat to put under the deck first it works well . Yes all the John Deere Demos show the deck being removed on the grass (in the front yard) Most people do not park the deck out side in there yard . The auto connect is ok not great but I do not store my deck out side no one does .
If you have two wheel drive you back over it The four wheel Drive can drive over but it is better to back over (less pushing)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remove my deck in the shop as that is the place my tools are . (an inside) I have a rubber mat to put under the deck first it works well . Yes all the John Deere Demos show the deck being removed on the grass (in the front yard) Most people do not park the deck out side in there yard . The auto connect is ok not great but I do not store my deck out side no one does .
If you have two wheel drive you back over it The four wheel Drive can drive over but it is better to back over (less pushing)
I never thought about putting a rubber mat under it. I'm sure that would help a lot! My X738 is AWD, so I usually drive forward over it, but I'll have to try reverse and see how that goes for me. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

You could have your wife hold the deck with her foot while you drive the tractor. lol
Really I'm just jealous because I have to drag my deck out from the side. lol

Have heard about using a horse stall mat to put under the deck. Seems to be a problem with the drive over desks no matter what tractor you have. When doing it on a hard surface anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could have your wife hold the deck with her foot while you drive the tractor. lol
Really I'm just jealous because I have to drag my deck out from the side. lol

Have heard about using a horse stall mat to put under the deck. Seems to be a problem with the drive over desks no matter what tractor you have. When doing it on a hard surface anyway.
Ha, that's pretty good. I still like my wife though, maybe in a few years...:laugh:

The horse stall mat or similar is what I think I'll check out from Tractor Supply.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Like the guys here said use some rubber under it. I have three small pieces of drawer liner I use. Also make sure your autoconnect is adjusted to the right height so it lines up good. Mine was off some when I got it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ditto on the rubber mat, I'm using an exercise mat picked up at Costco.

Also helps if you have a little grease on the coupler splines, draft arm contact points and latch. Mine slides right on since I've been doing that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you use a rubber mat it will need to be thin as the Gear case is tall and may not have room for the lift arms .
Good idea to use the back wheel lock also
Every time I see the JD add on TV I wonder how people put the deck in the yard and why .

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
You would think by now Deere would've had two of the gauge wheels lock sideways so it slide.

·
Premium Member
14,714 Posts
I've found trying to install the deck on the x738, I use the traction assistant pedal. Without using traction assist deck slides all over the concrete floor.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I use a 4x4 with a 2x4 in front of it, making sorta ramp. it climbs right up it. Once the front wheels are on top of the deck, get off and remove the wood and proceed the rest of the way over the deck. I have used this method with 2 and 4 wheel drive X700's.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use a 4x4 with a 2x4 in front of it, making sorta ramp. it climbs right up it. Once the front wheels are on top of the deck, get off and remove the wood and proceed the rest of the way over the deck. I have used this method with 2 and 4 wheel drive X700's.
This seems like the cheapest option that will work well. Thanks! I like it!

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I Have found as previously stated back awhile ago when I take mine off and put it back on I use a 2x laid on its side in front of the deck and up against my work bench and it stays put. tied it once on my cement floor and was glad I have a backhoe so I could pick up the 738 and slide the deck back out before I ruined it! That works for me and the 2X is also for my snowblower when I put it on saw horses using my 2 post lift to clean or work on it before the snow season... I like things that are at waist level and not on the floor to work on... You will never see an ad for the drive over deck on asphalt or cement because the grass holds the deck in place, but as stated, who does this in their yard??? And yes, grease on the splines does help a lot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts