Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another successful Xmas Prime Rib. I keep changing the rub I put on every year. Everyone wants me to stick with this years recipe. Before and after pics.

Attachments

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
You can’t post those pictures and then not share the rub recipe!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simple 1-cup Real Butter, softened.
5 cloves garlic-minced
1- Tablespoon thyme, Finley chopped
1- Tablespoon oregano, finely chopped
1- Tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped
1- Tablespoon Salt
1- Teaspoon fresh ground preppier
1- Teaspoon onion powder.

Rub all over about an hour before you put in oven. Which I leave it out of fridge an hour to get it close to room temp.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
Simple 1-cup Real Butter, softened.
5 cloves garlic-minced
1- Tablespoon thyme, Finley chopped
1- Tablespoon oregano, finely chopped
1- Tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped
1- Tablespoon Salt
1- Teaspoon fresh ground preppier
1- Teaspoon onion powder.

Rub all over about an hour before you put in oven. Which I leave it out of fridge an hour to get it close to room temp.
I’ll give a try in a few weeks when I pick up my steers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
446 Posts
We did a Christmas prime rib as well. This year's weighed in at 17.5#
Here it is after 6 hours in the smoker at about 225°F
Prime Rib 6 hours.jpg

And again after a 1 hour sear at 400°F
Prime Rib done.jpg
I didn't remember to take pics of it sliced though.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
My MIL did a bone in prime ribs, while it was good it was well done, not to my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
My MIL did a bone in prime ribs, while it was good it was well done, not to my taste.

Prime Rids need to be Medium Rare 130/135 internal. Some time try the 500 rule. Put it in 500 degree oven for 5 minutes per pound then turn oven off but leave it closed for 2 hours. Take it out rest it for 30 minutes slice and enjoy. When you turn oven off DO NOT open it to peak.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
Prime Rids need to be Medium Rare 130/135 internal. Some time try the 500 rule. Put it in 500 degree oven for 5 minutes per pound then turn oven off but leave it closed for 2 hours. Take it out rest it for 30 minutes slice and enjoy. When you turn oven off DO NOT open it to peak.
My cousin & I use the 500 rule, not my MIL... I don’t wait 30 min though, it’s been resting for 2 hours already.
I’m not sure if she sat the meat out to bring it to room temp either.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I set it out to try to get it room temp. Then goes in at 450 for 20 minutes then turn down to 325 for 15 minutes a pound. Pull out and tent with foil for at least 20 minutes. This way also lets us put potatoes and other things into oven.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
My wife fixed prime rib for Christmas Eve for the 2 of us. It was very good, but I no longer ask how she prepares any kind of food.
I found out years ago that if I raved on how good something was that she prepared & asked how she did it, She would either never fix it again or it would be a very long time before she fixed it again.
If I would say I did not care for it, she seemed to fix it often. So I just simply say it was good or say nothing.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Did a 5 bone rib for family with a simple rub of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, clove and maybe a couple of other things I saw on spice rack. Used the 450 deg at 20 minutes then instant thermometer for temp to 135. Was delicious I'm lousy at pictures so this doesn't do it justice

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
We did a Christmas prime rib as well. This year's weighed in at 17.5#
Here it is after 6 hours in the smoker at about 225°F

And again after a 1 hour sear at 400°F

I didn't remember to take pics of it sliced though.
I don't know what you guys pay for Prime Rib, but I would have to skip a house payment for something like that. I bought a Choice bone in rib roast for New Years; about 8# ON SALE; it was nearly $70.00. Was perusing the rib roasts at our regular grocery store...which by the way has best prices in the county...some were as much as $120.00 for one that size. But what-ta-hey...it's only one day a year!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Did a 5 bone rib for family with a simple rub of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, clove and maybe a couple of other things I saw on spice rack. Used the 450 deg at 20 minutes then instant thermometer for temp to 135. Was delicious I'm lousy at pictures so this doesn't do it justice
My go to rub for prime rib:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
I set it out to try to get it room temp. Then goes in at 450 for 20 minutes then turn down to 325 for 15 minutes a pound. Pull out and tent with foil for at least 20 minutes. This way also lets us put potatoes and other things into oven.
That is my time schedule and it works great for a medium rare roast. I use your spices except I pick fresh herbs from the herb garden and apply the olive oil and rub the day before cooking. Cooked one on the 24th that was splendid and now tonight there are leftovers!:yahoo:

·
Registered
523 Posts
I don't know what you guys pay for Prime Rib, but I would have to skip a house payment for something like that. I bought a Choice bone in rib roast for New Years; about 8# ON SALE; it was nearly $70.00. Was perusing the rib roasts at our regular grocery store...which by the way has best prices in the county...some were as much as $120.00 for one that size. But what-ta-hey...it's only one day a year!
Chris that's about what i paid for 11# which I think is a good price for that cut. And agree only for some special occasion

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some years we have butcher cut from our own cattle, but this year we bought it. Kroger and Meijer both had them on sale for $6.99 a pound.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yup. Strictly once a year for Christmas.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
When we were buying our roast, I asked the Kroger butcher if he was having one since they were $6.99
He said, NOPE, even at that price, he could not bring himself to spend that much money,,

but, he did say, he was POSITIVE Kroger was loosing money on the rib roasts at that price,,

they had been instructed not to "push" the rib roasts,,, :dunno:
There were only two out when we got ours,,, :flag_of_truce:

He also said, if you do not have a GOOD meat thermometer,, do not even buy the roast,,
the thermometer is necessary, or you will ruin it,,,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts