Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my 865M. Because i have the factory cab it came with the front cab wiring harness. I'd like to install some work lights but i cant figure out how the wiring harness works. The wires for the lights are right there but I don't have a work light switch.

If I got the switch are the switch wires behind the dash ready to simply plug in?

Also, does anyone know the type of connectors that the work light harness uses? They are gray and small but I've never seen them before.

And to answer someone else's question about "park", on the diesel you don't have to put the gator in Neutral to get out. If you are on flat ground and in "H", the gator stops and sits idle. You can jump out, do what you need to do, jump back in and hit the gas. No shifting required.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,668 Posts
BTW, Welcome to GTT :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a big big help!

They make it seem like its plug and play but it really isnt.

Im happy to answer any 865 questions you guys might have

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,668 Posts
Thats a big big help!

They make it seem like its plug and play but it really isnt.
I just did an extra light deal on our XUV560.
You should have knockouts for additional switches. Unless you are like a member here on GTT (BigJim55) as he may not cause it got EVERY option known to man. :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did get many of the options but not all. I got the factory cab, HVAC, tilt bed, black and olive trim and of course the floor mats.

I wasn't about to pay almost $400 for two work lights though.

FYI, the cab is so tight that i have to really slam the doors to get them closed. Might have to leave a window cracked to let the air out.

Oh and the seatbelt alarm is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Are you talking about the wiring at the brushguard or on the top of the cab? I had to buy the xtra wiring harnesses since mine was a 835M to take care of the cab harnesses for the front and back of the cab. The lights I bought had 2 rows of leds, one row normal lights the bottom row were amber. Put a relay on the bottom row on the front and back of the cab lights. They now are my hazard lights while pushing snow.

As far as the switch location there are about 5 or 6 push pins (at least that is what I call them) on the center panel on the dash, take them out and pull the dash cover off. You will see the rocker switch connections, there are 4 if I remember right. One for brushguard lights, one for work lights front, worklights rear, and one for a beacon. (I ordered some extra push pins since I normally mess them up when taking off, didn't this time though. Just use a small flat head screwdriver on each side and push up or down depending on location of pin)

As far as the light connections I just bypassed them and connected on the other side of the factory connector, didn't want to cut them off, so they would be available if needed.

Bottom picture are the hazard lights, they flash so the picture only took one side. Don't know how to attach a MOV file. So I couldn't show the lights flashing.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I did get many of the options but not all. I got the factory cab, HVAC, tilt bed, black and olive trim and of course the floor mats.

I wasn't about to pay almost $400 for two work lights though.

FYI, the cab is so tight that i have to really slam the doors to get them closed. Might have to leave a window cracked to let the air out.

Oh and the seatbelt alarm is ridiculous.
I jumpered out the seat belt alarm right away. Cracking open a window definitely makes shutting the door easier.
I’m glad to see another oil burner!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered one of those seat belt silencers. Basically a seat belt clip minus the belt.

I also figured out how the pre-wiring works. I wish it was a bit clearer in the manual or elsewhere as to what you need to do. I pulled off the center dash and right there are two switch connectors with a fog light symbol on them. Because I have the cab, my roof harness was already installed so all i need is a $22 switch from JD. i also ordered the "front attachment harness" which will give me the wires for the brush guard fog lights and horn. Ill likely order the "rear cab harness" at some point so i can install the rear work lights as well.

So far this thing is pretty amazing. It's actually taller than my Ram 1500. This thing is a beast. And the diesel version is very much like driving a tractor. High RPM's and slow movement. Feels like massive amounts of torque, but when you gun it it does get up to speed fairly quickly. Im glad I got the diesel. Will also make it easier with several diesel machines on the ranch.

I went with the black turf tires but i don't think thats going to work for me. At some point I'm going to have to order some ebay AT tires. Hopefully the Gator has a standard bolt pattern.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I just received my 865M. Because i have the factory cab it came with the front cab wiring harness. I'd like to install some work lights but i cant figure out how the wiring harness works. The wires for the lights are right there but I don't have a work light switch.

If I got the switch are the switch wires behind the dash ready to simply plug in?

Also, does anyone know the type of connectors that the work light harness uses? They are gray and small but I've never seen them before.

And to answer someone else's question about "park", on the diesel you don't have to put the gator in Neutral to get out. If you are on flat ground and in "H", the gator stops and sits idle. You can jump out, do what you need to do, jump back in and hit the gas. No shifting required.
Here's what i have concluded..
I installed a set of JD work lights on my gator. They are in fact made by Rigid but they use a smaller connecting plug than the standard Rigid line. JD sells the connecting harnesses as well. Bought the JD harness and switch box and all went together well.
The second set i bought i figured i would just buy the Rigid brand of driving lights and save a few bucks because they are the same lights. Well they are the same as the ones sold by JD except they have a larger plug that doesn't plug into factory JD harness. Luckily the Rigid light kit came with a harness. So i cut the small connectors off the factory JD harness and butt connected the larger connectors on and everything went together fine.:good2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The factory work light connectors are deutsch dtm06-2s

You can find the set on amazon and ebay. I bought a set of 5 for $15. I'll use the female on the new lights and if all goes well i should be able to plug them right into the factory harness (already installed with the cab) and drop in a switch and i should be set. I already have two switch connectors behind the rightmost switch panel. Im sure one is for the overhead work lights, not sure what the other one goes to. They both have the work light symbol on the connector harness.

Also, you can get replacement headlight switches from JD for $22. This way everything stays factory and looking nice. I couldn't find the "work-light/fog light" version of the switch though. It's similar but the light symbol points slightly down.

Headlight Switch for HPX, RSX and XUV Gators | Electrical | Replacement Parts | John Deere Maintenance Parts | Genuine Parts | John Deere products | JohnDeereStore

·
Premium Member
7,427 Posts
The factory work light connectors are deutsch dtm06-2s

You can find the set on amazon and ebay. I bought a set of 5 for $15. I'll use the female on the new lights and if all goes well i should be able to plug them right into the factory harness (already installed with the cab) and drop in a switch and i should be set. I already have two switch connectors behind the rightmost switch panel. Im sure one is for the overhead work lights, not sure what the other one goes to. They both have the work light symbol on the connector harness.

Also, you can get replacement headlight switches from JD for $22. This way everything stays factory and looking nice. I couldn't find the "work-light/fog light" version of the switch though. It's similar but the light symbol points slightly down.

Headlight Switch for HPX, RSX and XUV Gators | Electrical | Replacement Parts | John Deere Maintenance Parts | Genuine Parts | John Deere products | JohnDeereStore
Try checking P/N AT327018 for the work light switch. It "might" be the right one? :dunno:

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
I just did an extra light deal on our XUV560.
You should have knockouts for additional switches. Unless you are like a member here on GTT (BigJim55) as he may not cause it got EVERY option known to man. :lol:

gizmo2---nah--i still got one empty spot for something to install if i want too.

copperline----Charley boy and I just love our gator(835R) aka-the Cadillac:mocking: i sure love plowing snow with it for sure.

the one thing which is a bit temperamental is my jd plow i bought for -built by Douglas Dynamics for JD. :drama::cry:

·
Registered
361 Posts
...I already have two switch connectors behind the rightmost switch panel. Im sure one is for the overhead work lights, not sure what the other one goes to. They both have the work light symbol on the connector harness.
If the harness is similar to my deluxe cab, you have two connectors that allow you to switch each light separately.
I really like this setup as you can angle one light in the bed and one light for backing up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
....to answer someone else's question about "park", on the diesel you don't have to put the gator in Neutral to get out. If you are on flat ground and in "H", the gator stops and sits idle. You can jump out, do what you need to do, jump back in and hit the gas. No shifting required.
I would urge caution with leaving the Gator in gear while running for any length of time. Doing this will create flat spots on your CVT belt.

·
Registered
361 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts