Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how people like the Yanmar diesels? Looking at buying a x495 or x595 or a tidy 455 If I can find one. The x595 has 1600 hours. Do you guys think this is to much? how many hours do you think that it would last? It has been used by a lawnmowing company since 2006 and has been serviced by the dealer since new so I know services have been done correctly. It has a ripped seat and broken tail lights but thats only cosmetic.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Just wondering how people like the Yanmar diesels? Looking at buying a x495 or x595 or a tidy 455 If I can find one. The x595 has 1600 hours. Do you guys think this is to much? how many hours do you think that it would last? It has been used by a lawnmowing company since 2006 and has been serviced by the dealer since new so I know services have been done correctly. It has a ripped seat and broken tail lights but thats only cosmetic.

Thanks
I've got 1200 hours on my X748, which is basically the same as a x595. It still runs the same as it did new. According to the service manager at my dealer they should go 3-4 thousand hours.
The Yanmar diesel has a fine reputation.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I had over 2400 hours on my 2004 x495 when I sold it because I moved off that acreage. It always started and ran just as it was intended. It had over 2200 hours when I bought it from a local cemetery, and it too was maintained by the Deere dealer so I had no fear about its treatment during those rather high hours. These are great motors...should go as much as 5,000 hours if you keep the induction air clean.

Also, the "vintage" Deere garden tractor that I still have is a 1992 model year 322 which is a gas Yanmar power plant quite similar to the diesel in the 332 versions of similar vintage. Yanmar parts through Deere are a bit expensive, but correct maintenance means you don't many engine parts very often -- just air filters, fuel filters and oil filters.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
By the way, my x495 also had a very worn/torn seat and bad tail lights with I bought mine. GreenFarmParts.com had what I needed at reasonable prices...getting the duct tape glue residue off was the hard part (used WD-40...)

x495 old right taillight and duct tape mess.jpg x495 right fender cleaned of tape goo.jpg 26x12.00-12 turf tires on x495.jpg

The seat hinge is subject to wear at high hours on these tractors, and only one-half of the hinge comes with the new seat. Here is my "hardware store" fix for that other half that is integral to the suspension mechanism that was otherwise in decent shape:
x495 seat suspension with worn eyelets.jpg x495 seat repair bracket plus bushing.jpg x495 seat repair brackets and hinge pin.jpg

It won't wear out now!! Here is a view of the finished seat, and the seat bracket wear on the seat half (which was replaced with what came with the new seat assembly from GFP)
x495 new seat with switch and repaired suspension.jpg x495 seat bracket worn eyelets.jpg

Used x495 and x595 tractors can be real bargains if you know they are well maintained as to the internal engine components -- don't be afraid of some cosmetics (and tires of course...) This 2004 X495 only cost me $1800 when I picked it up from the cemetery...and it had the 3-pt and the 62 inch mulching deck. I added the Al Z load-lifter and some pallet forks.

may 13, 2012 002.JPG x495 load lifter first use.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hiya,

I wouldn't worry about the hours, 4000+ is what the Deere wrenches say. Other than the radiators plugging and allowing the engine to overheat and pop a head the only things I have noted over 2000 hours is seals, glow plugs/preheat circuit and injectors. Those aren't anything that should make you shy away from them, I would be more concerned with the hydrostatic transaxle pump and PTO system condition. I would see if you can get a pressure test and a oil analysis of the hydraulic system to make sure it's up to snuff.

I would also check the gearbox on the mower deck, they don't get a lot of attention for fluid changes.

Tom

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The gearbox on these mowers is rubber isolation mounted and those rubber parts can wear completely through. Here is what mine looked like when I got it -- remember it was used in a marble orchard and likely was fetched up against hard items quite a lot...there was added heavy plate welded on the mower deck edge as you may be able to see in the above images. Below are the rebuild documentation pictures.
new bushings vs old worn bushings & bolts.jpg new vs old front mount - 62C gear box.jpg new vs old rear mount - 62C gear box.jpg

Those little steel lined bushings are quite expensive from Deere so I found a source that required me to buy a quantity, but were really worth doing that way. If anyone wants to replace their bushings on the gearbox, I can send 4 bushings post paid for $25 (I have three or four sets left...) which is about what one costs from Deere.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I might take you up on that. I changed mine out at around 800 hours, and they were pretty shot. Do you have a solution for the deck wheel spindles? I thought it would be nice to modify them with a lathe so you don't have to replace the whole drilled rod.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Arlen,

PM me an email address and we can discuss the bushings and how to ship.

Those anti-scalp wheel spindle assemblies come in two versions -- metric and inch. Later decks have the metric hardware, and my tractor was an early 2004 that is supposed to be inch size. The cemetery also had a later tractor in the same model and they at one time replaces all the wheels and mounts with the later metric versions (probably by mistake...) You can see in the images that the undersized metric ones wore oddly because they rattled in the mating tube. They also had metric clevis pin holes so they could not be set at 90 degrees to help roll the deck out from under the tractor. The cemetery crew drilled one clevis hole out enough to set the wheel height.

I fixed all that during my deck "tuneup" which also replaced the front hanger stirrups and the hex section blade drive belt -- damn that belt is expensive! If you keep the wheels themselves lubed you should not wear out the wheel axle at 800 hours...

metric vs inch size gauge wheel post.jpg new vs old yokes at front draft arms.jpg

Some of this wear may be a bit difficult to see in the images above.

Chuck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, When my L110 sells I will proceed further into seeing if its possible to get a hydraulic pressure test. The sales man rung me yesterday and said it was used commercially, and has been traded in on a new model. It has been run through the workshop and had a new mower deck belt, Had gearbox work on the mower, replaced worn anti scalping wheels, new blades and repaired brackets for the anti scalping wheels. I know the yanmar is a good engine but am worried about the hours, are these high hours? 1644.5 Hours. Salesman said that because of the condition cosmetically I should be able to get the price down a bit if I offer them cash, its listed at $9,755 and is trying to push it down to $7,250 to much?

I only mow around 1.5 acers of grass but it takes around 3 hours to do on my L110, the main reason for looking at a x400,500,700 is the suspension seat... I my L110 is very uncomfterble to mow on for 3 hours strait as the seat is shot and only has springs... :thumbsdown:

Heres some pictures that the dealer has, its a 2006 with 1644.7 hours, 54 inch deck (48 is hardly an upgrade from 42 and 62 is way to big for my needs) and it has been fully checked by there workshop.
2241240.jpg
2241241.jpg
2241242.jpg
2241243.jpg
2241244.jpg

It also looks like it had a loader fitted at some point, should I be worried about this?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I have no idea what the going prices are in New Zealand but it certainly is a fraction of the replacement cost of a new unit, if you can get it for $7000 or less. Availability of this type of equipment in your area may be an issue as well, and prices will reflect that. If you find it meets your needs and budget then it is a good deal for you.

I have never been in much of a rush to buy a used Deere and have always just watched and waited for a great bargain -- hence my $1800 x495 private party deal from a couple of years ago. I made an exception once -- when the wife wanted a new dedicated mower for our last place that could bag the grass and be agile around our many landscape features -- so bought a NEW all wheel steer x304 in 2007. I have never regretted buying any Deere machine, new or used...as I make the value judgement according to my needs, time available to put things straight if needed, and budget versus functional capability, etc.

Good luck with your decision, and post more pictures if/when you get it.

Chuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts