Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know that Yanmars similar version to the 1025R, the SA424, lifts over 1200 pounds at the fel? That’s more than the 2038R I’m waiting on. Makes you wonder how they get so much more lift out of a 24hp subcompact tractor than JD.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn’t know what to call it. Just thinking out loud.

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
The SA424 is closer to the "old" 2025R than the 1025R when you look at specs. Wheelbase is 6" longer than the 1025R's and it weighs 600 lbs more.

But, as you questioned, it still has 175lb more loader lift capacity (at the pivot pins) than the 2025R has.

Interestingly, the SA424 has a 1,209lb 3pt lift capacity where the 2025R is rated at 1,433lbs. So you have 175lbs more at the loader but 200 lbs less on the 3pt. (As anoher odd-ball item, the old 2025R/2032R have more 3pt lift capacity than the new 2032R/2038R.)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I hear ya, Jim. Some of these numbers make you really scratch your head. It makes me wonder if these numbers we get are real capabilities or liability numbers crunchers setting them low. A 24hp 1800 pound tractor shouldn’t be out lifting a 2450 pound 38hp tractor. Bottom line.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It's all in the hydraulic pump not the engine. Whatever engine that pump is hooked to just needs to spin at the correct RPM to power the pump correctly. I bet the HP draw to run the pump on a 1 series is not that much.

With that said, the pump in the JD has to be rated lower than the one in the Yanmar or they have set the by pass pressure low. With the pump on the 1025 it powers both the hydraulic and steering systems so it's not going to be that powerful. I am sure JD does this on purpose for several reasons, liability is part of it. You also have to remember you don't want the FEL lift capacity exceeding the rating of the front axle. That is probably also a factor in this, maybe not in the bigger tractors but for the smaller 1 series, I am sure it is. I suppose you can always shim the valve like some have done on the 45 loader used on the older X7 series. The problem though is you can possible make the FEL lift more than the front axle capacity of the tractor or the benefit may not be worth the effort. If you need to lift a lot of weight, JD is going to make you get a bigger tractor and heavier tractor. Their business plan is designed that way.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very good answer, 69. Different brand tractors do have much different philosophies on the ratio of tractor size and lift capacity. I love John Deere. It’s in my blood. But I will admit, JD seems to have some of the most conservative numbers in the market.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes it's the pump pressure and capacity, and what is used for the implements versus what is
diverted for the power steering. The Yanmar 424, as Jim said, is very close to the old 2320/2025R
which makes sense because Yanmar built those tractors for Deere. Yanmar put a bigger pump,
cast iron hydro, and more lift capacity.

I bet the Yanmar 424 is a great tractor. But there is one thing Yanmar didn't do and that is put
differential lock on those smaller machines. Personally I want and need that feature.

The "old" 2320 and 2025R were definitely fine tractors, that Deere decided to not offer in that size
and capability any longer. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'd bet it's more just how each manufacturer calculates the rating and where there level of safety falls with respect to liability and publishing of the data.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
It's all in the hydraulic pump not the engine. Whatever engine that pump is hooked to just needs to spin at the correct RPM to power the pump correctly. I bet the HP draw to run the pump on a 1 series is not that much.

With that said, the pump in the JD has to be rated lower than the one in the Yanmar or they have set the by pass pressure low. With the pump on the 1025 it powers both the hydraulic and steering systems so it's not going to be that powerful. I am sure JD does this on purpose for several reasons, liability is part of it. You also have to remember you don't want the FEL lift capacity exceeding the rating of the front axle. That is probably also a factor in this, maybe not in the bigger tractors but for the smaller 1 series, I am sure it is. I suppose you can always shim the valve like some have done on the 45 loader used on the older X7 series. The problem though is you can possible make the FEL lift more than the front axle capacity of the tractor or the benefit may not be worth the effort. If you need to lift a lot of weight, JD is going to make you get a bigger tractor and heavier tractor. Their business plan is designed that way.
i do believe u hit the nail on the head so to speak:thumbup1gif:at least in my tractor--as my hydraulics was very impressive when i first bought it-even with my brush hog back then for ballast--i could still lift the right rear tire off the ground. but i feel that led up to my front axle failing in the left side(shaft and bronze part in their all being worn out.
i have since replaced both sides of front axle with the upgrades they(jd) made to the 2720's model--and added a ballast box-anytime loader is on--ballast box is on too--unless not digging anything:good2:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will give credit where credit is due. While researching for my tractor choice, I dropped by a Massey dealer that’s real close to the house. I checked out their 17 series. Not bad machines. In my opinion, JD layout and comfort level was much higher. But the one thing I will give them an edge in was their front axles. Much beefier than JD’s. I guess in my opinion, and it’s just my opinion, I think for what we pay for our tractors, we could use a little beefier front axle. I also realize that not one tractor is best at everything, have to pick the one that meets the most of your needs, and I did. The 2038R.

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
Edited thread title and moved to the correct forum. :good2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts